News   Jun 28, 2024
 4.1K     5 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.9K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 666     1 

Unique Houses in Toronto

92 Westwood Lane, Richmond Hill, designed by Bruce Kuwabara

A Characteristically Finessed Interior Includes the KPMB Detail of Recessed Slot Lighting in a Suspended Plaster Ceiling.
fireplace-HI.jpg

Another nice Art Gallery, Bruce...
ohhh... wait... That's a house? Yikes! Don't forget to whisper!

Anything can look like a gallery without much furniture. You could fit a lot in there with those wide open spaces. So unless you want a slew of cramped small rooms or an interior with random pillars blocking the versatility of the space, what's not to like?

Anything can look like a gallery without much furniture. You could fit a lot in there with those wide open spaces. So unless you want a slew of cramped small rooms or an interior with random pillars blocking the versatility of the space, what's not to like?

I don't like anything that doesn't have a comfortable place to sit... or tries to hide the TV somewhere that makes you crank your neck because some designer doesn't believe it should be the centre piece of a living space.

I don't like anything that doesn't have a comfortable place to sit... or tries to hide the TV somewhere that makes you crank your neck because some designer doesn't believe it should be the centre piece of a living space.

you're right, there is no question that the TV should be the "center piece" of any living space. i'll make sure the owners of this house get your message. there is no doubt they will want to move out immediately.

I know it's a gross generalization, but generally speaking, architects like to have their interiors photgraphed before their clients actually move in, to emphasize the spacial qualities and purity of their designs. The implication, of course, is that the personalization that follows is "downhill" from there, unless (like in, for example, Frank Lloyd Wright houses, or Mies' Tugendhat House) the architect designs and arranges the furniture and the clients adjust.

This is in contrast to interior designers, the best of whom actually think about how people live and want to use their spaces. Two recent interiors that come to mind are Cecconi Simone's model suites at "X" and "Charlie":

"X" model suite:

X-18a_edited.jpg

"Charlie" model suite:

Charlie_005.jpg

It isn't unreasonable for Kuwabara to design a residence for two people - one of whom is a sculptor - that includes large spaces where sculptures can be created and displayed, and where the owners can throw the big parties they enjoy giving. The versatility of these large, open rooms is part of their custom quality, paradoxical though that may seem to some. Hariri's art collectors' residence is also quite simple in plan ( albeit a large house compared to where most people live ... ) with a health and fitness wing, an art gallery wing, and living quarters at the apex of the two.

Such clients have neither the common fear of unadorned wall space nor a belief that television should be the focus of their lives. To each their own.

While there are obvious advantages to custom designed spaces - Gehry's small galleries that house Thomson's Milne and Krieghoff collections at the AGO, for instance - there are also drawbacks. In the AGO's case, the Gallery can't use them for large sculptures or paintings if they decide to switch things around. But they've balanced that off, in their recent reno, with an entire wing of large open spaces where contemporary art can be installed, and changed as the need arises.

The second one made me smile - my preference is usually firmly in favour of the traditional. I really like the play-on-proportions and form.
(I like the materials the first is clad in, but boxes don't do it for me....)
AmJ

Surprised this one never got mention.

Bolster Ave @ Maybourne, in the St Clair & Vic Park area
(google map)

bolmay3.jpg

I'm surprised that this little beauty on Shaw Street wasn't mentioned either.

WARNING: Pippy-poos and doo-dads everywhere and may not be appropriate for all audiences (thinking of you, Shocker). Viewer discretion is strongly advised.

---

1016 Shaw Street.

1016ShawStreet2.jpg

1016ShawStreet1.jpg

More in the way of yard-decoration than house accoutrements, there's something not dissimilar on the E side of Armadale S of Bloor. (I've heard some neighbourhood-terror lady lives there.)

Back