News   Jun 26, 2024
 52     0 
News   Jun 26, 2024
 262     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.8K     1 

Union Station: Northwest PATH Expansion

Am I reading this right... there closing a portion of York St for an entire year?

It's going to be traffic hell down there for a year. Really bad. The south end of Spadina is terrible now too with the streetcar track reconstruction. I wish they would phase these rebuilding plans one after the other, and not all at the same time.

It's going to be traffic hell down there for a year. Really bad. The south end of Spadina is terrible now too with the streetcar track reconstruction. I wish they would phase these rebuilding plans one after the other, and not all at the same time.

If you look on the bright side though, once it's all completed, there won't be anymore or much less traffic jams due to road closures later.
No matter how you look at it, traffic will be a problem downtown with so much building construction going on.

The good news is, for 1 year, pedestrians will be able to cross York/Front, York/Piper and York/Wellington without an airport shuttle, tour bus, and other oncoming car traffic in the way! :cool:

I swear every road in the GTA is under construction right now...
I was told by a city official that it's going to be like this until 2015. Then there will be nothing because of the PanAm games. So we suffer now, but it will be good for one summer at least. Although then there will extra traffic because of the games.

Am I reading this right... there closing a portion of York St for an entire year?
The section that runs in front of the Royal York will be closed for a year, that's the north bound only portion so it won't affect the most important section that runs under the tracks. It means all the traffic coming north on York will be forced to use University. It will impact morning rushhour but not the afternoon.

One road that isn't under construction is the Bathurst bridge. Originally slated for reconstruction this year, with the construction on Bay, York, Spadina, and Strachan the city decided it was best to hold off for a while.

It will be hell over the next couple of years as all the mothballed streetcar tracks are removed.

It will be hell over the next couple of years as all the mothballed streetcar tracks are removed.
The TTC plans to remove the Adelaide tracks in 2019 (maybe) so it will take more than a couple of years! (They will supposedly be removing the unused sides of Wellington and Richmond in 2013 and 2014.

Traffic lights have been installed at York for eastbound traffic on Wellington. I guess this is to allow access to York, south of King, when it is completely closed south of Wellington. Wellington will have two small two-way sections separated by a small one-way section.

Last edited:
New signage was installed today and promptly covered up, but not before I had a look. It appears the plan is to close York entirely from Front to Piper. From Piper to Wellington I am 90% sure from the sign I saw that it will be two-way to maintain access to buildings.

That's correct. The closure and two-way sections on Wellington and York are expected to be in effect for ten months.

New signage was installed today and promptly covered up, but not before I had a look. It appears the plan is to close York entirely from Front to Piper. From Piper to Wellington I am 90% sure from the sign I saw that it will be two-way to maintain access to buildings.

And its now in effect... as exactly as you stated. They also closed one of the cross walks - although from what I saw today people just took up a lane to cross.

why is this thread in projects & construction but the union station revitalization is not? perhaps if it was, it would get more attention/updates.

Back