News   Jul 11, 2024
 521     0 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 636     1 

Union Station: Northwest PATH Expansion

Map here:

ScreenShot063.jpg

Last edited:
I'm a little surprised this construction hasn't gotten stared... or even tendered. At some point in the second half of 2012 the west concourse is expected to open and soon afterwards the east concourse will go under construction. That will be a huge bottleneck with no Northwest PATH.

Something is going on - I think preparatory work:

YORK ST
at FRONT ST W. York Street two east side northbound lanes closed overnight north of Front Street West. York Street one
northbound right exit lane closed south of Front Street West. Closure for PATH Tunnel construction; police on scene for traffic.
START: 6/12/2011 9:00:00 PM
END: 6/16/2011 5:00:00 AM

I also think it is possible that the contract for the PATH extension (at least the first parts of it) may be part of the Union Station work and all of it is being tendered by Vanbots. "Vanbots, a division of Carillion Construction Inc., has been selected by the City of Toronto as the General Contractor/Construction Manager to undertake the Union Station Revitalization Project. Vanbots, as the general contractor for the Project, will seek subcontracts with trades including, as and when appropriate, through the establishment of a pre-qualified roster for various trades required throughout the Project. "

I'm assuming this will be more of a blank walled tunnel like the western PATH routes rather than an underground mall like the Bay St routes...

I'm assuming this will be more of a blank walled tunnel like the western PATH routes rather than an underground mall like the Bay St routes...

I think that is how it will/should start....but they would be smart to leave some room for some potential retail of the quick hit variety....if traffic through there is as much as people think it could be there could be some income generating potential.

I was standing in the York teamway on Friday waiting for a train (well waiting for them to announce which track my train was gonna be on) and I noticed how much heavier the flow of people is through there now.....and thought...."Wonder if they plan to put some food kiosks/stands in here? Someone could make some coin"

Believe it or not but the PATH is starting to become a tourist attraction. I was really surprised when a friend from Glasgow had read about it and was interested in going to TO to see it. He's not into architecture or urban planning--just though it sounded fascinating.

That has been true of Montreal's 'Underground City' for years; when I lived there through the 90's I used to get tourists asking me where it is quite a bit. It's not as extensive as TO's but some of it does have an openness, particularly around some Metro stations, that is lacking in Toronto underground walkways.

We were told at the Union Station Revitalization briefing on Monday that the York GO Concourse would not open until 2013, and that the Northwest PATH would go under construction this fall. It's too early to know, however, if they will have the PATH open in time for the new concourse. That's the hope, though...

Thanks for posting that Alvin- its good to see that the review panel is not only taking an interest in the large scale stuff, but the smaller more detailed work as well. I would like to see the design review panel receive the power to have a bit more teeth. I am concerned however, that while a lot of their suggestions are good and should probably be either considered or implemented. That these are ultimately just architects working for their clients, and at the end of the day they are really just trying to make more money and not spend it on a more sculptural entrance to an otherwise utilitarian pathway system. However, I think that regard,was this is the approach we need to take and it seems to be working..for the most part.

Pfive

Toronto mulls plan to expand world's longest underground shopping complex

More than a century after Toronto’s first underground pedestrian walkways were built, the city is finishing off a master plan that calls for the PATH system – the world’s longest underground shopping complex – to extend south toward the waterfront.

As more people start living and working south of the traditional financial district, the PATH will have to be able to get them there, said Michel Trocmé, a partner in Urban Strategies Inc. He helped develop the draft plan, expected to be voted on by city council in 2012 and which will also influence the city’s official plan review in the fall.

The system, which joins subway stations, business towers and food courts, now contains more than 1,000 stores. With about 100,000 commuters passing through every day, nearly $1.5-billion in sales revenue is generated each year.

As well as looking at where the sprawling path should spread next, a draft version of the plan also looks at how to fund it all.
More.......http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news... RSS/Atom&utm_source=Home&utm_content=2277195

City eyes expansion of underground PATH system
The plan also proposes an extension linking Union Station and a waterfront development east of Yonge Street, and extending the system west from Yonge Street towards University Avenue, the newspaper reported
http://www.cp24.com/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20111220/111220_path_system/20111220/?hub=CP24Home

Last edited:
It's interesting that there doesn't seem to be much talk of PATH going north, such as to Aura/College Park, or of building out a separate north section from Bloor-Yonge (taking in One Bloor), or even of connecting up to Ryerson to the east.

The current talk concerns existing, under construction, or planned buildings. Once Aura is in place with its knockout panel at the south end and Ryerson starts talking about Yonge & Gerrard, we'll hear more about that one again then, for example. I remain surprised, however, that 1 Bloor is not planning to connect in better - but maybe it has to do with the Hudson Bay Centre which may not have any interest in providing a connection at their end. (Just speculation! Who knows?!) Will 1 Bloor have knockout panels facing west under Yonge? Hmm…

Even from that article, if they're planning to connect UHN (which wouldn't be hard, all of those hospitals are connected underground anyway), connecting Aura to the PATH seems like it would be a logical first step. From Aura they'd have a connection all the way to Bay/College, and then they'd just have to go two blocks further west to get to MaRS.

Finally! The tender call to build the NEW PATH.

Commodity: Construction Services, Construction Services
Description: Construction of North West Path Pedestrian Tunnel From Union Station to 1 University Avenue.
Front Street to Wellington Street West.

The Northwest PATH Tunnel is an underground tunnel extending from Union Station over Front Street and terminates on the north side of the York / Front intersection. The tunnel consists of a cut and cover cast in place concrete tunnel structure. The tunnel has complete architectural finishes, with full mechanical and electrical services. The tunnel will terminate in the existing plaza at the intersection of Front Street and University Avenue with a stair and an elevator to street level within transparent glass street enclosures.

The Work of this Contract, consists of providing all labour, products, equipment, plant, tools, utilities and supervision required for the supply, demolition and removals, construction, installation and placement, fabrication, testing, and commissioning required to construct the Northwest PATH tunnel, entrances and connections to the existing PATH system.

Work in this Section is divided into descriptive sections which are not intended to identify absolute contractual scope and limits between the Contractor and its Subcontractors. The Contractor shall be responsible for organizing division of labour and supply of products and services essential for the detail coordination and completion of the Work.
Issue date: June 18, 2012 Closing date: August 2, 2012 at 12:00 Noon

Back