News   Jul 12, 2024
 824     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 744     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 314     0 

U of T: New Varsity Stadium (Diamond + Schmitt)

What a shame... U of T is capable of building really great landmarks - and this addition to the campus is turning out to be a complete failure.

Does UofT offer any art related courses? If so, the students will be all over this in protest.

Actually, it wasn't nimbies that got us this one, it was the students. There was a referendum on whether the school should levy a $75 fee on all students for some number of years in order to fund the construction of a real stadium, and it was overwhelmingly rejected.

And in defense of the students, I was one of the many who voted against the levy. It's not that I was against the new stadium, it was more that the annual athletic fees were already something like $300 a year, which was basically just for a gym membership that I've never, even once, used. I wasn't interested in shelling out even more for something I didn't want in the first place.

I don't know why everyone is dissapointed in the bubble. Considering that the whole project was a cheap-out, you had to see this coming.

Good lord. They devolved major decision-making powers affecting the future of the university ... to students?

And in defense of the students, I was one of the many who voted against the levy. It's not that I was against the new stadium, it was more that the annual athletic fees were already something like $300 a year, which was basically just for a gym membership that I've never, even once, used. I wasn't interested in shelling out even more for something I didn't want in the first place.

Me too.

Regardless of the students deciding against funding a "real stadium", I somehow doubt that any variation would include a roof to allow use of the field during the winter.
Varsity stadium in itself is pretty harmless, it's the bubble that we all seem to have a problem with.

Get used to it I say, because apparently the same solution will be used at BMO field @ the Ex.:\

I haven't seen the bubble yet but at any rate the issue here is use of the facility in the winter. Regardless of if the stadium itself is a cheap-out the fact is there was no intention of building a covered stadium at any cost so the bubble would be there anyway. What did we expect a retractable roof? Aesthetically it's only a matter of time before the engineering students come up with some bright idea to enhance the "look" of the bubble.

Engineers make things work. Making things look good is not high on their priority list.

I'm crossing my fingers that the high profile of this area because of the new ROM will be sufficient to attract enough eyes, minds and willingness to improve this stadium.

A bubble made out of ETFE would be nice. Think Eden Project...

As to engineers not having a sense of aesthetics - not Santiago Calatrava. The chance that U of T engaging him in a project? Close to zilch.

AoD

Before the bubble, the site was used in winter as storage for a huge pile of dirty snow.

Since it's white, they can shine crazy coloured lights on it at night.

bubble

the bubble is drab and disappointing. Also, the track surface is simply black ashphalt, which will be hard on the knees of users. Such a beautiful venue for a track deserves a decent track surface. The viewing stands on the Northwest corner is a plus.

Re: bubble

the track isn't finished - from the website:

"The stadium and air-supported bubble will be completed in late fall 2006. The eight-lane track will be in place by spring 2007."

also:

"Varsity Centre’s state-of-the-art 400-metre, 8-lane track will feature Polytan M surface – the first Polytan track in Canada – and will meet International Association Athletics Federations (IAAF) Class-2 standards. Widely viewed as the ideal surface for both training and competition, the Polytan M surface has produced a wealth of world records."

More here:
www.varsitycentre.ca/about-varsity-centre/the-facilities/international-class-track/

Back