News   Jul 12, 2024
 825     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 746     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 314     0 

U of T: New Varsity Stadium (Diamond + Schmitt)

Re: bubble

I can't imagine that asphalt will be the final surface of the track. The Davenport family has given them $1.7 Million for the project, and the track will be named after them.

There's a longstanding tradition on this forum of despairing over project details before the jobs are finished. Patience humanscale.

Zen Master 42

Re: Varsity Stadium

Yes, there is something to be said for waiting to see the details. However, I've already formed the opinion that this redevelopment is a major lost opportunity. The property fronts on Bloor Street, for Pete's sake, the classiest stretch of arterial street in the city. The lack of a decent front wall with some commercial space facing the street is hard to understand. Possibly some office space could have been put above it. And a "bubble", no matter how artistically conceived, surely won't substitute for a real building.

(Why do images of the failed retractable stadium roof in Montreal keep intruding into my mind? :rolleyes )

This outcome is all the more disappointing in view of several nicely designed new buildings on the U of T campus in recent years, not to mention major cultural projects literally within stone's throw. This thing will stick out like a sore thumb IMO.

^ Yeah, they definitely should have squeezed a 3 foot deep Prada kiosk in there somewhere. The trophy wives with lapdogs could then stroll along and window shop at the old Observatory next door, or the York Club's wall, or the OISE library. After all, the homeless guys that open the Tim Horton's door for change deserve pretty things to look at...

Engineers make things work. Making things look good is not high on their priority list.
Making their mark on campus spaces, on the other hand, tends to be rather higher on their priority list, particularly for the graduating classes from the various programs each year...

I wouldn't go as far to say that it is in an inappropriate location, as it has been there forever, but I agree that a better attempt should have been made to incorporate the north side of the stadium into the context of Bloor street. It looks a bit rediculous now. Beyond this blunder on the north side the stadium looks okay to me.

U of T should have built a small retail building along Bloor and used the revenue to help pay for the new facility and its maintenance.

I wonder if they couldn't have done something like this.

Basically, you have 2 stands facing eachother, with metal wire hung between them and a fibre (like the one the bubble uses) draped on top.

The back side of one of the stands could front on to Bloor and house commercial spaces, which could fund the maintenance of the stadium.

"Engineers make things work. Making things look good is not high on their priority list."

My suspicion is that university these days is all PC, toned down and serious but what I was refering to is waking up one morning to see the bubble has grown a set of breasts.

What do you know? Diamond SHIT Architects designed this too. That firm is scarring our city from top to bottom.. sheesh! >:

In good news, it looks like a Bloor frontage will be built during the upcoming phase II:

Phase I, slated for completion in late fall 2006, includes:
A new 5,000-seat stadium
State-of-the-art artificial playing field
400m eight-lane international class track
An air-supported bubble over the field in winter to enable year-round use

Phase II will include:
A revitalized Varsity Arena, including:

New main south entrance and north entrance from Bloor Street for spectators
Expanded intramural and visiting team change rooms
New sound system, media gondola and upgraded lighting
Refurbishing of the team and reception rooms
Therapy and emergency event care room
Air conditioning and dehumidifier for summer use
New public washrooms, officials change rooms, administrative offices and concession stands
Upgrades to spectator seating
A multi-storey Centre for High Performance Sport that will include:

Three dedicated laboratories for teaching, testing and research
State-of-the-art equipment to monitor athletes’ ongoing progress
A dedicated strength training and assessment area
Athletic therapy and emergency care space
Offices and meeting rooms for sport scientists and coaches
Team rooms and support services

I visited the Bubble today and was horified to see how f**ken ugly it really is. The only saving grace is that you can't really see it unless you're around the immediate area. The stadium seating conceals it when viewed from the east [I think it may not even be visible from the corner of Avenue and Bloor]

Here are some pics of the Bubble Blob [note: looks much worse in person than in the pics]:

DSCF4716.jpg

DSCF4717-1.jpg

DSCF4723.jpg

DSCF4724.jpg

DSCF4721.jpg

DSCF4726.jpg

DSCF4727.jpg

DSCF4728.jpg

DSCF4729.jpg

DSCF4730.jpg

OMG
exorcist_vomit.jpg

Even the bleachers look horrible. How could UofT build something like this after CCBR and Pharmacy? >:

On a good note, the ROM is looking stunning from this viewpoint.
DSCF4727.jpg

At least somebody coming from the West will have their expectations completely lowered while walking on Bloor by passing by Varsity. When they get to the ROM they'll be floored.

Then again, somebody passing the ROM first will have their architectural high shot down quickly soon after.

Given the great/interesting architecture of the ROM and Royal Conservatory, it is all the most distressing that of all things a nondescript bubble is there.

^ the good news is that the bubble is only there during the winter. The bad news is that's 3/5's of the year. :(

I was afraid the west side of RCM would be slabtacular and it seems my fears might come true.

Dare I say the bubble looks almost neat contrasted against the white Crystal shards, with the Victorian old McMaster building in between?

"How could UofT build something like this after CCBR and Pharmacy?"

The Pharmacy building is ugly. Even if you like the pods, go see the building during the day and you can't help but be disappointed and/or a bit queasy.

Back