News   Jul 12, 2024
 857     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 772     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 324     0 

U of T: New Varsity Stadium (Diamond + Schmitt)

I meant the most strident on this board, but I was somewhat involved in the opposition on campus.

"You admitted you're not particularly familiar with the area and you refused to acknowledge that a mixed use development - that anything other than a playing field behind a wall - is simply not going to materialize. You were so concerned about squandering the development potential of this site and the ability of Yorkville to organically grow westward, and now you'd be happy with a parkette just to spite those who think a modest stadium isn't the end of the world...yeah, you seem enlightened."

Methinks 'he' doth protest too much.

Clearly you 'need' to feel right about this, yet you've conveniently glossed over, and haven't pointed out where I used the term 'world class'. While at it, how about indicating where I refuse to acknowledge that the stadium is going to be built, and where I say that Bloor West should *only* be developed for retail. If you're going to attempt to represent my arguments I'd appreciate it if you'd do so accurately.

"...I don't think this streetscape is 'precious' to me"
yet you said:
"that maintains the streetwall of what is one of the city's most luxurious and prominent thoroughfares would have been more appropriate."

Basic reading comprehension here: the former indicates a subjective response that you have falsely ascribed to me, whereas the latter, my actual statement, is simply an observation. Do you not think that Bloor West through Yorkville is not one of the city's most "luxurious and prominent thoroughfares..."? Again, if you're going to represent my opinions I wish you would read and understand them first.

"I've said that the site plan could be improved and I'm not 100% satisfied with it, but you still haven't divulged why exactly you are opposed to a stadium along Bloor other than a simple hatred of sports. You're willing to turn the site into a park so I guess you don't care how intensely the land is used and you don't oppose the York Club across the street (or any of the other non mixed-use enclosed properties all around there) even though it's just an exclusive institution walled off from everything else around it."

It doesn't really matter what I think, does it? Clearly you do not care about, or have any interest in any differing opinion about this site; and you're going to misrepresent what I have to say about it anyway. From the begining my opposition has been to the development of a site - development that I 'acknowledge' is going to happen, by the way - for a use that *I think* is no longer preferred for this location. I don't "hate" sports, and have never stated this, so stop attributing false statements to me.

Babel has made a cogent, reasonable, and remarkably less vitriolic defense of the stadium that does give me pause, and I'm willing and happy to admit so. That said, I still would prefer a mixed-use plan for this site, whether a mixture of retail, residential, academic or institutional. Sue me!

"The Colonnade *is* luxurious. The only thing de-luxurizing it is the 80s+ glitzy renos; but otherwise, it still holds its own, some 45 yrs later... "

Well, I kind of expected that you would disagree :)

The Colonnade is an excellent example of restrained and nicely proportioned International Style. We're lucky to have it.

Varsity Stadium Update

Bubbling over with excitement at Varsity

Article from www.insideToronto.com
CARRIE BRUNET
Dec. 21, 2006

In a clear sign that the project is forging ahead, the University of Toronto raised the bubble on its newly constructed Varsity Stadium Wednesday.

The 5,000-seat stadium has been funded in part by the university, with the rest of the funds coming from private donors and a fundraising campaign. The completed project is expected to cost $56 million, with a U of T contribution of $16.3 million, leaving a $40-million gap to fundraise.

A $1.7 million gift from the Davenport Family Foundation was made earlier this year. The all-season track will be named for John L. Davenport, who was the track coach and a champion pole-vaulter at the university in the late 1920s.

"It's an enormously generous gift," said Bruce Kidd, dean of the faculty of physical education.

The all-weather bubble will allow the track to be used year round.

"It's like putting up a circus tent," said Kidd. "We had to stretch out the fabric on Saturday and Sunday, and now it's going up."

Installing the bubble also requires a ventilation system and a furnace.

"It's complicated technology," said Kidd.

While the field of the stadium is nearly completed, it's still technically a construction site, and hasn't been used for play yet, said Kidd. "Phase one is 90 per cent complete," he said. The top two layers of the track on the outer perimeter of the field still need to be poured and cured, but that will have to wait for warmer weather.

The next phase of construction will include building locker and shower rooms, staff offices, storages and cross-training areas.

"We also intend to renovate Varsity Arena," said Kidd. "We are vigorously pursuing donors for that."

In the meantime, he called the inflation of the bubble, "a very exciting first step."

In the future, the bubble will go up every year around mid-November and come down in April, said Kidd.

Although the project is behind schedule, Kidd said he's proud of the achievements thus far.

"It was a first time, so we're all learning," said Kidd. "We're delighted to have got this far."
------------------------------------------

Glad to hear they are this far ahead. Good to see more facilities like this using bubble technology for year round use. I think they plan to do the same at BMO Field and North Toronto Collegiate. Does anybody know if they plan to do the same with the new soccer pitch proposed for Lake Ontario Park?

The bubble looks awful, especially with its spiffy new neighbours at the RCM and the ROM. I wonder if it has to be a white bubble, if they couldn't at least airbrush something nice onto it

So the bubble's in and inflated? Funny, I've walked down Devonshire twice since Wednesday and I didn't notice it...

A fellow once told me of exiting a bubble phys ed facility at Dalhousie a few years ago. He wasn't aware that you need to go through an air lock. He went out an emergency exit, along with an enormous rush of air that blew him off his feet!

There's no reason why a "bubble" has to be a conventional-looking thing. The principles of innovative good design can be applied to anything; air structures invite creative play.

They could've had fun - shaped it like a football scrum, or a bobsled, or a giant frisbee, or a soft ROM Crystal, or whatever, if they'd had the courage to do so.

Maybe it should look like the Allianz Arena, complete with coloured lighting.

foto2.jpg

In the 1960's, air structures were used in quite innovative ways, with unusual designs, when they were a celebration of the possibilities inherent in a lively counterculture.

When I was at OCA in the early 1970's some students created, and then inflated, a huge plastic shape in the former courtyard during the winter, sprayed it with water to make a huge frozen igloo, splashed colours all over it, and lit it from within.

By the 1980's, air structures had become "commercial product" to cover tennis courts and the like. But I think their potential is being rediscovered.

Except at the U of T.

Wasn't the Allianz the one that had a rain leak during the World Cup?

I passed by it today. It is extremely embarrassing. For a moment I thought I was riding the GO bus on the QEW in Oakville. I began to formulate ways in my mind to destroy it. It is an extreme act of contempt by U. of T.

The back edge of it is visible on the ROM webcam...urgh. What a drab embarassment, considering what could have been built, and what's right next door.

Back