News   Apr 18, 2024
 439     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 3.3K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.1K     4 

TTC: Streetcar Network

Signalizing Edna Ave would largely solve that problem. There's also a Metrolinx designed plan which would have the streetcars enter and exit through a signalized Edna and relocate the streetcar loop within the station, but it's currently unfunded as far as I can tell.

But even if one or both streetcar lines were extended, the cars would still need to enter the subway station. On street transfers are less convenient and safe for riders, so downgrading the transfers is basically a non-starter to begin with. And even if they were willing to consider it, the street isn't wide enough for two island stops, and the only access point to the station is on the west side and far enough north of the light that people would definitely jaywalk. And thanks to the Crossways building, the wind really rips through that area in the winter. The loop probably does need to be expanded at some point (same with Broadview), but they could manage that pretty easily by taking over the parking lot immediately west of the existing bus/streetcar terminal.

From what I understand the Metrolinx study really has very little influence over the TTC infrastructure and it is approaching 10 years out of date.

Doing something further west of the current station also adds land appropriation for property that could support a condo, which would mean as a seller, I'd be expecting top dollar.

I'm not sure I really see a signalized Edna solving the traffic issue, especially with the planned densification.

An on street transfer may be less convenient, but this the is the same situation the UP/GO riders are facing, along with most all other streetcar stops on the line.

When you add the pros of getting the service to support the Junction (or beyond), it seems to me like the pros outweigh the con (of having to go upstairs and turning left to catch the car on the street turn right and catch it behind the station).

Maybe there is a better solution possible once an underpass is built to take passengers to the east side of Dundas W when trying to catch a northbound streetcar.

From what I understand the Metrolinx study really has very little influence over the TTC infrastructure and it is approaching 10 years out of date.
This is true, and I'm sure that if the TTC did move forward with making changes to the station they would design a new solution themselves. My point was just that this problem has been considered and there are possible solutions with the existing land use.

Doing something further west of the current station also adds land appropriation for property that could support a condo, which would mean as a seller, I'd be expecting top dollar.
That parking lot is basically decking on top of the subway tunnel. It's not particularly suitable to a condo.

I'm not sure I really see a signalized Edna solving the traffic issue, especially with the planned densification.
And you don't think on street boarding would have a significant negative impact on traffic at that intersection, including on other TTC vehicles attempting to service the station?

An on street transfer may be less convenient, but this the is the same situation the UP/GO riders are facing, along with most all other streetcar stops on the line.
The UPX transfer was never the design, and has only been the case because of Metrolinx's incompetence. Hopefully it will be rectified soon.

By my count, eight of the current streetcar/subway interchanges are on street and eight are off street. All eight of the on street interchanges are in the downtown core and were designed more than sixty years ago.

When you add the pros of getting the service to support the Junction (or beyond), it seems to me like the pros outweigh the con (of having to go upstairs and turning left to catch the car on the street turn right and catch it behind the station).
You can still extend the 505 (or just have a new line entirely) to serve the Junction without transitioning to on street boarding. And that also conveniently ignores the fact that the current connection is shielded from the elements. Or that not every transfer is between the subway and streetcar. Or that this would add significant foot traffic to the station entrance, which is already very busy. Or the confusion that occasional riders would face with the fact that every other vehicle services the station, including the 504, but the 505 rolls right past it.

Maybe there is a better solution possible once an underpass is built to take passengers to the east side of Dundas W when trying to catch a northbound streetcar.
That would certainly improve the situation, but there is no current plan to build that underpass.

Steve Munro's article on

501 Queen: Streetcars vs Buses November 25-29, 2019

See link.

During the last week of November, the first to see streetcars return to The Beach after almost three months’ absence for construction at Kingston Road, the line had a major disruption thanks to a broken rail near Roncesvalles. This rail damaged the track brakes on 22 Flexity cars, and while the TTC searched for the problem, the line was completely switched to bus operation.

Streetcars ran on Monday and Tuesday, November 25-26, and on Wednesday November 27 until midday. Buses ran from the afternoon of November 27 to the end of service on Friday,November 29 (actually Saturday morning).

There have been calls from certain quarters on City Council for a comparison of the operation of both modes. I published an analysis of route 505 Dundas in May 2018. Broadly speaking, it showed that buses outrun streetcars only when there is no traffic in the way and operators can drive as if they are on the suburban streets they are used to.

The substitution on 501 Queen gave an opportunity to compare the two modes over the entire route, not just over a segment running with buses due to construction. This article reviews the data from November 25-29 for 501 Queen.

The data reveal various aspects of bus and streetcar operation on 501 Queen, and by extension, on other routes where a substitution might be contemplated. The results for 501 echo those seen in the 2018 article on the 505 Dundas route.
  • Across the entire route, buses travel faster than streetcars, but their performance varies from place to place, hour to hour.
  • On sections of the route where traffic is not free flowing, and where stops are busy, buses do no better than streetcars and during some periods they are worse.
  • Where traffic is free flowing, some of the advantage buses have arises from driving at above the speed limit which is 40 kph within the old City of Toronto, and 50 kph on the Lake Shore section west of the Humber River.
  • The effect of streetcar slow orders at numerous locations is clearly evident in the data.
  • Dwell time for buses appears to be slightly longer than for streetcars. This could be due to loading delays, but in turn that could be caused by the bus service being overwhelmed by streetcar-level demand. (There were complaints about the quality and capacity of the replacement service.) Also, buses lose time getting to and from curbside stops, but this is not necessarily reflected in “dwell times” because they are merely slow, not stopped during these moves.
  • I am unable to comment on service quality with buses because many vehicles were not logged on to VISION with the 501 route number. Therefore, their data do not appear in the extract I received. However, there were enough vehicles to get a sample of their behaviour and determine travel times.

With all the mid rise development going in along the queensway from the humber to sherway future ridership will be there. especially with the developments existing and planned between Kipling and Islington. it is only a matter of time before the no name mall at the corner of Kipling and Queensways get majorly redeveloped akin to galleria or agincourt. add all the residential development planned for around sherway. it is a growth corridor.

Queensway is slowly but surely becoming a condo lined, urban corridor, with the very suburban stores and malls in the background, but, if there will be a expolosion in a ridership or not is something that is warranted

Queensway is slowly but surely becoming a condo lined, urban corridor, with the very suburban stores and malls in the background, but, if there will be a expolosion in a ridership or not is something that is warranted

The question would then become, should The Queensway in Etobicoke be a streetcar right-of-way with the bus stops replaced with streetcar stops, or a more of a light rail right-of-way with stops at the major intersections (with removal of the minor bus stops completely)? And what is a "major" intersection along The Queensway?

The question would then become, should The Queensway in Etobicoke be a streetcar right-of-way with the bus stops replaced with streetcar stops, or a more of a light rail right-of-way with stops at the major intersections (with removal of the minor bus stops completely)? And what is a "major" intersection along The Queensway?

When I read this, all I think is - has no one learned from the SRT?
If it is a natural continuation of a route, then keep the technologies the same. Since it would liekly just be an extension of the existing streetcar line, then use streetcar technologies.

When I read this, all I think is - has no one learned from the SRT?
If it is a natural continuation of a route, then keep the technologies the same. Since it would liekly just be an extension of the existing streetcar line, then use streetcar technologies.

I was talking about stop placement using streetcars.

You did say light rail, so, I assumed you were thinking for the change in technologies.

Just like the 510 and 512 streetcars could be "upgraded" to be nearly light rail rapid transit status by the removal of some streetcar stops and actually using transit priority signals. If the keep the bus (converted to streetcar) stops on The Queensway, it will still be slow.

Only a few lonely CLRVs at Russell. Is the yard officially home to any Flexitys or is it being re-built right away? What comes next or "immediately next" if the CLRVs are done? I know there is a re-builid in the works to service Flexitys from the top instead of from underneath.

Only a few lonely CLRVs at Russell. Is the yard officially home to any Flexitys or is it being re-built right away? What comes next or "immediately next" if the CLRVs are done? I know there is a re-builid in the works to service Flexitys from the top instead of from underneath.

The carhouse will recieve rebuild that's correct, however Russell will countine to store some Flexities in the yard.

The carhouse will recieve rebuild that's correct, however Russell will countine to store some Flexities in the yard.
The last I heard, the yard is to be rebuilt as well. Mostly 501 and 511 Flixities were store there from what I have seen so far.

They will most likely do the same thing as Roncesvalles complex by adding a taller building on the west side to deal with overhead work.

The last I heard, the yard is to be rebuilt as well. Mostly 501 and 511 Flixities were store there from what I have seen so far.

They will most likely do the same thing as Roncesvalles complex by adding a taller building on the west side to deal with overhead work.
The ladder track at the south side was completely rebuilt only 5 years ago when they took half of Eastern Ave. I figured that rebuild was to accommodate three Flexities end-to-end on each storage track.

The ladder track at the south side was completely rebuilt only 5 years ago when they took half of Eastern Ave. I figured that rebuild was to accommodate three Flexities end-to-end on each storage track.
That true, but the overhead still needs replacing along with the tracks. TTC started some yard work, but waited tell all the old fleet was gone to the whole yard and not interfere with daily operation. Easy to move cars to the Leslie yard once Roncesvalles is 100% done and back in operation while work takes place at Russell. Easy to build the new west bay with no cars in the yard along with other work.

Back