News   Nov 30, 2020
 659     0 
News   Nov 30, 2020
 357     0 

TTC: Streetcar Network

micheal_can

Member Bio
Reaction score
Concerning the plans to spit the 501 into two routes, the 501A and 501B.

Wouldn’t the 501B Long Branch to Riverside Loop be only a temporary route. Until that is, the Ontario Line (AKA Downtown Relief Line) goes into operation? Whenever that would be.

With the Ontario Line’s Leslieville Station or the Downtown Relief Line’s Carlaw Station (both located on Queen Street East), wouldn’t it become the new eastern “terminal” for the 501B? And would it be a on-street transfer or off-street paid-area transfer? For both the 501A and 501B?

That should put a wrinkle with Metrolinx plans.
Maybe it is how things are done in the past, but why should a busy streetcar route be shut down when a subway that follows it is opened?

Rainforest

Member Bio
Reaction score
Concerning the plans to spit the 501 into two routes, the 501A and 501B.

Wouldn’t the 501B Long Branch to Riverside Loop be only a temporary route. Until that is, the Ontario Line (AKA Downtown Relief Line) goes into operation? Whenever that would be.
If it becomes a "temporary" route for 7 years, from 2020 till 2027 when the Ontario Line (possibly) goes into operation, then it will outlive quite a few other TTC routes.

With the Ontario Line’s Leslieville Station or the Downtown Relief Line’s Carlaw Station (both located on Queen Street East), wouldn’t it become the new eastern “terminal” for the 501B? And would it be a on-street transfer or off-street paid-area transfer? For both the 501A and 501B?
I think bigger changes will occur on the east side of Queen. It will make a lot of sense to run more frequent streetcar service east of Leslieville or east of Carlaw, as feeders from the beaches to OL, than in the central Queen where the streetcars will co-exist with the subway stations.

The west side of Queen will not see much relief from OL, at least from the first phase of OL, thus there will be fewer reasons to modify the western service.

W. K. Lis

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Imagine if they did NOT remove the streetcar tracks on Yonge Street, Bloor Street, and Danforth Avenue. They would have the use of larger and longer vehicles to use as shuttles doing the subway shutdowns on weekends, and night streetcars as well.

From link. 1945 Streetcar System Map.

1576291751234.png

Notice the wye's at Scollard/Yonge and Price/Yonge.

From link.

What I'm worried about is the slow disappearance of trackwork that could be used for detours or short turns. I would like to see the return of wye's to allow for short turns instead of loops.

north-of-anything

Member Bio
Reaction score
Would it even be feasible to add streetcar tracks back to streets like Dupont or Bay nowadays? It wouldn't be a terrible idea to keep a downtown streetcar network growing instead of adding buses, but there would be a lot of difficulty in convincing the public, and for finding more space to store streetcars.

jje1000

Member Bio
Reaction score
I think a line that goes from Dupont Station west to Dufferin would be a good North-of-Bloor East-West connector, that lies equidistant between Bloor and St. Clair. Significant densification potential in the area as well and opportunities to intersect whatever transit line comes north in the future.

Same with Parliament; a line that connects the Distillery District, Regent Park and St. Jamestown up to Castle Frank would create a new North-South line that connects a lot of destinations - plus the tracks are mostly there already.

The other areas of focus would probably mostly be on the Waterfront and Portlands.

drum118

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
I think a line that goes from Dupont Station west to Dufferin would be a good North-of-Bloor East-West connector, that lies equidistant between Bloor and St. Clair. Significant densification potential in the area as well and opportunities to intersect whatever transit line comes north in the future.

Same with Parliament; a line that connects the Distillery District, Regent Park and St. Jamestown up to Castle Frank would create a new North-South line that connects a lot of destinations - plus the tracks are mostly there already.

The other areas of focus would probably mostly be on the Waterfront and Portlands.
TTC position is, "these tracks aren't in the official plan and we can think outside the box and ask that they be added to the "OFFICIAL PLAN""

lenaitch

Member Bio
Reaction score
Imagine if they did NOT remove the streetcar tracks on Yonge Street, Bloor Street, and Danforth Avenue. They would have the use of larger and longer vehicles to use as shuttles doing the subway shutdowns on weekends, and night streetcars as well.

From link. 1945 Streetcar System Map.

View attachment 220077

Notice the wye's at Scollard/Yonge and Price/Yonge.

From link.

What I'm worried about is the slow disappearance of trackwork that could be used for detours or short turns. I would like to see the return of wye's to allow for short turns instead of loops.
Given today's traffic densities, I would think an on-street wye would be highly disruptive. If nothing else, manual or fixed traffic control would be required.

Rainforest

Member Bio
Reaction score
It wouldn't be a terrible idea to keep a downtown streetcar network growing instead of adding buses, but there would be a lot of difficulty in convincing the public, and for finding more space to store streetcars.
The storage isn' a huge problem; the existing tracks do connect to suburban areas where land parcels for additional car barns can be found.

The difficulty to convince the public, on the other hand .. can that be a sign that the actual riders don't see much value in converting mixed-traffic bus routes to mixed-traffic streetcar routes? The travel times will be same, or maybe slightly worse because it is harder for a streetcar to get around obstacles. The headways might increase if the route does not have very solid ridership already; higher capacity per vehicle = fewer vehicles per hour. The streetcar ride is more smooth, but does it matter that much for the majority of riders?

As I remember, the research on the riders' preferences, bus vs streetcars, produce results that vary from one city to another. While Toronto downtowners appear to prefer streetcars, perhaps for nostalgic reasons in part, that kind of preference isn't universal.

There may be benefits in adding some strategic bits to the mixed-traffic streetcar network, such as extending the 505 north along Dundas (that could relief the Dundas West streetcar loop and allow for more frequent 504 service), or extending 505 further east using Gerrard and then to Coxwell Stn (more service on the route that already has 506 streetcars, plus more room at the Broadview loop for added 504 cars). There is even greater benefit in extending the 512 west to Scarlett, if that line can remain entirely in dedicated lanes. However, trying to convert every bus route to streetcar just because there is a way to fit the streetcar on the street, may not be the path to actual transit improvement.

ShonTron

Member Bio
Reaction score
The storage isn' a huge problem; the existing tracks do connect to suburban areas where land parcels for additional car barns can be found.

The difficulty to convince the public, on the other hand .. can that be a sign that the actual riders don't see much value in converting mixed-traffic bus routes to mixed-traffic streetcar routes? The travel times will be same, or maybe slightly worse because it is harder for a streetcar to get around obstacles. The headways might increase if the route does not have very solid ridership already; higher capacity per vehicle = fewer vehicles per hour. The streetcar ride is more smooth, but does it matter that much for the majority of riders?

As I remember, the research on the riders' preferences, bus vs streetcars, produce results that vary from one city to another. While Toronto downtowners appear to prefer streetcars, perhaps for nostalgic reasons in part, that kind of preference isn't universal.

There may be benefits in adding some strategic bits to the mixed-traffic streetcar network, such as extending the 505 north along Dundas (that could relief the Dundas West streetcar loop and allow for more frequent 504 service), or extending 505 further east using Gerrard and then to Coxwell Stn (more service on the route that already has 506 streetcars, plus more room at the Broadview loop for added 504 cars). There is even greater benefit in extending the 512 west to Scarlett, if that line can remain entirely in dedicated lanes. However, trying to convert every bus route to streetcar just because there is a way to fit the streetcar on the street, may not be the path to actual transit improvement.
South Etobicoke is one area where additional streetcar storage space can be found at a reasonable price, though the TTC probably wouldn't want a location too isolated from the network, which Mimico/New Toronto would be. Leslie Barns has only one way in and out, but at least once they reach Queen Street, streetcars can go either east or west, and up Coxwell if for any reason Queen Street is blocked.

There's some room at Hillcrest that could be used to build a small storage facility just for 512 and/or 511 cars, serving a similar function to Wychwood in its last days as an active carhouse.

micheal_can

Member Bio
Reaction score
South Etobicoke is one area where additional streetcar storage space can be found at a reasonable price, though the TTC probably wouldn't want a location too isolated from the network, which Mimico/New Toronto would be. Leslie Barns has only one way in and out, but at least once they reach Queen Street, streetcars can go either east or west, and up Coxwell if for any reason Queen Street is blocked.

There's some room at Hillcrest that could be used to build a small storage facility just for 512 and/or 511 cars, serving a similar function to Wychwood in its last days as an active carhouse.
Would there be a desire for new streetcar lines in the west end of the city?

W. K. Lis

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Would there be a desire for new streetcar lines in the west end of the city?
I live in the area. I would support seeing the 80 QUEENSWAY, 40B JUNCTION-DUNDAS WEST, and 512 ST. CLAIR extension (and 312 ST. CLAIR-JUNCTION blue night bus) being replaced with streetcars for examples.

torontocolin

Member Bio
Reaction score
The Queensway is wide enough that you could probably manage a dedicated ROW most of the way from Humber loop to Sherway, but it doesn't have nearly the ridership to justify that much investment. You could extend the 512 down Dundas to Kipling station and then convert Kipling South to streetcar operations, but it would have to operate in mixed traffic on Dundas and we're currently in the process of rebuilding both six points and the area around Kipling station without protecting for a future streetcar, so that would be a tough sell. And if you add the cost of that infrastructure, it would probably be cheaper to find land closer to the core of the network.

centralblue

Member Bio
Reaction score
The Queensway is wide enough that you could probably manage a dedicated ROW most of the way from Humber loop to Sherway, but it doesn't have nearly the ridership to justify that much investment.
With all the mid rise development going in along the queensway from the humber to sherway future ridership will be there. especially with the developments existing and planned between Kipling and Islington. it is only a matter of time before the no name mall at the corner of Kipling and Queensways get majorly redeveloped akin to galleria or agincourt. add all the residential development planned for around sherway. it is a growth corridor.

blu_in_green

Member Bio
Reaction score
I live in the area and would love to see the dundas west loop unloaded. That spot is really no place for Flexitys to be turning around, especially with the possible massive densification with 1540 Bloor and 2280 Dundas West. I would like either a mid-street crossover at Dundas and Dupot (close to 5 new building developments in proposal/pre-construction stage) or extended all the way out to Jane where a new interchange could be shared with an extended 512. Call me crazy....

DSC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
I live in the area and would love to see the dundas west loop unloaded. That spot is really no place for Flexitys to be turning around, especially with the possible massive densification with 1540 Bloor and 2280 Dundas West. I would like either a mid-street crossover at Dundas and Dupot (close to 5 new building developments in proposal/pre-construction stage) or extended all the way out to Jane where a new interchange could be shared with an extended 512. Call me crazy....
OK. You're crazy! Expanding the streetcar network more than already 'planned' may be good in theory but the TTC cannot maintain what they now have and are scrabbling around to find $$$ to extend on streets that have already been approved (e.g. waterfront east and west)