News   Mar 28, 2024
 102     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 230     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 2.3K     1 

TTC: Streetcar Network

With well over 100 Flexity vehicles in service, these photos will soon be scenes from the past. On a walk past Russell Division on December 23, I took these.

When Roncesvalles re-opens, are any CLRVs calling it home or has Roncy seen its last CLRV?

The last two tracks at Russell are a ALRV and CLRV scrap yard as well as two tracks at Leslie.
20181223_A.jpg
20181223_B.jpg

With well over 100 Flexity vehicles in service, these photos will soon be scenes from the past. On a walk past Russell Division on December 23, I took these.

When Roncesvalles re-opens, are any CLRVs calling it home or has Roncy seen its last CLRV?

The last two tracks at Russell are a ALRV and CLRV scrap yard as well as two tracks at Leslie.View attachment 170105View attachment 170106

Roncesvalles reopened partically on Sunday for a yard for 512 Flexities.

Hear ye hear ye. I hope y'all have your photos of Roncevalles with CLRVs because that's all there is - there ain't no more. It's all Flexity all the time now.

Oops! Went too far back in my way-back-machine. 1910...

pictures-r-1316.jpg

Toronto Railway Co., Dundas carhouse, Dundas St. W., w. side, betw. Howard Park Ave. & Ritchie Ave.; looking n.w. on Howard Park Ave.
From link.

Seriously, it's a joke that such a major route is still saddled with buses after a year, even though there are so many new streetcars now.

In previous years, the 505 streetcar would have diverted around the watermain work via McCaul, College, and Bathurst Streets, with shuttle buses running between Bathurst and University Avenue.

It's really annoying. Bus service is erratic on Dundas Street, especially evenings and weekends when supervision is light. There are long gaps in service and lots of bunching. There were issues with streetcars too, but the low floor buses just can't match the capacity of any of the TTC's streetcars. The 502, 503, and 511 are also bustituted.

I wonder if streetcar service will ever return to Kingston Road -- everything is being dumped on King Street, exasperating the shortage elsewhere, and the botched ALRV refurbishments didn't help either. Never mind new streetcar routes like Broadview South or Queens Quay East.

In previous years, the 505 streetcar would have diverted around the watermain work via McCaul, College, and Bathurst Streets, with shuttle buses running between Bathurst and University Avenue.

It's really annoying. Bus service is erratic on Dundas Street, especially evenings and weekends when supervision is light. There are long gaps in service and lots of bunching. There were issues with streetcars too, but the low floor buses just can't match the capacity of any of the TTC's streetcars. The 502, 503, and 511 are also bustituted.

I wonder if streetcar service will ever return to Kingston Road -- everything is being dumped on King Street, exasperating the shortage elsewhere, and the botched ALRV refurbishments didn't help either. Never mind new streetcar routes like Broadview South or Queens Quay East.

I do hope that streetcars eventually return to Dundas ( earilest they can is the fall when the watermain work is over ). Bathurst will get streetcars back sometime between February and April, from CLRVs and Flexities freed up from 501 and 504A.

I do hope that streetcars eventually return to Dundas ( earilest they can is the fall when the watermain work is over )
Once they are into the later phase of Dundas, only between University and Bay, what precludes them running 505 streetcars, with a detour - similar to what they've done before? Shame there wasn't another curve or so at McCaul ...

According to the Capital Investment Plan – Making Headway - Capital Investments to Keep Transit Moving at this link:

Purchase streetcars on a schedule that uses economies of scale to reduce purchase price per vehicle. This involves completing the current purchase of 204 streetcars, plus approximately 100 additional streetcars from 2025 to 2028 to meet demand, at a cost of $510 million.

Consider converting and expanding Hillcrest Complex, which is currently used to repair buses and streetcars, to a streetcar-only maintenance and storage facility at a cost of approximately $900 million. This would provide a five-fold increase in the TTC’s capacity to overhaul streetcars. The carhouses at Roncesvalles and Russell are being retrofitted to accommodate new streetcars.

I can see the 511 BATHURST and 512 ST. CLAIR streetcars being headquartered at Hillcrest soon.

Back