News   Jun 26, 2024
 21     0 
News   Jun 26, 2024
 270     0 
News   Jun 26, 2024
 356     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

In most cases, most e-bikes allow the user/operator to operate them as a bike. With pedals and cranks.

Shocking, I know.

Dan
The e bikes that don't work this way should be treated as motorbikes and not be allowed in bike lanes, and also not on transit (IMHO).

Anyway, these are relatively early days for e-bikes. Blanket bans will likely not work or be helpful

In most cases, most e-bikes allow the user/operator to operate them as a bike. With pedals and cranks.

Shocking, I know.

Dan
That's really nice (and shocking!), but what part of my question is answered by this statement? If the user of a regular bike encountered a "breakdown or injury or freak spell of bad weather", I would also expect to see them bring that contraption on public transit, instead of cycling. Note that breakdown can mean any type of failure, if my wheel popped or whatever, and I didn't have the tools to fix it on the road, I probably would not elect to spend the rest of my lifespan in the spot where the bike broke down, but I would lug it onto a bus or train and get home.

Last edited:
So what do you say to someone, then, who's stranded, and needs to bring an e-bike on public transit out of necessity? Tough luck? Should they have foreseen the breakdown or injury or freak spell of bad weather that put them in this position?
I’m sorry but I can’t see that being the responsibility of the transit agency, particularly when the agencies charge no additional fare for the bike.

E-bikes on transit are a small part of the commuting network and it is not an accessibility issue as motorized wheelchairs are.

If that’s the situation then they can plan a route which uses bike racks on buses - at least if they catch fire outside the danger to passengers is reduced - including the owner (the owner in the subway fire was taken to hospital)

if my wheel popped or whatever, and I didn't have the tools to fix it on the road, I probably would not elect to spend the rest of my lifespan in the spot where the bike broke down, but I would lug it onto a bus or train and get home.
Happened to me just over a month ago, all because of one pesky little piece of glass that was invisible on the road. Luckily it was along Danforth, so I had to get on line 2 and then do the walk of shame home.
Ofc I didn't have the tools to fix it on the road, and even if I did, it wouldn't help much, as it was a pretty time-consuming process that would be better done in the comfort of one's own home (the tires sit really tightly on the rims and prying them off requires a lot of force, then patching up the hole with some glue, waiting for it to dry, reassembling everything (putting the tires back on is as hard as prying them off), and inflating the tire to a substantial enough pressure).

Last edited:
I’m sorry but I can’t see that being the responsibility of the transit agency, particularly when the agencies charge no additional fare for the bike.
Fine.

But then, let's not act surprised when people throw their hands up and realize that they wouldn't have to deal with the headache of an e-bike failure or of transit agencies decreeing whether they're allowed to bring their device on board if they just drive.

Fine.

But then, let's not act surprised when people throw their hands up and realize that they wouldn't have to deal with the headache of an e-bike failure or of transit agencies decreeing whether they're allowed to bring their device on board if they just drive.
One of the things you learn in business is that some customers will cost you 10x or even 100x what you will ever see from them in revenue. Transit agencies make calculations all the time about the balance between service provision and cost - e-bike riders are not particularly special in that regard, and this fire and what it cost both in direct expense and the impact on those who witnessed it will have taken some people who were either supportive or at least indifferent and put them firmly in the “ban them, ban them now” column

what it cost both in direct expense and the impact on those who witnessed it will have taken some people who were either supportive or at least indifferent and put them firmly in the “ban them, ban them now” column
I, too, think public policy should be based on reactionary emotions in the wake of an accident.

The solution here is to strictly regulate battery and e-bike imports and sales. Banning e-bikes on trains is nothing but a knee-jerk reaction which does nothing to solve the actual problem. People with bad e-bike batteries will still be at risk at home or on the street. A government initiative to educate the public about the dangers of bad e-bike batteries and the introduction of an easy way to recognise good e-bike batteries (à la CSA sticker on helmets) is a better way to go about it.

The solution here is to strictly regulate battery and e-bike imports and sales.
how does this solve an issue of a legally imported bike which has been improperly charged or otherwise maintained in order to be used beyond certified limits? And what obligation is on the transit system to carry anything which is a potential and demonstrated hazard?

The solution here is to strictly regulate battery and e-bike imports and sales. Banning e-bikes on trains is nothing but a knee-jerk reaction which does nothing to solve the actual problem. People with bad e-bike batteries will still be at risk at home or on the street. A government initiative to educate the public about the dangers of bad e-bike batteries and the introduction of an easy way to recognise good e-bike batteries (à la CSA sticker on helmets) is a better way to go about it.
You do realise that it is possible to do several things at same time; first step is clearly for Feds to look at insisting on CSA certification of e-bikes and e-batteries, then there needs to be publicity about looking for CSA certification and how to charge e-bikes (and e-wheelchairs and e-cars) safely and then, maybe, restricting where one can charge any e-battery equipment and/or where they can be taken. One sees LOTS of e-bikes in subway and elsewhere and not that many fires (particularly in subway where the bike was clearly NOT being charged) - banning e-bikes on the subway is obviously an over-reaction - as is so typical on UT, and elsewhere!

It's like cars, no matter what the government does, people will still risk fines putting on after market illegal parts on their cars/motorcycles and e bikes. All the laws and regulations in the world ain't going to stop it. That's why a complete ban of e bikes is needed on the TTC. The Subway/streetcar system isn't built for motorized vehicles.

• Angry
Reactions: T3G
So what do you say to someone, then, who's stranded, and needs to bring an e-bike on public transit out of necessity? Tough luck? Should they have foreseen the breakdown or injury or freak spell of bad weather that put them in this position?

Are there e-bike towing services?
Should we let motorbikes on the subway, when they break down?

• Haha
Reactions: T3G
If that’s the situation then they can plan a route which uses bike racks on buses - at least if they catch fire outside the danger to passengers is reduced - including the owner (the owner in the subway fire was taken to hospital)
Those ebikes are actually not permitted on TTC bus racks

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2024-01-02 18-42-41.png
    Screenshot from 2024-01-02 18-42-41.png
    30.6 KB · Views: 17

Back