News   Jun 28, 2024
 3.1K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.7K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 617     1 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Tis a brave person to stand up so close to the wall in the subway. Gulp. lol
Did anyone take a real good look how it will it will effect platform space for various stations or did the $$$ sign get in the way of doing so????

Better still, lets cut a hole in the foundation wall to stick theses things in and weaken the foundation support.

Best option is place to it between the columns support that can provide display on both sides. Its out of the way and give riders something to look at than bare stations walls and riders.

Money count more than riders safety. I do stand next to the wall depending on the station as well the time of the day.

At least they are trying! Lol

Trying without success (or for that matter, good taste) is overrated.

I have him on ignore even though I still respond to some of his posts.........but I typically only see them when someone else hits reply.

Those aren't for public art; they're part of an addendum to the Ad contract and will be used for Ads.

Art may appear on them periodically.

They are a bad idea regardless.

Advertising on the platform-side walls is foolish and has low ROI.

The marketing people who think they're getting a good deal are not good at their jobs.

The TTC simply have no principles.

Indeed - and I believe we have every right to be cynical given how the platform information display worked out.

AoD

These screens are also very vulnerable to being vandalized since they're so accessible. I can think of several things that can be done to them pretty easily, I won't itemize the options so as not to give anyone ideas, but I think you've all got pretty good imaginations and experience to think of what can happen yourselves.

These screens are also very vulnerable to being vandalized since they're so accessible. I can think of several things that can be done to them pretty easily, I won't itemize the options so as not to give anyone ideas, but I think you've all got pretty good imaginations and experience to think of what can happen yourselves.

The drawbacks seem obvious enough, vandalism risk, encroachment into passenger space on sometimes crowded platforms, not very visible to many riders (you have to be standing almost in front of the screens and facing backwards towards the wall, back to the tracks).

While the paybacks seem less than obvious.

The TTC in many stations has shifted Ads at side platform stations from the centre columns to the side walls. Aside from marring any attempt at cohesive architecture/design, these ads are almost certainly read a great deal less.

Passengers naturally want to face the track, not the wall; and passengers in passing trains for the most part won't get clear, unobstructed views either, because of the locations of seats, standing passengers and window partitions/doors etc.

I'm thinking this shift was because either the TTC or the Ad company didn't want to have to book time on track level, with the third rail turned off to change posters out.

Swell, so go digital, great idea; but stick the screens where they belong. Track time only needs to be booked to swap out a broken screen, or for a once a year replacement of a film that will go over them to address brake dust accumulation.

Last edited:
I'm thinking this shift was because either the TTC or the Ad company didn't want to have to book time on track level, with the third rail turned off to change posters out.
Is that the reason behind some of those scheduled subway closures?? And here I was thinking it's always track work / ATC upgrades / etc

Is that the reason behind some of those scheduled subway closures?? And here I was thinking it's always track work / ATC upgrades / etc

I don't believe that is a cause of major scheduled closures, no.

@smallspy could better speak to that, but I believe change outs of ads are done when there is no service operating.

I can't imagine why they'd do scheduled closures for this, rather than use the overnight period. I'd think it would be cheaper for TTC to schedule an overnight closure than all the replacement services required during an operating period.

I don't believe that is a cause of major scheduled closures, no.

@smallspy could better speak to that, but I believe change outs of ads are done when there is no service operating.
To the best of my knowledge ads are changed out overnight, and only with a local power cut. They try to do this in conjunction with other local track or structure work where possible to get the most out of the closure and power cut.

In this case, if this is in fact a monolithic structure, it wouldn't have fit into the station any way other than via a work car. As far as I know they've never historically done a larger network closure for advertising installation, but I can see there having been a local Queen Station closure for a couple of hours overnight for them to bring this thing down and rigged on the platform.

Dan

Swell, so go digital, great idea; but stick the screens where they belong. Track time only needs to be booked to swap out a broken screen, or for a once a year replacement of a film that will go over them to address brake dust accumulation.
At Queen they are ALSO installing digital ad signs between the tracks. Sooo, ads everywhere!!

At Queen they are ALSO installing digital ad signs between the tracks. Sooo, ads everywhere!!
Those particular screens are to replace the fixed advertising signage already located on the columns between the tracks.

So in this case, there may actually be an operational benefit as there will no longer be a requirement to change the ads every 4-to-6 weeks.

Dan

Those particular screens are to replace the fixed advertising signage already located on the columns between the tracks.

So in this case, there may actually be an operational benefit as there will no longer be a requirement to change the ads every 4-to-6 weeks.

Dan
As always, thanks for your great factual info. Spy indeed!

They finally got rid of Line 3 in the latest Ride Guide Lite.
Winter_2024_Ride_Guide_Lite.JPG

Back