News   Jun 28, 2024
 3.1K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.7K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 617     1 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Yeah, I can totally see the cash strapped, crumbling TTC being able to control anything at all that goes on the transit system.

Union Station - New Years. Pictures from Twitter.

GCvbMj6WAAAjeba.jpg
GCveSjXWcAAjL1M.jpg
GCveSjUXIAAAM0G.jpg
GCveSjbXgAAT5d4.jpg
GCvBIISXkAAozoD.jpg

Source 1, Source 2, Source 3.

What would be the point of banning them, if there are wheelchairs and mobility scooters running around with lithium batteries? One is as combustible as any other.

The solution here should be to take a look at why this is happening - is it shoddy manufacturing? is it shoddy materials? - and then regulate it to make the problem go away.

Someone could make the case that lithium batteries are not banned aboard aircraft.

They could also say that similar batteries are used in electric cars.

My point is that it may be hard to ban them.
Lithium ion batteries are in cell phones and laptops, too.

They are not legal in checked luggage on aircraft

There are huge variations in the quality and maintenance of electric bikes. Some of the bikes I see around here (which are almost entirely used by food couriers) are in really poor condition, likely as they're used for 6-8 hours a day, every day, without proper maintenance, and are probably on the low end of the market, as they're used by young international students and immigrants without much money. Of course, this is a big problem on the Kitchener Line GO Train.

What would be the point of banning them, if there are wheelchairs and mobility scooters running around with lithium batteries? One is as combustible as any other.

The solution here should be to take a look at why this is happening - is it shoddy manufacturing? is it shoddy materials? - and then regulate it to make the problem go away.

We made legislative allowances for accessibility for otherwise prohibited practices all the time - think service animals.

AoD

There are huge variations in the quality and maintenance of electric bikes. Some of the bikes I see around here (which are almost entirely used by food couriers) are in really poor condition, likely as they're used for 6-8 hours a day, every day, without proper maintenance, and are probably on the low end of the market, as they're used by young international students and immigrants without much money. Of course, this is a big problem on the Kitchener Line GO Train.

Another concern is the quality of the batteries.

There is very little regulation and people can easily buy cheap chinese made batteries. These batteries are such poor quality that they poae a safety risk.

I once bought a battery off Amazon for my laptop (years ago). It came with 90% Chinese writing and overheated rather quickly.

I had to stop using it thinking it would overheat and go boom

Back