News   Mar 28, 2024
 1.4K     3 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 688     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 942     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

I think it means when microtransit is cheaper than a regular bus at certain times of the day. TTC would have to do the math and produce a report for every route and every period.

Ford isn't going to fund a bus when there's only a two riders hoping on the entire hour. As we all know that'll fail ttc's financial requirements so there isn't much of those around.

I think the idea works for low ridership periods for those branches that loops to serve a specific neighborhoods. Let's say the 55 Warren Park. They could have park a van at Jane and take any riders that is heading to those specific stops only served by the 55. Or they could use a van for the 118 to bring riders to and from the 96/165. The van won't go pass Wilson/Jane so riders going east would have to transfer. This only works during times when the 118 is an extra bus serving Wilson. Spring the day, the 118 is also need to add capacity for the 96/165 or otherwise they'll need to increase service, it is obviously better to keep the bus running.

I wouldn't be against it if this is temporary only till ridership recovers and funding ends. Long term use of this would be a major inconvenience to riders and security is questionable. Do everyone trust being alone at night in an Uber?

Actually, there is a "subway" serving Spadina Road. It's a section of Line 1 with stations at SPADINA (original suggested name of LOWTHER), DUPONT, and ST. CLAIR AVENUE WEST, before veering west of Bathurst Street and continuing northwest. There was a moving sidewalk between the SPADINA station on Line 2 and the SPADINA station on Line 1, but the bean-counters (who obviously don't use public transit) got rid of it (see link).

201716-ttc-spadina-1970sed.jpg-resize-_opacity_100-frame_bg_color_FFF-h_2500-gravity_center-q_70-preserve_ratio_true-w_1400_.webp

Since the TTC got rid of the moving sidewalk between the Line 1 SPADINA and the Line 2 SPADINA stations, maybe they should go what the Dutch did with one of their tunnels. Use bicycle shuttles.

Since the TTC got rid of the moving sidewalk between the Line 1 SPADINA and the Line 2 SPADINA stations, maybe they should go what the Dutch did with one of their tunnels. Use bicycle shuttles.

That really doesn't seem like it's actually a practical idea the tunnel from Line 1 to Line 2 isn't very long. Plus I'm sure that the TTC legal department would have a lot to say about it don't forget they were the ones who advised that they should get rid of the signs on escalators asking people to walk on one side and stand on another.

That really doesn't seem like it's actually a practical idea the tunnel from Line 1 to Line 2 isn't very long. Plus I'm sure that the TTC legal department would have a lot to say about it don't forget they were the ones who advised that they should get rid of the signs on escalators asking people to walk on one side and stand on another.
I had once ridden my bike in the pedestrian tunnel in Spadina station and it took me around 30 seconds from one end to the other. There were no issues.

I had once ridden my bike in the pedestrian tunnel in Spadina station and it took me around 30 seconds from one end to the other. There were no issues.
I think it would have to depend on the time of day as there can be times when it does get a fair number of people in it. Like I said before I don't really think that they would likely encourage people to ride bikes in it just incase someone gets hurt as it would be the responsibility of the TTC for that.

Siemens just released their new G1 subway trains into revenue service in Nuremberg, Germany. Siemens has already a big footprint in the rail market in North America. So it can be assumed that for the RFQ process for new TTC subway trains they will bid with their new G1 type trains. I like the colour scheme of the Nuremberg subway as it fits well the TTC scheme. Also, it’s a beautiful design of a metro train. See for yourself and all your opinions are most welcome!

587E23B2-06D5-4869-BCAB-4326F58535F2.jpeg

Siemens just released their new G1 subway trains into revenue service in Nuremberg, Germany. Siemens has already a big footprint in the rail market in North America. So it can be assumed that for the RFQ process for new TTC subway trains they will bid with their new G1 type trains. I like the colour scheme of the Nuremberg subway as it fits well the TTC scheme. Also, it’s a beautiful design of a metro train. See for yourself and all your opinions are most welcome!

View attachment 266406
Interesting. That's part of the larger Siemens Inspiro model if I'm not mistaken.

As I walked along King St W today, the overhead is still not 100% converted from Shaw St to Bathurst.

Don't know when and most likely miss it in the past, but TTC has a large yellow area on the Queen Underpass at Dufferin St as will the trough for the overhead. I guess this is for pole protection. The trough was rebuilt when they converted the overhead a few years ago.

Watching the eastbound King cars using the King underpass, it not setup for pans and will the quality of service improve once pans replace the poles?? Don't know if TTC is planning on using the ][ in place of the trough for underpasses, but will reduce the headroom for the pans as well requiring insulation between the ][ and the bridge steel work. No idea if the current pole wire support in the trough can be lower and stagger.

TTC and the province need to get their head out of their ass and go to the market for all future orders for Transit requirements than a sole supplier. At this time, BBD under Alstom control is still a sole supplier until 2023 or maybe soon based on the final deliveries as to which plants in Ontario remain open for future order.

Last edited:

View attachment 266406

The interior looks nice too!

1598888951903.png

I prefer the perpendicular seating arrangement as opposed to the benches.

Colour scheme is nice, lighting looks good (if a bit too bright)

Full-height seats that appear to have some padding too.,

The interior looks nice too!

View attachment 266711

I prefer the perpendicular seating arrangement as opposed to the benches.

Colour scheme is nice, lighting looks good (if a bit too bright)

Full-height seats that appear to have some padding too.,
It actually looks very TTC, with some European touches.

Back