News   Apr 19, 2024
 967     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 677     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.1K     3 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Heading south on Line 3 just south of Ellesmere Station. I noticed an odd looking red ttc bus in a random parking lot. It had two weird bumps on the top on each side. Can someone give me an explanation?
Without any additional details, it sounds like a battery-electric bus.

Does anyone know why the TTC is taping off the seats on the right hand side, after the first fare machine on the flexities?

You mean this???
50224980478_7f9ae41dcd_b.jpg

Does anyone know why the TTC is taping off the seats on the right hand side, after the first fare machine on the flexities?

That’s where the controller is for the pantograph. For a while, the operator had to raise or lower it at Parliament and Dundas, though now the entire 505 is operated with pantographs.

I don’t know where else the operator has to switch from pole to pantograph in revenue service, but I don’t like the closure of six seats when we’re still trying to maintaining physical distancing when possible.

Sometimes i wish the spadina streetcar can be extended to st clair or even do the ultimate going to eglinton for the crosstown connection. The 512 streetcar really be feeling the Staten Island Railway by the way its separated from the rest of the streetcar network

What are the possibilities that we have for a widening on spadina if there is even any spacing?

Sometimes i wish the spadina streetcar can be extended to st clair or even do the ultimate going to eglinton for the crosstown connection. The 512 streetcar really be feeling the Staten Island Railway by the way its separated from the rest of the streetcar network

What are the possibilities that we have for a widening on spadina if there is even any spacing?

None.

Idea is a non-starter.

If you wanted to connect to St. Clair from the south, you would start by considering a route on Bathurst since the track is there.

TTC has looked at this in the past and determined it wouldn't generate many new riders and would likely inconvenience more than it helped. (assumption was made the cars would loop via St. Clair West Stn and Bathurst bus would end there)

The other points you would look at are major roads, which have been considered for streetcar in the past or previously had such a connection.

There are 3.

Dufferin, Jane and a connection via Dundas West going up either at Keele or Jane.

None of these will happen in the next 20 years.

Jane is the most likely to be considered for LRT, but that will require the westward extension of the St. Clair line first.

I noticed the other day that the moveable barrier 'arm' at the entrance to the QQ streetcar tunnel to Union is no longer being used. They did create huge 'ruts' on the road surrounding the tracks and there are red flashing lights at the entrance portal and more bollards at York so I guess the arm was just an extra that they have given up on. We have not had any car in tunnel incidents for a while so .....

You would know the answer is no if you tried walking up Spadina or even used Google Streetview; it is never good transit planning to look only at maps and make decisions based on nothing else. Worthy of a politician!

Actually, there is a "subway" serving Spadina Road. It's a section of Line 1 with stations at SPADINA (original suggested name of LOWTHER), DUPONT, and ST. CLAIR AVENUE WEST, before veering west of Bathurst Street and continuing northwest. There was a moving sidewalk between the SPADINA station on Line 2 and the SPADINA station on Line 1, but the bean-counters (who obviously don't use public transit) got rid of it (see link).

201716-ttc-spadina-1970sed.jpg-resize-_opacity_100-frame_bg_color_FFF-h_2500-gravity_center-q_70-preserve_ratio_true-w_1400_.webp

Last edited:
I noticed the other day that the moveable barrier 'arm' at the entrance to the QQ streetcar tunnel to Union is no longer being used. They did create huge 'ruts' on the road surrounding the tracks and there are red flashing lights at the entrance portal and more bollards at York so I guess the arm was just an extra that they have given up on. We have not had any car in tunnel incidents for a while so .....

now you jinxed it!

now you jinxed it!
Na!!.....I haven't seen the arm in service for most of the year and think TTC drivers were having too many issues with it.

Back