News   Sep 18, 2020
 886     0 
News   Sep 18, 2020
 10K     6 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

TorPronto

Member Bio
Reaction score
"The TTC has estimated that installing the doors on Lines 1 and 2 would cost about $1.3 billion, which is currently funded. A report on the project is expected in the second quarter of next year."

I think that's a mistake on the part of The Star

Northern Light

Member Bio
Reaction score
I heard platform screen doors for Line 1 and 2 are fully funded and will cost $1.3 Billion to implement.
You clearly heard wrong. Line 2 doesn't have funded ATO signals or ATO capable trains; either making the cost closer to $3B for that line alone.

Accounting wise, the initiating project incurrs the full cost even if some pieces would have been done eventually anyway. See Sheppard LRT which funded majority of the GO segregation despite that being on Metrolinx's TODO list.
In fairness to @Coolstar ... ATC funding/construction is ongoing for Line 1; The trains are ATC compliant

and there is some money stashed for a pilot of platform edge doors, at one station, somewhere..........or so I might have heard......

Line 2 has most of its funding for ATC now.

From the 2020 capital budget
:
1596681487256.png

The cost of new Trains is 1/3 covered (obviously assuming contributions from other levels of gov't)

1596681637487.png

However there is no budget for platform edge doors at this time for Line 2 (unless its buried somewhere I can't see); or for any implementation on Line 1 beyond a possible pilot station.

There is an engineering study underway now for the TTC examining the technical specs, it was due to report, this year.

It is definitely not line-itemed in the capital budget.

But there are funds earmarked for modernization and capacity expansion which aren't super fleshed out.

rbt

Member Bio
Reaction score
and there is some money stashed for a pilot of platform edge doors, at one station, somewhere..........or so I might have heard......
It would be quite disappointing if the rebuilt Bloor-Yonge didn't have platform doors for the Line 1 platform; so a prototype would need to be installed and have several years burn-in before that.

But there are funds earmarked for modernization and capacity expansion which aren't super fleshed out.
Indeed. Line 2 will get there but Line 2 platform doors are a 2030's thing under the most optimistic timeline; there is no funding package that reaches out that far.

rbt

Member Bio
Reaction score
And the new trains would go to Yonge and Line 2 would get the TR hand me downs.
Maybe. It'll be interesting to see if they plan platform doors for a future 7-car Yonge train model or not. Switches, pocket-tracks, and yards were expected to be challenges for a model like that.

If the door location places either cab outside the station, then it's almost certain that Line 2 would again get hand-me-downs.

Last edited:

WillTo

Member Bio
Reaction score
Just realized today Finch Station has 3 Tim Hortons! The original one in the fare paid area on the south side, the one on the north side in the non-paid area leading to YRT/GO buses, and a new one in the fare paid area on the south side, closer to the bathrooms.

M II A II R II K

Member Bio
Reaction score
The new trains would have to have the same door spacing as the TRs to fit the door spacing as the platform doors on all lines. Hopefully the new ATC trains would be longer to take advantage of all the platform space and would then go on Line 1 first since it’s busier.

EastYorkTTCFan

Member Bio
Reaction score
The new trains would have to have the same door spacing as the TRs to fit the door spacing as the platform doors on all lines. Hopefully the new ATC trains would be longer to take advantage of all the platform space and would then go on Line 1 first since it’s busier.
I don't think that there are any actual plans for longer trains then the current fleet other than what some people have in their fantasy systems.

smallspy

Member Bio
Reaction score
I don't think that there are any actual plans for longer trains then the current fleet other than what some people have in their fantasy systems.
One of the things that the TTC is actively looking at for this next subway order is a train length of 500 feet, versus the current standard train length of 450 feet. As far as I know they are still trying to figure out all the areas on the system where this additional length will be a problem.

Dan

drum118

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Overhead Still needs to be converted that I saw on Sat and fail to looked at a few other locations..
Bay St,

Church Intersections for Richmond, Adelaide and Wellington.

Adelaide and Wellington

EastYorkTTCFan

Member Bio
Reaction score
One of the things that the TTC is actively looking at for this next subway order is a train length of 500 feet, versus the current standard train length of 450 feet. As far as I know they are still trying to figure out all the areas on the system where this additional length will be a problem.

Dan
What's your source on this?

Richard White

Member Bio
Reaction score
What's your source on this?
Over the past 15 years I've learned one thing. Never ask @smallspy for a source.

If he is making the claim, chances are it's true.

If he starts saying that a flying leprechaun in a spaceship is milking unicorns over the coast of Westeros then I would be worried and give him a drug test.

Until then take his word for it.