News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.9K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 764     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Cops at stations aren’t a panacea. Not only would it be a massive personnel commitment to cover every subway station 18x7x365, it assumes that their presence is a total deterrent, as opposed to making an arrest more likely. At least some of the people involved, unfortunately, are not making rational choices when they commit these acts.

for the additional cost incurred, there is a good chance that some of those committing these acts might have somewhere to go or something to do. Instead the people sleeping on the subway because they were evicted by their shelter at 7am after a night spent 1.25 meters from their neighbours will get pinged onwards so that TPS can give the press stats about what a great job their members are doing for the overtime they will rack up.

There is also the issue of NY cops thinking they are above the standards the riders they are policing are expected to follow - can we guarantee the extras here won’t throw their weight around and cause as much disquiet among riders as they deter, or more? https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...shoving-man-out-subway-station-after-n1281988

Apparently there is a major flood at St. Andrew. Photo from the CBC story.

1674345141773.png

King street has been closed completely. I'm guessing a watermain has burst.

Last edited:

An interesting line out of that is this:
Experts argue light rail is deliberately being held back by operators “padding timetables” so it is easier to meet performance targets and also due to stricter attitudes towards safety.
I don't know anything about the services there, but I'm guessing these are privately operated, and they have performance targets to meet, so they have engineered these targets to always bet met?

Last edited:
Cops at stations aren’t a panacea.
That’s what you took away from my post? No where have I suggested that police presence would solve all issues of passenger safety on the TTC. Cops can’t be everywhere, but they can be somewhere. That would be a start, and we can see if it makes any difference to passenger safety. I have to say that while it’s no guarantee of protection from EDPs and criminals, I felt safer noting the sporadic NYD presence on the NY subway.

That’s what you took away from my post? No where have I suggested that police presence would solve all issues of passenger safety on the TTC. Cops can’t be everywhere, but they can be somewhere. That would be a start, and we can see if it makes any difference to passenger safety. I have to say that while it’s no guarantee of protection from EDPs and criminals, I felt safer noting the sporadic NYD presence on the NY subway.
Bolded because this is important. We need people to feel safe on the TTC, or they won't take it - actual crime reduction is almost irrelevant, if we're talking about luring riders back to transit. That does mean putting police there (at least for now), though I maintain that in the long-term, reducing homelessness is going to work better.

I don't know anything about the services there, but I'm guessing these are privately operated, and they have performance targets to meet, so they have engineered these targets to always bet met?
I bet that is the case. Yarra Trams (Melbourne's operator), Torrens Connect (Adelaide's operator)
I think you know the answer 😉

Without looking it up, speed restrictions (and much heavier vehicular traffic compared to 1923) will definitely make the streetcars slower than it was 100 years ago. Did they have the stupid Queensway restrictions or the switch slowdowns or the one-car-at-a-time rules with the Peter Witts? Didn't think so. /rantover

I was in Dundas Station briefly today. There was a woman by the Eaton Centre entrance with a smelly loaded-up shopping buggy blocking everyone's way and asking for money as they tried to enter the station. A little further on, there was a guy smoking crack in the alcove to the Green P parking lot with his smoke billowing everywhere. Before I got to the gates, there was another dude trying to block people's entry to the gates to ask for change and doing it exceptionally loudly. All the while, four TTC employees were talking by the fare booth and ignoring literally everything. I realize it isn't in their job duties to remove people from the station, but I'm just shocked they can't ask people to "move along" and then call security if they don't. I'm pretty sure that's how it works elsewhere. I also realize, homelessness and mental illness isn't solved by asking people to "move along," but that's not the TTC's problem to solve either. However, they do need to solve theirs. I'm very well travelled and have to admit I've never seen anywhere else allow what the TTC currently does with their properties.

Last edited:
I was in Dundas Station briefly today. There was a woman by the Eaton Centre entrance with a smelly loaded-up shopping buggy blocking everyone's way and asking for money as they tried to enter the station. A little further on, there was a guy smoking crack in the alcove to the Green P parking lot with his smoke billowing everywhere. Before I got to the gates, there was another dude trying to block people's entry to the gates to ask for change and doing it exceptionally loudly. All the while, four TTC employees were talking by the fare booth and ignoring literally everything. I realize it isn't in their job duties to remove people from the station, but I'm just shocked they can't ask people to "move along" and then call security if they don't. I'm pretty sure that's how it works elsewhere. I also realize, homelessness and mental illness isn't solved by asking people to "move along," but that's not the TTC's problem to solve either. However, they do need to solve theirs. I'm very well travelled I've never seen anywhere what is going on with the TTC's properties now.
I mean, you did go to drug central - Yonge and Dundas Square.

Bolded because this is important. We need people to feel safe on the TTC, or they won't take it - actual crime reduction is almost irrelevant, if we're talking about luring riders back to transit. That does mean putting police there (at least for now), though I maintain that in the long-term, reducing homelessness is going to work better.

I bet that is the case. Yarra Trams (Melbourne's operator), Torrens Connect (Adelaide's operator)

I think you know the answer
😉

Without looking it up, speed restrictions (and much heavier vehicular traffic compared to 1923) will definitely make the streetcars slower than it was 100 years ago. Did they have the stupid Queensway restrictions or the switch slowdowns or the one-car-at-a-time rules with the Peter Witts? Didn't think so. /rantover
It's so amusing how precious they are over streetcars and safety, but refuse to do traffic calming measures for cars.

Agreed that the experience matters. On the TTC, you are expected. to have to resuscitate heart attack victims while getting pushed on the tracks by homeless people while "station wardens" look passively.

When the PCC streetcar trains (two PCC streetcars coupled together) or a Peter Witt streetcar and trailer ran, they were the same length as a Flexity Outlook.
Why are you now posting unrelated comments and what appear to be random links to (possibly interesting) videos in responses?

Wrong quote, this quote.

When the PCC streetcar trains (two PCC streetcars coupled together) or a Peter Witt streetcar and trailer ran, they were the same length as a Flexity Outlook.

For those who may be wondering..

This is why the Warden Station work is delayed.

View attachment 451827
Peak Toronto.

The safety thing really stuck out with the Harbourfront streetcar and the redesign of the streetcar tracks along the waterfront.

Since that rebuild, streetcars are slowed down significantly, because of the ability for pedestrians to wander onto the tracks. Especially in a touristy area.

Back