News   Jun 21, 2024
 4.4K     6 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 1.7K     3 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 1.9K     1 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

So, long-suffering TTC passengers at Kipling GO Station, who endured years of construction for the new bus terminal..........now get to enjoy the next big project!

1674228319862.png

I wonder if @drum118 know what work this will entail.

So, long-suffering TTC passengers at Kipling GO Station, who endured years of construction for the new bus terminal..........now get to enjoy the next big project!

View attachment 451499

I wonder if @drum118 know what work this will entail.

I wonder if it has anything to do with the bus roadway or RT platform?

Both of these sit somewhat above the subway tracks.

I have no idea what this is for. They rebuilt the RT platform a few years ago when they replace the glazing and other work. They also did road work for the buses.

It may have something to do with the 3rd track, the platform it self or the whole station.

They also did the roof a few years ago as well, and are currently (last I checked) doing some work on the west entrance to the station by the street-bus platform elevator.

That's unless they plan on doing all this work again for the bus roadway, RT platform and roof. And with the way this ineptly run organization is going lately, that wouldnt surprise me at all.

One thing comes to mind is the access from the station to GO Platform and the south parking lot that is not code for OADA 2025 date.

Accessibility from the subway to the GO platform is the pits and requires a long trips with many elevators trips.

If you use the bus, you take the ramp to the ground and then take the elevators to the lower level for the Hub to get under the roadway, elevator up to the walkway bridge and then down to the platform over a span of 15-20 minutes.

Coming off the subway, you have to take the elevator up to the bus platform and followed the route for the buses that will add more time.

TTC has setup the north lot for Accessibility which requires extra travel time for those who normal park on the south side in the first place.

It also could be prepared work for the line to go under CP tracks to the new yard.

Forgot about the roof and a few other things, as there be on going work they well over a decade. One could say those patch work were really patch work and time to do a full rebuild of the whole complex. It continue TTC narrow thinking how to waste money and cause issues fur riders.

Wayfinding on the bus platform at Kipling Station is terrible. Which door is the one for which bus route? Have to walk along looking for the signs over the doors. Should have signs right angled to the bus bay doors.
1674243187815.png
1674243299767.png
From link.

Is this the same for most of the subway (and LRT) stations? Of course, putting up better wayfinding signs would cost money, so it will not happen because of the pennypinchers at the TTC and the City.

Last edited:
Wayfinding on the bus platform at Kipling Station is terrible. Which door is the one for which bus route? Have to walk along looking for the signs over the doors. Should have signs right angled to the bus bay doors.
View attachment 451522View attachment 451525From link.

Is this the same for most of the subway (and LRT) stations? Of course, putting up better wayfinding signs would cost money, so it will not happen because of the pennypinchers at the TTC and the City.
Those no wayfinding signs would make riders lives a lot better if seen inside like the outside. Unless you use the platform on a weekly base, new riders are lost trying to find their bus bay walking inside. Even though I use the terminal for various routes, I run into cases as to where X is if I had not used it before or a rarely use one. I have to walk from one end to the other looking for that stop by reading the signs over the doors instead of looking for a sign that should be sticking out into the walkway or in the centre of it.

Been asked far to many times as to where X bus bay is to the point I can point to some of them though I don't use them in the first place.

Someone who work for TTC at one time at management level, complained about the wayfinding signs when they had to use a walker after having surgery for close to a year and still does even though the can walk freely today.

There are systems in Europe who have the same issues as TTC for wayfinding signs, let alone the US.

View attachment 451522View attachment 451525From link.

They could hang signs perpendicular to the doorways like Finch Station but considering the design, you won't be able to see all the signs at once. Even at Finch, Warden and Kennedy, given the amount of stuff in the middle and people around you, it's hard to find any bus without prior knowledge. Just use google, it's pretty accurate with just the 123 Sherway bus stop location slightly out of place. At least you won't be at the 45 Kipling (east) end looking for it.

The only thing the TTC did right is place the 900 bus bay beside the elevator. The 927 and 945 would likely swap places when they introduce artics on the 927.

Maybe the TTC should use gate numbers at the bus bays like at the airport? Have gate numbers associated with the route number displayed. Maybe descending or ascending with the route number?
The routes are generally group by directions, the 111, 112 and 123 go west onto Dundas so they placed them on the western side, meanwhile the 45 and 46 go north so the placed them at the east end and together so riders can take either if they need a stop south of Rathburn. The 46 and 927 have the same destination and the 927 used to run infrequently when introduced as the 191 back in the 90s so riders can take either, hence they are together and still are. The 900 is placed beside the elevator for obvious reasons. The 945 is obviously beside the 45 and placed at the further as it is rush hour only. That leaves the 40A and 49 which fits in the middle. If they organized it by lowest to highest, it makes the traffic flow so much worst for regular riders.

Last edited:

Back