346     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

drum118

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
TTC kicks off anniversary celebration with station photo exhibits

June 25, 2021

Customers travelling on the TTC may notice special photo exhibits being installed in select stations over the next week. The displays, which are being installed in 12 TTC stations, commemorate the transit agency's 100th anniversary.

On Sept. 1, 2021, the TTC will celebrate 100 years of moving Toronto. The photo exhibits are the first in a series of events being planned to mark this historic milestone, and are being done in partnership with the City of Toronto Archives.

"This year, we are marking a very exciting milestone in our city with the 100th anniversary of the TTC. For over 100 years the TTC has connected people to all corners of the city and has played a critical role in our growth and success. This new photo exhibit is a great way for residents to experience the history of our transit system and how it has expanded and changed during the past century. While we continue to build up and expand our transit system, this exhibit is an opportunity for us to reflect on the past and our pride in the TTC," said Mayor John Tory.

"These photo exhibits are the first in a series of events leading up to a very important anniversary - 100 years of the TTC. I would encourage Torontonians to take time to peruse the photo displays as they travel through our TTC stations and explore the virtual exhibit on the Toronto Archives website. The TTC has played an important role in our City's history, and these photo exhibits trace the remarkable evolution of Toronto's transit system over the past century," said TTC Chair Jaye Robinson.

Titled The TTC - 100 Years of Moving Toronto, the displays are a comprehensive collection of newly digitized photography showcasing the TTC's journey over the past 100 years. The exhibit will officially launch on July 2, 2021, and will include the in-station displays, as well as a virtual exhibit on the Archives website.

"100 years of keeping Toronto moving is a massive milestone, and I'm very excited about our upcoming anniversary," said TTC CEO Rick Leary. "These exhibits allow us to share the TTC's history and innovations over the past century with our customers. The virtual component allows customers to view the photos without having to be physically present at a TTC station."

Each display will highlight a different era in the TTC's history. The stations and exhibits are:

- Don Mills Station: Sheppard Subway Construction
- Kennedy Station: Scarborough Rapid Transit
- Main Street Station: Streetcar Advertising Cards
- Bay Station: Station Concepts by Artist Sigmund Serafin
- Kipling Station: Women Guides on the TTC
- Finch Station: Moved by Electricity
- Queen Station: Streetcar Track Construction in the 1920s
- Union Station: Harbourfront and Spadina Light Rail Transit
- Dupont Station: Yonge Subway Construction by Artist John DeRinzy
- Spadina Station: Transit System Maps
- St Clair West Station: Transit Expansion Means Development
- Vaughan Metropolitan Centre Station: Buses and Streetcars in the 1920s

The stations were chosen as they are high-traffic stations, and serve different areas in the city. All stations selected are accessible. The in-station displays will remain in place until July 2022. More information on the exhibit can be found at ttc.ca/ttc100.

Once it is considered safe to do so, the Archives will also be opening its TTC - 100 Years of Moving Toronto in-person exhibit at 255 Spadina Rd. That exhibit will be open until August 2022.

The TTC will be holding a series of events leading up to its anniversary in September, and throughout 2022. Due to COVID-19 restrictions, events will initially be virtual, or ones that people can participate in while using transit. More information about the events and activities related to this celebration will be shared on ttc.ca and toronto.ca/archives closer to September 2021.

W. K. Lis

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Some changes are suggested to the bus routes, in my area of town.

158 TRETHEWAY Keelesdale Station to Knob Hill & Oak.
178 CASTLEFIELD Keelesdale Station to Cedarvale Station.
et al.

The 178 CASTLEFIELD bus could face delays at the railway tracks, west of Caledonia. Would have to wait as the Barrie GO train crosses in front of it. Guess an underpass will have to wait till the 22nd century.
The 178 CASTLEFIELD travels along Beechborough Avenue, east of Keele Street until it transforms into Castlefield Avenue. Beechborough Avenue is crowded with 4-way stops and humps. They would be a hindrance to any bus that would travel along it. They should remove the humps and 4-way stops and replace them with raised intersections and 4-way YIELDs instead.

turini2

Member Bio
Reaction score
Good to see they're doing something for the 100th anniversary - I hoped a few years ago that a museum would be open by 2021, even if the only exhibits were the heritage fleet - old Peter Witt, PCC and the CLRV/ALRV streetcars and a "Fishbowl" bus! Oh well, something to wish for.

Jonny5

Member Bio
Reaction score
The Seasonal Service to Cherry is the only real question mark for me, in that I question is Union if the right station to link to for this.

I suppose the argument is that this is the closest 'real beach' to downtown.

I'm open minded on this one.

It had also come to be used as extra service moving tourists to and from downtown to the east and the Distillery. I could see it both losing and gaining some of those riders with a Queen's Quay routing.

Last edited:

yrt+viva=1system

Member Bio
Reaction score
So...its been awhile since I was in Queen's Park Station............seems they've been doing some redecorating since I was there last.......the new colour is a bit drab....other than some rust.....

(Yes, this is the result of the asbestos removal project and some assorted repairs as well).

Photo taken June 15, 2021:

View attachment 328304

This immediately reminded of a picture from a friend on Instagram. I believe it’s the Moscow Metro:

E394B9D4-45B8-417C-AC79-516BB7D227D4.jpeg

Simple, clean lines and good finishing.

Last edited:

ARG1

Member Bio
Reaction score
This immediately reminded of a picture from a friend on Instagram. I believe it’s the Moscow Metro:

View attachment 330817

Simple, clean lines and good finishing.
I believe they opened that station last year did they not?

Also its a pretty common Moscovian Station design. When you're building subways this deep, the most structurally sound layout is the 3 tube design where you have 3 parallel tunnels with the center one serving as a mini concourse, and then train/platform on both sides:
This design also has the advantage of being able to better control the crowding levels of what are basically island platform stations by compartmentalizing the areas where people wait in each direction - improving traffic flow, and also increases the accessibility of the station especially for those who are visually impaired as they get a wall to lean off of.

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
The 'incident' from last year, in which 2 trains nearly collided on Line 1 is the subject of a presentation to the July 7th meeting of the TTC.

The report/presentation is liked below:

I've already commented to the extent my knowledge allows on the substance of the issue, and leave it others more knowledgeable to see if they glean anything new in the link above.

I will, however, offer one comment, not on the incident per se, but on the graphics in the presentation.

I take these to be representative of what Transit Control would see on their screens; and again, would ask those more in-the-know, to verify that or correct my understanding.

To the extent that is the case, I find the way in which information is conveyed to be less than optimal.

If this is merely a case of dubious report graphics......................(rolls eyes)

DSC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
The 'incident' from last year, in which 2 trains nearly collided on Line 1 is the subject of a presentation to the July 7th meeting of the TTC.

The report/presentation is liked below:

I've already commented to the extent my knowledge allows on the substance of the issue, and leave it others more knowledgeable to see if they glean anything new in the link above.

I will, however, offer one comment, not on the incident per se, but on the graphics in the presentation.

I take these to be representative of what Transit Control would see on their screens; and again, would ask those more in-the-know, to verify that or correct my understanding.

To the extent that is the case, I find the way in which information is conveyed to be less than optimal.

If this is merely a case of dubious report graphics......................(rolls eyes)
Steve Munro, as one would expect, has a useful article. https://stevemunro.ca/2021/06/16/the-near-miss-at-osgoode-station/

dowlingm

Member Bio
Reaction score
The changes suggested in the 2022 Service Plan for the TTC which are NOT related to Line 5 opening are as follows:

View attachment 330391
I am intrigued as to how the 8 is going to operate in Coxwell Station, especially if the 404 will continue there - maybe they will load on street while they try to think of something? That used to be my “home” station up to last year, and with the 70A and 70C overlapping it was often the case when that side of the station was quite congested. I wonder if they think the 70A is going to need relief when carrying people coming down from Crosstown or something?

nfitz

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Standing on the bus platform at Coxwell, it always seemed to me that it could handle 4 routes, with the 4 sides. Are the two angled sides not long enough? It doesn't look any shorter than the 72 platform at Pape, where there's also a lot of angles.

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Standing on the bus platform at Coxwell, it always seemed to me that it could handle 4 routes, with the 4 sides. Are the two angled sides not long enough? It doesn't look any shorter than the 72 platform at Pape, where there's also a lot of angles.

Angled bits at the south end at 43ft:

1625309409421.png

Bus length 40ft

A bit tight if there are buses at the adjacent platforms, but do-able, I think.

Though, Coxwell's bus platforms and interior waiting space are abnormally small and crowding might be an issue; it can be now when the 22 is loaded.

This sent me down a rabbit hole wondering about enlarging Coxwell Stations's bus terminal area.

I have thought about this before due to the pre-existing crowding issue; the fact that the land to the south is owned by the City through the Toronto Parking Authority and that there is the opportunity to create a Danforth-facing entrance to the station's mezzanine level and a public plaza fronting same.

It turns out the City has mused about acquiring 1618 Danforth in the past (which is the adjacent site that runs all the way to Strathmore.

The area residents wanted it as a Green Buffer adjacent to the station; while Green P was interested in it as parking.

Curiously, at least as of 2012, the owner was not the adjacent Shopper's Drug Mart (whose holdings here would presumably be under the 'Choice Properties' umbrella now)

Rather, it belongs to Robertson Motors, who in turn lease it to Shopper's for parking.

Robertson was a car dealership in the area many years ago. Intriguing that the name lives on as the owner of this space.

nfitz

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Interesting thoughts. I've thought similarly that a south entrance from the mezzanine to the Green P would be useful - especially when I'm going from the drug store to the station! Though why there isn't a simple walkway on the east side of the station I don't know ...

Though, Coxwell's bus platforms and interior waiting space are abnormally small and crowding might be an issue; it can be now when the 22 is loaded.
I thought Coxwell was quite spacious inside, compared to the prerenovation structure at Woodbine or Pape - where if you were waiting for the 72 or 25, the unheated shelter wasn't easily accessible.

And what of Broadview? That station is very busy, and there's not even an unheated shelter, and the station building is much smaller than Coxwell.

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
I thought Coxwell was quite spacious inside, compared to the prerenovation structure at Woodbine or Pape - where if you were waiting for the 72 or 25, the unheated shelter wasn't easily accessible.

I agree that Woodbine, Pape and Broadview are all undersized. I think the correct measure would be to look at stations with new bus platforms and how much space is allocated for passenger waiting and circulation.

I think its fair to say all of the above and Coxwell are well below the contemporary design standard.

DSC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
I agree that Woodbine, Pape and Broadview are all undersized. I think the correct measure would be to look at stations with new bus platforms and how much space is allocated for passenger waiting and circulation.

I think its fair to say all of the above and Coxwell are well below the contemporary design standard.
Broadview could, probably, be extended further east into the parking lot?