News   Mar 28, 2024
 1.3K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 635     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 918     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

The Seasonal Service to Cherry is the only real question mark for me, in that I question is Union if the right station to link to for this.

I suppose the argument is that this is the closest 'real beach' to downtown.

I'm open minded on this one.

It had also come to be used as extra service moving tourists to and from downtown to the east and the Distillery. I could see it both losing and gaining some of those riders with a Queen's Quay routing.

Last edited:
So...its been awhile since I was in Queen's Park Station............seems they've been doing some redecorating since I was there last.......the new colour is a bit drab....other than some rust.....

(Yes, this is the result of the asbestos removal project and some assorted repairs as well).

Photo taken June 15, 2021:

View attachment 328304

This immediately reminded of a picture from a friend on Instagram. I believe it’s the Moscow Metro:

E394B9D4-45B8-417C-AC79-516BB7D227D4.jpeg

Simple, clean lines and good finishing.

Last edited:
This immediately reminded of a picture from a friend on Instagram. I believe it’s the Moscow Metro:

View attachment 330817

Simple, clean lines and good finishing.
I believe they opened that station last year did they not?

Also its a pretty common Moscovian Station design. When you're building subways this deep, the most structurally sound layout is the 3 tube design where you have 3 parallel tunnels with the center one serving as a mini concourse, and then train/platform on both sides:
This design also has the advantage of being able to better control the crowding levels of what are basically island platform stations by compartmentalizing the areas where people wait in each direction - improving traffic flow, and also increases the accessibility of the station especially for those who are visually impaired as they get a wall to lean off of.

The 'incident' from last year, in which 2 trains nearly collided on Line 1 is the subject of a presentation to the July 7th meeting of the TTC.

The report/presentation is liked below:

I've already commented to the extent my knowledge allows on the substance of the issue, and leave it others more knowledgeable to see if they glean anything new in the link above.

I will, however, offer one comment, not on the incident per se, but on the graphics in the presentation.

I take these to be representative of what Transit Control would see on their screens; and again, would ask those more in-the-know, to verify that or correct my understanding.

To the extent that is the case, I find the way in which information is conveyed to be less than optimal.

If this is merely a case of dubious report graphics......................(rolls eyes)

The 'incident' from last year, in which 2 trains nearly collided on Line 1 is the subject of a presentation to the July 7th meeting of the TTC.

The report/presentation is liked below:

I've already commented to the extent my knowledge allows on the substance of the issue, and leave it others more knowledgeable to see if they glean anything new in the link above.

I will, however, offer one comment, not on the incident per se, but on the graphics in the presentation.

I take these to be representative of what Transit Control would see on their screens; and again, would ask those more in-the-know, to verify that or correct my understanding.

To the extent that is the case, I find the way in which information is conveyed to be less than optimal.

If this is merely a case of dubious report graphics......................(rolls eyes)
Steve Munro, as one would expect, has a useful article. https://stevemunro.ca/2021/06/16/the-near-miss-at-osgoode-station/

The changes suggested in the 2022 Service Plan for the TTC which are NOT related to Line 5 opening are as follows:

View attachment 330391
I am intrigued as to how the 8 is going to operate in Coxwell Station, especially if the 404 will continue there - maybe they will load on street while they try to think of something? That used to be my “home” station up to last year, and with the 70A and 70C overlapping it was often the case when that side of the station was quite congested. I wonder if they think the 70A is going to need relief when carrying people coming down from Crosstown or something?

Standing on the bus platform at Coxwell, it always seemed to me that it could handle 4 routes, with the 4 sides. Are the two angled sides not long enough? It doesn't look any shorter than the 72 platform at Pape, where there's also a lot of angles.

Standing on the bus platform at Coxwell, it always seemed to me that it could handle 4 routes, with the 4 sides. Are the two angled sides not long enough? It doesn't look any shorter than the 72 platform at Pape, where there's also a lot of angles.

Angled bits at the south end at 43ft:

1625309409421.png

Bus length 40ft

A bit tight if there are buses at the adjacent platforms, but do-able, I think.

Though, Coxwell's bus platforms and interior waiting space are abnormally small and crowding might be an issue; it can be now when the 22 is loaded.

This sent me down a rabbit hole wondering about enlarging Coxwell Stations's bus terminal area.

I have thought about this before due to the pre-existing crowding issue; the fact that the land to the south is owned by the City through the Toronto Parking Authority and that there is the opportunity to create a Danforth-facing entrance to the station's mezzanine level and a public plaza fronting same.

It turns out the City has mused about acquiring 1618 Danforth in the past (which is the adjacent site that runs all the way to Strathmore.

The area residents wanted it as a Green Buffer adjacent to the station; while Green P was interested in it as parking.

Curiously, at least as of 2012, the owner was not the adjacent Shopper's Drug Mart (whose holdings here would presumably be under the 'Choice Properties' umbrella now)

Rather, it belongs to Robertson Motors, who in turn lease it to Shopper's for parking.

Robertson was a car dealership in the area many years ago. Intriguing that the name lives on as the owner of this space.

Interesting thoughts. I've thought similarly that a south entrance from the mezzanine to the Green P would be useful - especially when I'm going from the drug store to the station! Though why there isn't a simple walkway on the east side of the station I don't know ...

Though, Coxwell's bus platforms and interior waiting space are abnormally small and crowding might be an issue; it can be now when the 22 is loaded.
I thought Coxwell was quite spacious inside, compared to the prerenovation structure at Woodbine or Pape - where if you were waiting for the 72 or 25, the unheated shelter wasn't easily accessible.

And what of Broadview? That station is very busy, and there's not even an unheated shelter, and the station building is much smaller than Coxwell.

I thought Coxwell was quite spacious inside, compared to the prerenovation structure at Woodbine or Pape - where if you were waiting for the 72 or 25, the unheated shelter wasn't easily accessible.

I agree that Woodbine, Pape and Broadview are all undersized. I think the correct measure would be to look at stations with new bus platforms and how much space is allocated for passenger waiting and circulation.

I think its fair to say all of the above and Coxwell are well below the contemporary design standard.

I agree that Woodbine, Pape and Broadview are all undersized. I think the correct measure would be to look at stations with new bus platforms and how much space is allocated for passenger waiting and circulation.

I think its fair to say all of the above and Coxwell are well below the contemporary design standard.
Broadview could, probably, be extended further east into the parking lot?

Broadview could, probably, be extended further east into the parking lot?

It could. Though, there are all sorts of complexities:

1) Broadview doesn't necessarily need a lot more bus bays, but more room in each one, (so a wider platform more than a longer one).

2) The Streetcars, probably would benefit from platforms that held an additional vehicle (longer platform); though truthfully there are probably better ways to manage layover time and crews before that option becomes the most useful.

3) Widening the platforms would likely require at least some property taking of the rear of properties fronting Danforth; but also, likely the relocation of a TTC electrical substation.

Outlined in white below:

1625337115356.png

New Entrance Connection agreement for a development at the S/W corner of Sheppard + Yonge.

(4800 Yonge)

New connection will be accessible (elevator) + stairs.

Report to the June 16th meeting of TTC:

There is a glorious piece of City of Toronto administrative messing in there; they signed a connection agreement with no expiry. Developer was to pay $150K then is $230K now by BoC inflation; for a construction/land agreement I would be guessing the agreed value would be a lot more. But $150K + HST is all that will be paid.

In the 60s, they probably didn't think it was a problem. Smaller 30 ft buses exists and Line 2 as a streetcar replacement didn't need huge terminals like Highway 407 station.

As for Broadview and Pape, I think the Ontario Line would shift many riders away from buses. The 100 and 25/81/925 would lose most of i's riders from Thorncliffe Park area.

I also think Keelesdale Station on Line 5 would suffer the same issues as Coxwell/Pape. Too many routes for a tiny bus terminal. Currently planned for 41 Keele southbound, 941 Keele express southbound, 41 Keele northbound, 941 Keele Express northbound, 158 Trethewey and 179 Castlefield. I think some of these would have to load on street.

Back