137     0 
News   May 20, 2022
 360     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Broadview could, probably, be extended further east into the parking lot?

It could. Though, there are all sorts of complexities:

1) Broadview doesn't necessarily need a lot more bus bays, but more room in each one, (so a wider platform more than a longer one).

2) The Streetcars, probably would benefit from platforms that held an additional vehicle (longer platform); though truthfully there are probably better ways to manage layover time and crews before that option becomes the most useful.

3) Widening the platforms would likely require at least some property taking of the rear of properties fronting Danforth; but also, likely the relocation of a TTC electrical substation.

Outlined in white below:

1625337115356.png

dowlingm

Member Bio
Reaction score
New Entrance Connection agreement for a development at the S/W corner of Sheppard + Yonge.

(4800 Yonge)

New connection will be accessible (elevator) + stairs.

Report to the June 16th meeting of TTC:

There is a glorious piece of City of Toronto administrative messing in there; they signed a connection agreement with no expiry. Developer was to pay $150K then is $230K now by BoC inflation; for a construction/land agreement I would be guessing the agreed value would be a lot more. But $150K + HST is all that will be paid.

Steve X

Member Bio
Reaction score
I agree that Woodbine, Pape and Broadview are all undersized. I think the correct measure would be to look at stations with new bus platforms and how much space is allocated for passenger waiting and circulation.

I think its fair to say all of the above and Coxwell are well below the contemporary design standard.
In the 60s, they probably didn't think it was a problem. Smaller 30 ft buses exists and Line 2 as a streetcar replacement didn't need huge terminals like Highway 407 station.

As for Broadview and Pape, I think the Ontario Line would shift many riders away from buses. The 100 and 25/81/925 would lose most of i's riders from Thorncliffe Park area.

I also think Keelesdale Station on Line 5 would suffer the same issues as Coxwell/Pape. Too many routes for a tiny bus terminal. Currently planned for 41 Keele southbound, 941 Keele express southbound, 41 Keele northbound, 941 Keele Express northbound, 158 Trethewey and 179 Castlefield. I think some of these would have to load on street.

nfitz

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Broadview could, probably, be extended further east into the parking lot?
It wouldn't need extending. All they have to do is build an indoor structure where much of the covered outdoor space is - similar to the modifications at Woodbine and Pape. I'm surprised they didn't do that when they added the second entrance.

For Coxwell, if the diagonal platforms are just a foot or two too short, could always add some concrete to the platforms to the south ... there's more than enough space for the buses to loop around. Though it might interfere with the illegal parking in the loop.

Last edited:

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
For Coxwell, if the diagonal platforms are just a foot or two too short, could always add some concrete to the platforms to the south ... there's more than enough space for the buses to loop around. Though it might interfere with the illegal parking in the loop.

Currently, the 'extra' space in that loop is also used for buses to layover.

I think a couple of extra feet as it were is probably all that's at issue in respect of length; however, as the two short platforms meet, lengthening would require a change in angle of both of the short-sides of the station/platform.

There might be enough room. I haven't tried to work it out. So I'm not sure.

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
As for Broadview and Pape, I think the Ontario Line would shift many riders away from buses. The 100 and 25/81/925 would lose most of i's riders from Thorncliffe Park area.

I agree in respect of Pape. I'm not so sure about Broadview, as most of the routes out of Broadview serve areas south of the valley which run perpendicular to the O/L (Broadview (which serves O'Connor), Cosburn and Mortimer; along with the streetcars which serve areas south of Danforth. the O/L may take the edge off; but certainly the difference won't be as large as it will be for Pape.

W. K. Lis

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
I agree in respect of Pape. I'm not so sure about Broadview, as most of the routes out of Broadview serve areas south of the valley which run perpendicular to the O/L (Broadview (which serves O'Connor), Cosburn and Mortimer; along with the streetcars which serve areas south of Danforth. the O/L may take the edge off; but certainly the difference won't be as large as it will be for Pape.
If the 505 DUNDAS streetcar gets shifted over to the GERRARD STATION on the "Ontario" Line, that should "free up" some space at BROADVIEW STATION for the BROADVIEW streetcar. If they don't reroute the 505 streetcar eastern terminal, they'll need to build a third track at BROADVIEW STATION for the BROADVIEW streetcar.

201758-transit-network.jpg
From link.

Steve X

Member Bio
Reaction score
That’s true. The streetcar riders will stay. It’s more of the bus riders that can shift. Even the 87 Cosburn riders can board are Cosburn Station if they are coming from downtown avoiding Bloor-Yonge.

Even if the 505 moves to Gerrard Station, the Broadview riders will just end up on the 504 or the further Broadview streetcar.

Coolstar

Member Bio
Reaction score

Attachments

• 1625355497112.png
    1625355497112.png
    806.8 KB · Views: 66

dowlingm

Member Bio
Reaction score
It wouldn't need extending. All they have to do is build an indoor structure where much of the covered outdoor space is - similar to the modifications at Woodbine and Pape. I'm surprised they didn't do that when they added the second entrance.

The time to extend the platform (and ideally the sheltered area) was when Coxwell’s bus loop was redone and the buses were loading on Strathmore. Now an art piece has been mounted on the wall facing the parking lot, so doubtless a loop extension will cause much handwringing.

nfitz

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Currently, the 'extra' space in that loop is also used for buses to layover.
As the buses have no problems laying over now, with multiple cars parked there, things could be tightened up a bit.

The time to extend the platform (and ideally the sheltered area) was when Coxwell’s bus loop was redone and the buses were loading on Strathmore. Now an art piece has been mounted on the wall facing the parking lot, so doubtless a loop extension will cause much handwringing.
I don't see any need to touch that wall. I'm just talking about a wee bit of concrete - similar to the modifications in 2020 for the 504 platform at Broadview. Perhaps it's fine the way it is - I'm not sure what the minimums are.

DSC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score