1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 560     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 849     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

TTC expands free onboard public Wi-Fi rollout to 102 Markham Rd route

June 14, 2021

Starting today, TTC customers travelling on the 102 Markham Rd bus route have access to free onboard public Wi-Fi. The program rollout began with the 35 Jane route on May 31.

Since the launch of Wi-Fi services on the 35 Jane bus route just two weeks ago, TTC staff have seen its popularity grow steadily. In the first week, passengers on the route spent over 2100 hours on the internet during their commutes and changes have already been made to the program based on customer feedback.

"I'm proud to see the free onboard public Wi-Fi rollout expand to the 102 Markham Rd bus in Scarborough. Just last month, we launched the Wi-Fi pilot on the 35 Jane bus and we are already seeing its popularity growing with riders," said Mayor John Tory. "I want to thank the TTC for working to get this project underway and I look forward to seeing the popularity of this service grow on this route as well. All of the results from this pilot will help as the TTC prepares to have a Wi-Fi Network on buses and streetcars across the city."

"Providing Wi-Fi on our buses is one of many initiatives underway at the TTC to modernize our system and provide a better experience for transit riders," said TTC Chair Jaye Robinson. "I am looking forward to seeing more routes equipped with Wi-Fi moving forward."

"This is an initiative I've really championed since it went to the TTC Board and I am so pleased to see it come to Scarborough," said Councillor Jennifer McKelvie. "Wi-Fi on buses means more customers, especially youth, can stay connected while getting to and from where they need to go safely on the TTC."

The initiative is part of a larger City of Toronto program aimed at prioritizing and providing Wi-Fi access to Neighbourhood Improvement Areas (NIAs) in the city. The 35 Jane and 102 Markham Rd bus routes were chosen due to their popularity and location in key NIAs.

"The success of this program in just the last two weeks only emphasizes how much our customers want to see modernization on the system," said TTC CEO Rick Leary. "We know that especially now, connectivity is essential, even on-the-go, and we're both proud and excited to be improving our customers' commutes one route at a time."

Both routes are part of the first phase of a six-month pilot project that will allow the TTC to evaluate a variety of Wi-Fi service models and gather customer feedback. The learnings from the pilot will help inform the Request for Proposal for a Fully-Managed Customer Wi-Fi Network on Buses and Streetcars, to be issued later this year.

Customers are reminded to look for decals on Wi-Fi-enabled buses to inform them that onboard access is available.

Customers may also notice Wi-Fi enabled buses on other routes during the pilot and are encouraged to connect whenever onboard Wi-Fi is available.

The TTC continues to solicit customer feedback about this project. Customers can connect with the Customer Service team by phone, on Twitter, or by completing this form https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ttc.ca%2Ffeedback%2FotherSuggestion.action&data=04%7C01%7C%7Cd38e340610eb4a75e9f408d92f1ba5bb%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637592618112699180%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&sdata=%2BA%2B0mLERSWMwFwA3krAoM86mynC2koz3mgRwiVV%2BCYE%3D&reserved=0 on the TTC's website.

So...its been awhile since I was in Queen's Park Station............seems they've been doing some redecorating since I was there last.......the new colour is a bit drab....other than some rust.....

(Yes, this is the result of the asbestos removal project and some assorted repairs as well).

Photo taken June 15, 2021:

1623799735796.png

Last edited:
More like the 10th time
Show how little I follow that part of the line. Been about 18-24 months since I been up that way

A redacted version of the report into the near-miss incident on Line 1 last year has been published; and Steve Munro has some thoughts on same.

Report link here: http://ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Commiss...Engineering_Osgoode_Interlocking_Incident.pdf

Steve Munro's thoughts here: https://stevemunro.ca/2021/06/16/th...tg9TQrvtSRbsZitTmqHHD2IYRCohjeW49dGPzog66q_tY

There is a ton in here to take apart..........I will flag our railway/transit experts....... @smallspy , @crs1026 and @drum118

Lots here to take in...........this, however, jumps out at me (from the report)

However, it was reported by Toronto Transit Commission that the trip stop was tied down and out of service. The TSE Team has concluded that the northbound motor person was confused related to the operational status of the trip stop and falsely believed that it cleared after the 5A switch moved to align the northbound move, indicatingto himthat it is safe to exit the pocket track into the main line. During discussions with TTC representatives, the TSE Team was advised that there are no unique markings or identifications for train operators to distinguish between trip stops that are out of service and trip stopsthat remain in service.

Last edited:
Waiting for either the 3 BAY or 5 AVENUE buses, which will never come...

waiting-at-the-5a033f.jpg
From link.

As of this Sun., June 20, 2021, the TTC is renumbering two bus routes in advance of future rapid transit lines entering service. The 5 Avenue Rd route will become 13 Avenue Rd and the 6 Bay route will become 19 Bay. These changes are being made in anticipation of Line 5 Eglinton (Eglinton Crosstown LRT) beginning service in 2022 and Line 6 Finch West (Finch West LRT) in 2023.
From link.

TTC seeking customer input to develop 2022 Annual Service Plan

June 25, 2021

The TTC is seeking feedback from customers to help develop its 2022 Annual Service Plan (ASP).

The 2022 ASP customer survey is available online at ttc.ca starting today, June 25, and asks people to provide feedback on proposed surface routes that connect to the upcoming Line 5 Eglinton, as well as their thoughts around service initiatives to support ridership recovery. The survey will be live until July 16, 2021.

Survey results will help inform the TTC's decision-making about priorities and initiatives for its 2022 transit service.

"As part of the TTC's plan to continue to modernize its system and ensure that it meets the needs of transit riders, customers are encouraged to provide feedback to help shape the future of our transit system. I encourage residents and transit riders to share their suggestions and recommendations on how we can make the system better for all," said Mayor John Tory.

"As TTC ridership begins to recover from the COVID-19 pandemic and travel patterns continue to change, there are a number of important factors to be considered when developing the 2022 Annual Service Plan. Public consultation is a critical part of this process, as it ensures that the TTC is responsive to the evolving priorities of our transit riders and City," said TTC Chair Jaye Robinson.

"When we developed our 5-Year Service Plan & 10-Year Outlook in 2019, we committed to annual consultations with the public and stakeholders that would inform the development of detailed Annual Service Plans," said TTC CEO Rick Leary. "This process allows us to understand our customers' concerns and priorities, and ensure our service reflects their needs."

The 2022 ASP will focus on three main priority areas: Line 5 Eglinton, ridership recovery and network optimization. The customer survey will gather feedback on Line 5 Eglinton and ridership recovery, while network optimization will be reviewed at upcoming targeted stakeholder meetings.

With Line 5 Eglinton expected to begin service in 2022, the 2022 ASP will set out a modified bus service plan that will improve connectivity and reduce travel time along Eglinton Ave. Customers will benefit from direct connections to Line 5, and more reliable service. The ASP will also set out the TTC's plans for matching service capacity to demand and emerging travel patterns, and modifying services to continue to support COVID-19 recovery efforts.

As part of the 2022 ASP process, the TTC will also be holding virtual stakeholder consultations, which will target transit advocacy groups, resident organizations, people with disabilities and others. In addition, the TTC is recruiting youth ambassadors for their feedback and to assist in gathering feedback in under-represented communities.

Customers who are unable to complete the survey online can print a copy from the TTC website at https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ttc.ca%2FAbout_the_TTC%2FProjects%2F5_year_plan_and_10_y%2F2022_ASP.jsp&data=04%7C01%7C%7Ca98286fefb194da0b57d08d937e8150c%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637602292185526522%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&sdata=f0fjOxFS8GbtDtNRQGbJYLlRsKA4sFrLpPQcZpwCsH8%3D&reserved=0, or call 416-644-1152 to request that a copy be mailed to them. Once complete, the survey can be mailed to 720 Bathurst St., Suite 500B, Toronto, ON, M5S 2R4.

TTC seeking customer input to develop 2022 Annual Service Plan

June 25, 2021

The TTC is seeking feedback from customers to help develop its 2022 Annual Service Plan (ASP).

The 2022 ASP customer survey is available online at ttc.ca starting today, June 25, and asks people to provide feedback on proposed surface routes that connect to the upcoming Line 5 Eglinton, as well as their thoughts around service initiatives to support ridership recovery. The survey will be live until July 16, 2021.

Survey results will help inform the TTC's decision-making about priorities and initiatives for its 2022 transit service.

"As part of the TTC's plan to continue to modernize its system and ensure that it meets the needs of transit riders, customers are encouraged to provide feedback to help shape the future of our transit system. I encourage residents and transit riders to share their suggestions and recommendations on how we can make the system better for all," said Mayor John Tory.

"As TTC ridership begins to recover from the COVID-19 pandemic and travel patterns continue to change, there are a number of important factors to be considered when developing the 2022 Annual Service Plan. Public consultation is a critical part of this process, as it ensures that the TTC is responsive to the evolving priorities of our transit riders and City," said TTC Chair Jaye Robinson.

"When we developed our 5-Year Service Plan & 10-Year Outlook in 2019, we committed to annual consultations with the public and stakeholders that would inform the development of detailed Annual Service Plans," said TTC CEO Rick Leary. "This process allows us to understand our customers' concerns and priorities, and ensure our service reflects their needs."

The 2022 ASP will focus on three main priority areas: Line 5 Eglinton, ridership recovery and network optimization. The customer survey will gather feedback on Line 5 Eglinton and ridership recovery, while network optimization will be reviewed at upcoming targeted stakeholder meetings.

With Line 5 Eglinton expected to begin service in 2022, the 2022 ASP will set out a modified bus service plan that will improve connectivity and reduce travel time along Eglinton Ave. Customers will benefit from direct connections to Line 5, and more reliable service. The ASP will also set out the TTC's plans for matching service capacity to demand and emerging travel patterns, and modifying services to continue to support COVID-19 recovery efforts.

As part of the 2022 ASP process, the TTC will also be holding virtual stakeholder consultations, which will target transit advocacy groups, resident organizations, people with disabilities and others. In addition, the TTC is recruiting youth ambassadors for their feedback and to assist in gathering feedback in under-represented communities.

Customers who are unable to complete the survey online can print a copy from the TTC website at https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ttc.ca%2FAbout_the_TTC%2FProjects%2F5_year_plan_and_10_y%2F2022_ASP.jsp&data=04%7C01%7C%7Ca98286fefb194da0b57d08d937e8150c%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637602292185526522%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&sdata=f0fjOxFS8GbtDtNRQGbJYLlRsKA4sFrLpPQcZpwCsH8%3D&reserved=0, or call 416-644-1152 to request that a copy be mailed to them. Once complete, the survey can be mailed to 720 Bathurst St., Suite 500B, Toronto, ON, M5S 2R4.

The Line 5 bus route connections, for reference purposes:
Map+of+New+or+Revised+Routes+-+print.png

Some changes are suggested to the bus routes, in my area of town.

158 TRETHEWAY Keelesdale Station to Knob Hill & Oak.
178 CASTLEFIELD Keelesdale Station to Cedarvale Station.
et al.

The 178 CASTLEFIELD bus could face delays at the railway tracks, west of Caledonia. Would have to wait as the Barrie GO train crosses in front of it. Guess an underpass will have to wait till the 22nd century.

Last edited:
I think all of the above look pretty good to me.

Extension of Parliament to Queen's Quay is a no brainer.

Extension of Broadview to Coxwell Station will add service to a high demand corridor along Coxwell, serving the hospital, civic centre, farmer's market, high school etc.

Extension of Thistletown is not one I'm familiar with, but its a high needs area of the City, more service could only seem good.

New service along Eastern Avenue will dramatically improve access for many residents to the supermarkets at Leslie/Lakeshore, to jobs at Canada Post etc. It will also serve as a back-up for many residents if service on the Queen
streetcar is interrupted.

The Seasonal Service to Cherry is the only real question mark for me, in that I question is Union if the right station to link to for this.

I suppose the argument is that this is the closest 'real beach' to downtown.

I'm open minded on this one.

Edit to add:

My only question on the Broadview/Coxwell link is whether Coxwell station has the room.

That station has very small bus platforms and a small station building and no extra bus bays not currently in use.

Last edited:
TTC kicks off anniversary celebration with station photo exhibits

June 25, 2021

Customers travelling on the TTC may notice special photo exhibits being installed in select stations over the next week. The displays, which are being installed in 12 TTC stations, commemorate the transit agency's 100th anniversary.

On Sept. 1, 2021, the TTC will celebrate 100 years of moving Toronto. The photo exhibits are the first in a series of events being planned to mark this historic milestone, and are being done in partnership with the City of Toronto Archives.

"This year, we are marking a very exciting milestone in our city with the 100th anniversary of the TTC. For over 100 years the TTC has connected people to all corners of the city and has played a critical role in our growth and success. This new photo exhibit is a great way for residents to experience the history of our transit system and how it has expanded and changed during the past century. While we continue to build up and expand our transit system, this exhibit is an opportunity for us to reflect on the past and our pride in the TTC," said Mayor John Tory.

"These photo exhibits are the first in a series of events leading up to a very important anniversary - 100 years of the TTC. I would encourage Torontonians to take time to peruse the photo displays as they travel through our TTC stations and explore the virtual exhibit on the Toronto Archives website. The TTC has played an important role in our City's history, and these photo exhibits trace the remarkable evolution of Toronto's transit system over the past century," said TTC Chair Jaye Robinson.

Titled The TTC - 100 Years of Moving Toronto, the displays are a comprehensive collection of newly digitized photography showcasing the TTC's journey over the past 100 years. The exhibit will officially launch on July 2, 2021, and will include the in-station displays, as well as a virtual exhibit on the Archives website.

"100 years of keeping Toronto moving is a massive milestone, and I'm very excited about our upcoming anniversary," said TTC CEO Rick Leary. "These exhibits allow us to share the TTC's history and innovations over the past century with our customers. The virtual component allows customers to view the photos without having to be physically present at a TTC station."

Each display will highlight a different era in the TTC's history. The stations and exhibits are:

- Don Mills Station: Sheppard Subway Construction
- Kennedy Station: Scarborough Rapid Transit
- Main Street Station: Streetcar Advertising Cards
- Bay Station: Station Concepts by Artist Sigmund Serafin
- Kipling Station: Women Guides on the TTC
- Finch Station: Moved by Electricity
- Queen Station: Streetcar Track Construction in the 1920s
- Union Station: Harbourfront and Spadina Light Rail Transit
- Dupont Station: Yonge Subway Construction by Artist John DeRinzy
- Spadina Station: Transit System Maps
- St Clair West Station: Transit Expansion Means Development
- Vaughan Metropolitan Centre Station: Buses and Streetcars in the 1920s

The stations were chosen as they are high-traffic stations, and serve different areas in the city. All stations selected are accessible. The in-station displays will remain in place until July 2022. More information on the exhibit can be found at ttc.ca/ttc100.

Once it is considered safe to do so, the Archives will also be opening its TTC - 100 Years of Moving Toronto in-person exhibit at 255 Spadina Rd. That exhibit will be open until August 2022.

The TTC will be holding a series of events leading up to its anniversary in September, and throughout 2022. Due to COVID-19 restrictions, events will initially be virtual, or ones that people can participate in while using transit. More information about the events and activities related to this celebration will be shared on ttc.ca and toronto.ca/archives closer to September 2021.

Some changes are suggested to the bus routes, in my area of town.

158 TRETHEWAY Keelesdale Station to Knob Hill & Oak.
178 CASTLEFIELD Keelesdale Station to Cedarvale Station.
et al.

The 178 CASTLEFIELD bus could face delays at the railway tracks, west of Caledonia. Would have to wait as the Barrie GO train crosses in front of it. Guess an underpass will have to wait till the 22nd century.
The 178 CASTLEFIELD travels along Beechborough Avenue, east of Keele Street until it transforms into Castlefield Avenue. Beechborough Avenue is crowded with 4-way stops and humps. They would be a hindrance to any bus that would travel along it. They should remove the humps and 4-way stops and replace them with raised intersections and 4-way YIELDs instead.

Good to see they're doing something for the 100th anniversary - I hoped a few years ago that a museum would be open by 2021, even if the only exhibits were the heritage fleet - old Peter Witt, PCC and the CLRV/ALRV streetcars and a "Fishbowl" bus! Oh well, something to wish for.

Back