News   May 10, 2024
 2K     2 
News   May 10, 2024
 3.1K     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 1.4K     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Interesting notes on why subway costs are so high in Canada and the US:

Why American Costs Are So High (Work-in-Progress)

A summary:
1. Engineering part 1: station construction methods
2. Engineering part 2: mezzanines
3. Management part 1: procurement
4. Management part 2: conflict resolution
5. Management part 3: project management
6. Management part 4: agency turf battles
7. Institutions part 1: political lading with irrelevant priorities
8. Institutions part 2: political incentives
9. Institutions part 3: global incuriosity

I would also probably toss onto that pile labour costs and redundancies, and the whole consulant-heavy study periods as well.

There are additional insights and contestments in the comments section as well that are interesting.

I only see that happen occasionally, usually when there's a significant delay or when next train data isn't available.

I posted that when I was in St. Andrew Station waiting for a train. As far as I know service was normal at the time. However, I was later over at Ossington station and there was the usual "next train in X minutes" on signs there.

Maybe it's a thing only in the areas of the subway with ATC activated? Perhaps there is a system issue where the method of determining when the next train will arrive was tied into the old signal system somehow, and this can't yet be done in the ATC zone?

Last edited:
I wish the TTC could get me to work faster. I work at Dufferin just south of Steeles. From my place at Parliament and Carlton I can drive to work in about 40 mins or less in summer traffic.. Google Maps tells me the TTC takes 90 mins or more .

Last edited:
I wish the TTC could get me to work faster. I work at Dufferin just south of Steeles. From my place at Parliament and Carlton I can drive to work in about 40 mins or less in summer traffic.. Google Maps tells me the TTC takes 90 mins or more .

View attachment 196463
There is no way this trip would take 90 minutes, maybe 60-70, but not 90.
10 on 506, 25-30 on Line 1, and 15 on the Dufferin bus plus walk time. I'm seeing delays so that's probably why. Still don't know how 20 minutes were added to the trip time.

I posted that when I was in St. Andrew Station waiting for a train. As far as I know service was normal at the time. However, I was later over at Ossington station and there was the usual "next train in X minutes" on signs there.

Maybe it's a thing only in the areas of the subway with ATC activated? Perhaps there is a system issue where the method of determining when the next train will arrive was tied into the old signal system somehow, and this can't yet be done in the ATC zone?
Took the subway a bunch today, the only time it didn't work was at Wellesley station this morning heading northbound at around 9. All other times (Main, Keele, Union*2, BY*4, St Clair, St Clair West, College*2, Wellesley (a different trip in the evening)), the next-train was working just fine.

There is no way this trip would take 90 minutes, maybe 60-70, but not 90.
10 on 506, 25-30 on Line 1, and 15 on the Dufferin bus plus walk time. I'm seeing delays so that's probably why. Still don't know how 20 minutes were added to the trip time.
I’ll likely give it a try and find out. I wish I could take my bicycle on the subway because that’d would eliminate the slow ride from Sheppard West Stn. But bikes are verboten during the morning and afternoon rush, even if you’re reverse commuting.

So, with Cuomo continuing to stick his fingers into the MTA, do you think Byford would still accept an invitation back to Toronto? Sometimes a challenge may be too big for a single person to solve!

So, with Cuomo continuing to stick his fingers into the MTA, do you think Byford would still accept an invitation back to Toronto? Sometimes a challenge may be too big for a single person to solve!

With Ford in at Queens Park and seeing what he did to the relief line, I doubt it.

Transit planning isn't dictated by the TTC currently, it is dictated by Dougie.

I’ll likely give it a try and find out. I wish I could take my bicycle on the subway because that’d would eliminate the slow ride from Sheppard West Stn. But bikes are verboten during the morning and afternoon rush, even if you’re reverse commuting.
The TTC could really improve by just adding bicycle parking facilities at their suburban stations. It wouldn't even be that expensive of a change, and could easily pay for itself with increased ridership and low usage fees (say a 15-30$ month pass for a bike stand, across the entire lifespan of the structure (~2 million dollars for 200 spots over 30 years)).

With Ford in at Queens Park and seeing what he did to the relief line, I doubt it.

Transit planning isn't dictated by the TTC currently, it is dictated by Dougie.
There are other areas of the system that badly need work. Lack of new streetcars, waterfront transit, TTC integration, bus garage infrastructure, etc.

The best way around that would be to use a foldable bike.

Back