News   Apr 23, 2024
 438     1 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 380     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1K     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

TTC doesn’t state anywhere that foldable bikes are permitted. GO Transit does state that folding bikes are allowed in Union Station.

Hmm, I can't find anything for the TTC either. However for GO trains you are allowed to bring a foldable bike on the trains too.

Either way, these rules are a non-issue for me since I usually put my bike inside a transport bag when using transit.

It could be that they don't want to encourage people and mislead them into thinking their small folded up bike won't take up much space

Noticed the sentence "to accommodate testing of the new ATC system"

I presume this means ATC will be completely operational downtown by the end of August?

Screenshot_20190729-003808_Chrome.jpg

Steve Munro says the 508 will return with its classic route in September; trippers will run east from Long Branch to Parliament and King, then head back to Roncesvalles carhouse as in service vehicles across Carlton/College. It's been, what, seven years since that arrangement has been in place? Maybe ten?

Hmm, I can't find anything for the TTC either. However for GO trains you are allowed to bring a foldable bike on the trains too.
Either way, these rules are a non-issue for me since I usually put my bike inside a transport bag when using transit.

Nevermind a foldable bike, which is fine - I just had someone with a full-sized bike boarding on Yonge at rush - and the guy decided stand right in the middle of the doorway, much to my misfortune. I think I dropped him a few f-bombs.

AoD

Steve Munro says the 508 will return with its classic route in September; trippers will run east from Long Branch to Parliament and King, then head back to Roncesvalles carhouse as in service vehicles across Carlton/College. It's been, what, seven years since that arrangement has been in place? Maybe ten?
Saw the article. I'm sad the 505 isn't returning but this is almost as good.

I posted that when I was in St. Andrew Station waiting for a train. As far as I know service was normal at the time. However, I was later over at Ossington station and there was the usual "next train in X minutes" on signs there.

Maybe it's a thing only in the areas of the subway with ATC activated? Perhaps there is a system issue where the method of determining when the next train will arrive was tied into the old signal system somehow, and this can't yet be done in the ATC zone?

Here is what I meant about the sign at St. Andrew. I went in again today and found it was still displaying the same thing. It appears to display only this now.

Here is what I meant about the sign at St. Andrew. I went in again today and found it was still displaying the same thing. It appears to display only this now.

View attachment 196727

I believe this results from a delay down the line, a train holding too long etc where a reliable prediction cannot be made. If for example a person is at Main Street Station and the next train is holding at Warden for unknown reasons it will not be able to give a reliable prediction.

If the train is holding for 10 minutes at Warden when the distance between there and Main Street is 5ish minutes it cannot say the next train is 10 minutes based on how the system is set up I believe.

I believe this results from a delay down the line, a train holding too long etc where a reliable prediction cannot be made. If for example a person is at Main Street Station and the next train is holding at Warden for unknown reasons it will not be able to give a reliable prediction.

If the train is holding for 10 minutes at Warden when the distance between there and Main Street is 5ish minutes it cannot say the next train is 10 minutes based on how the system is set up I believe.

I was accustomed to the sign saying "Next Train arrives in N/A" (or some similar wording) in that scenario. This is the first time I have seen it displayed this way. I don't use the subway very often, so maybe they changed this sometime ago? However, if the trains are delayed, saying N/A would be preferable than saying "every 4 minutes," which is disingenuous as that's only the scheduled headway under a zero delay situation.

Saw the article. I'm sad the 505 isn't returning but this is almost as good.
If the 505 did return, it'll have to divert via Bathurst, College/Carlton, Church till construction is done. Then they still will need to run shuttle buses between Ossington to Parliament. No point in wasting so much resources.

Very interested to see how long this arrangement is going to last, especially with the streetcar shortage. It's great to see the 508 return but i'm skeptical, really skeptical.

Back