1.6K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 357     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 923     1 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Leslie Loop today.
Info: http://www.ttc.ca/Service_Advisories/Service_changes/Jun516.jsp

Plenty of confusion. Many cars did not understand that they had to turn back. On Eglinton I could tell cars were still seeing where the turn was. Even the bus driver missed the segregated lane for the bus stop.

Just wait for tomorrow. I wouldn't be surprised if someone tried to ramp through on purpose cause they are so pissed off

Was there a design competition held for these stylin' waste receptacles or did we just get lucky?

I feel as if they simply appeared one day some time ago and I've been quietly admiring their beauty
ever since.

View attachment 192534 .

These were designed with bomb threats in mind. The old garbage cans were tiled with metal rims and pretty much bolted in place. You could have put explosives in them and nobody would know.

These open and transparent bins were designed to expose the contents of the bins to prevent terrorism.

For
These were designed with bomb threats in mind. The old garbage cans were tiled with metal rims and pretty much bolted in place. You could have put explosives in them and nobody would know.

These open and transparent bins were designed to expose the contents of the bins to prevent terrorism.
For real?

For real?
Absolutely for real. Garbage cans in tube stations were a favourite target of Irish terrorists in the 1970s. Which lead first to simply having no garbage cans, to the more recent solutions of having clear bags.

Though Quebec terrorists always preferred Canada Post boxes.

Absolutely for real. Garbage cans in tube stations were a favourite target of Irish terrorists in the 1970s. Which lead first to simply having no garbage cans, to the more recent solutions of having clear bags.

Though Quebec terrorists always preferred Canada Post boxes.

Indeed. During the Armenian Bomb Threats in 1985 they had to seal off the garbage cans to prevent explosives from being placed in them.

The transparent bags allow you to see inside them and detect any explosives. They also produce less shrapnel when they explode as well compared to the previous design.

Not to mention that not only did the old bins become essentially gigantic frag grenades if you stuffed explosives into them, they also looked the part as well.

tossed_subway_bins_01.jpg

I would love to know how successful the TTC is at recycling anything now. With the end of the "commuter newspaper" era a few years ago, do they even get enough clean recyclable material to have loads that are not contaminated to a point it simply all goes to the landfill anyway?

I would love to know how successful the TTC is at recycling anything now. With the end of the "commuter newspaper" era a few years ago, do they even get enough clean recyclable material to have loads that are not contaminated to a point it simply all goes to the landfill anyway?

Based on what I am seeing, most times the recycling will go to the landfill. The bins are always contaminated because people cannot tell the difference from a quick glance. Even myself, when I walk up to the bin cannot tell where I am putting my trash, I just see a bin and aim.

The TTC needs to do a better job identifying their bins if they want clean materials.

Based on what I am seeing, most times the recycling will go to the landfill. The bins are always contaminated because people cannot tell the difference from a quick glance. Even myself, when I walk up to the bin cannot tell where I am putting my trash, I just see a bin and aim.

The TTC needs to do a better job identifying their bins if they want clean materials.
Take a look at the photo of the bins at 9991. I really don't think the TTC can be blamed for not making it clear. Users are the problem, but I suppose it's better to put 'stuff' in ANY bin than throw it on the floor or the tracks.

Considering it's the same bunch that have no qualms about throwing commuter papers and food wrappings on the subway floor, I'd consider people throwing away their garbage in a bin to be a win - because lord knows they can't even enforce littering bylaws on the system properly. Frankly, if they want to do recycling on the TTC, they should do the sorting after.

AoD

People in my condo couldn't get it straight, I have no faith in the general public on the TTC or elsewhere getting it right
Given how frequently they change the rules, and inconsistencies across similar stuff, it's not 100% the fault of those not getting it right.

For example paper coffee cups used to go in the green bin, but they changed it to garbage. Meanwhile paper ice cream cartons go in the green bin?

Used to be Type 1 through type 7 plastic containers went in blue bin, then later it was all plastic containers. Now you stick black plastic (even type 1) containers in the garbage?!? But only in Toronto ... in Mississauga they still go in the blue bin. And the instructions for the (private) office recycling is different yet again - even in Toronto.

Yeah, newspapers should be easy enough ... but wait, if you use newsprint for fish and chips, then it goes in the green bin ...

Was there a design competition held for these stylin' waste receptacles or did we just get lucky?

These bins appeared shortly after 9/11, a decision reinforced by the London subway bombings in 2005. The older solid/tiled bins were removed (see below) from all platforms and about 6 months later, after lots of papers blowing around and trash everywhere (seriously, janitors had a full time job at nearly every station), these started appearing. I believe security persons allowed them because they are easy to see into from a distance and would not create any shrapnel. So it's a design largely driven by function.

tossed_subway_bins_01.jpg

photo by Sam Javanrouh

Last edited:

Back