1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 383     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Portions of TTC's Line 1 to close this weekend for signal modernization

November 28, 2018

This weekend, Dec. 1-2, TTC crews continue to install the Automated Train Control (ATC) signal system on Line 1 Yonge-University, requiring portions of the line to close for periods of time. On Sat., Dec. 1, there will be no service on the portion of Line 1 between Finch West and St George stations. On Sun., Dec. 2, there will be no service on the portion of Line 1 between Finch West and Lawrence West stations.

At the end of the weekend, the entire area between Vaughan Metropolitan Centre and Dupont stations will run on ATC. This milestone means that customers riding along that portion of the line will encounter more reliable service and fewer delays due to signal issues. When ATC is fully implemented on Line 1, it will provide a more modern and reliable signal system that will allow for an increase in the number of trains operating on the line.

Shuttle buses will run throughout the weekend. Customers should visit https://eur01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=www.ttc.ca%2FService_Advisories%2FSubway_closures%2Findex.jsp&data=02%7C01%7C%7C581342c70c474c9e3fcb08d6556e1964%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636790328690099711&sdata=%2BXmWkj0QilQ%2FDpQnweKpmrUfcmSyhsHwSuWGOv%2FYYJc%3D&reserved=0 for more information.

Wheel-Trans will be available upon request from any station throughout the weekend. Customers can speak with a TTC staff member for more information about service frequency.

The TTC is committed to keeping customers informed about work and events that impact service and about alternative routes. For the most up-to-date information, follow @TTCNotices on Twitter or sign up for eAlerts.

Thought Vaughan to Dupont already had ATC ?

Yes, whether the train will need to stop when changing from fixed block to ATC. IIRC, there is currently a delay north of Sheppard West when SB trains change from the old system to the new one. Will this same issue move downstream and make its way around the rest of line 1 as they install ATC (and line 2 in the coming years)?

That depends on where they put the entry point for the ATO. I seem to recall that it was right at Dupont Station, but it's been so long since that section was active that I can't honestly remember.

Thought Vaughan to Dupont already had ATC ?

The ATC/ATO had been installed in two sections, from Dupont to Yorkdale and from Sheppard West to the end of the line at VMC. The section that is hoped to be opened this weekend is the short section linking the two, as well as the hostler platforms in Wilson Yard.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Dec 8/9 and Dec 15/16 subway closures cancelled :)

Hopefully this does not delay Crosstown scheduled opening.

Mayor John Tory says Toronto should agree to share info with the province on uploading the TTC subway

Mayor John Tory is recommending that the city co-operate with the provincial government in an information-sharing agreement that would further Premier Doug Ford’s controversial plan to upload the TTC subway system to Queen’s Park.
According to correspondence obtained by the Star, Ontario Transportation Minister Jeff Yurek requested in a Nov. 29 letter to Tory that the city share information about the TTC with the province.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...the-province-on-uploading-the-ttc-subway.html

So, John Tory wants the subway to be uploaded ? Everyone needs to think of all the diasterious things that the PC government will do to the subway system.

So, John Tory wants the subway to be uploaded ? Everyone needs to think of all the diasterious things that the PC government will do to the subway system.
Actually Tory says he does NOT want the subway uploaded but seems to think the best way to stop it is to cooperate with the Thug and get a set of agreed 'facts' about cost etc. Presumably he expects the costs of uploading will scare the PCs off. Not sure this is a good strategy but at the end of the day, as we saw with the Ward fiasco, if Thug wants to do something he can and knowing the value of a theft is always useful.

Last edited:
Actually Tory says he does NOT want the subway uploaded but seems to think the best way to stop it is to cooperate with the Thug and get a set of agreed 'facts' about cost etc. Presumably he expects the costs of uploading will scare the PCs off. Not sure this is a good strategy but at the end of the day, as we saw with the Ward fiasco, if Thug wants to do something he can and knowing the value of a theft is always useful.

Well, Tory I knew along didn't want the subway uploaded, but all of this raises the question ? Why does Ford want this ?

If they uploaded the entire thing we would lose our streetcar system
How is uploading the infrastructure for Line 1, 2, and 4, going to have any impact on streetcar operations?

Yes, but think about the fares for a second. Probably, the PCs would raise them again.
Why do you think that? As far as I know, they are talking about uploading infrastructure (and have been talking about this for years now), not operations.

How is uploading the infrastructure for Line 1, 2, and 4, going to have any impact on streetcar operations?

Where are you getting this? They are taling about uploading infrastructure (and have been talking about this for years now), not operations.

I meant the entire TTC system. It is no secret the fords hate streetcars and love slashing service in the name of efficiency.

I meant the entire TTC system. It is no secret the fords hate streetcars and love slashing service in the name of efficiency.
Why do you think that's a possibility? I've heard nothing about uploading even subway operations, let alone surface routes. Well, other than the usual union and left-wing fear-mongering which seems to have no factual base.

Why do you think that's a possibility? I've heard nothing about uploading even subway operations, let alone surface routes. Well, other than the usual union and left-wing fear-mongering which seems to have no factual base.

The minister of transportation is looking to takeover the subway system under Metrolinx. There was a news report last week I believe where they mentioned the possibility of taking it all over as well.

The minister of transportation is looking to takeover the subway system under Metrolinx. There was a news report last week I believe where they mentioned the possibility of taking it all over as well.
That news report was about uploading infrastructure, not operations. As far as I understand. Which report were you looking at?

What benefit would there be to uploading operations for the provincial government?

That news report was about uploading infrastructure, not operations. As far as I understand. Which report were you looking at?

What benefit would there be to uploading operations for the provincial government?

My mistake. It would be easy pickings for ford to find efficiency though if he took over operations. It may win him votes.

Back