News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 383     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

I use Transit. It covers TTC, Uber, BikeShare and works in cities all around the world. It's very accurate.

I've found Transit App to be increasingly unreliable recently. I find the next bus estimations to often be completely inaccurate. Not sure if it's a problem with the app, or the NextBus data provided by the TTC.

I use TTCWatch on my iPhone https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/ttc-watch-for-toronto/id505286932?mt=8

What I like is that the app has a very good Map screen, where most other apps prioritize "estimated wait" and require you to press extra buttons for maps, if available at all.

In Toronto, traffic etc. is so unpredictable that the estimated time isn't very useful. And sometimes TTC drivers just decide to sit around instead of drive. I find it much more useful to see where the vehicles are, and make my own time estimates--the map also makes it obvious if there's been an accident or something, if say 8 streetcars are in the same spot not moving.

I use the transit app for Bixi only. There are much leaner/faster apps for TTC. For Uber I just go to its own app.

Cross-posting from Six Points thread, in case it hasn't been mentioned here:

The tender says they're extending tracks west of Kipling Station:

"The work of this Contract consists of the supply of all labour, equipment and materials for the construction of Site services for approximately 1520 feet of storage track west of Kipling Station tail track. Switch machines, signals, traction power connections and turnout installation Work is to be done by TTC forces following the Contract. The goal is to create two (2) additional subway train storage spots at Kipling Station."

I don't believe they're extending that far westward, but the additional trackage does appear to be going in beyond the west end of the station where the current tail track exists.

https://www.merx.com/English/Supplier_menu.asp?WCE=Show&TAB=3&PORTAL=MERX&State=7&id=PR382492&HID=&src=nm&searchtype=&hcode=7lX/IMreWHYPh1KGaVRrpw==

Take the TTC to The Ex

August 16, 2017

Starting this Fri., Aug. 18, TTC service increases will make getting to and from the Canadian National Exhibition by transit quick and easy. And this Saturday, current and former armed service members will be able to ride free of charge.

Five TTC surface routes will have enhanced service until the end of the CNE, Mon., Sept. 4:
- 29 Dufferin - frequent bus service from Wilson and Dufferin stations to Dufferin Gate Loop
- 121 Fort York Esplanade - frequent service between the Distillery District and Princes' Gates Loop
- 193 Exhibition Rocket - frequent non-stop express bus service from Dundas West Station to Dufferin Gate Loop
- 511 Bathurst - frequent streetcar service from Bathurst Station to Exhibition Loop
- 509 Harbourfront - frequent streetcar service from Union Station to Exhibition Loop

This Sat., Aug. 19, the TTC is proud to offer free transit to Canadian veterans of war and peacekeeping missions, along with one companion, to commemorate the 96th Annual CNE Warriors' Day. Veterans and peacekeepers will be asked to show their service medals/ribbons to receive free TTC service.

509 Harbourfront - frequent streetcar service from Union Station to Exhibition Loop
I wonder if that means they will recreate the silliness of having all 510 cars turn back at Queen's Quya and Spadina and leaving people waiting at all of the regular stops or having to walk there because they can't get on a509 car because it's full of people heading to the Ex.

I wonder if that means they will recreate the silliness of having all 510 cars turn back at Queen's Quya and Spadina and leaving people waiting at all of the regular stops or having to walk there because they can't get on a509 car because it's full of people heading to the Ex.

I have mixed feelings about that. I totally agree with you that it results in a very poor experience to people not being able to get to Spadina since the 509 is jam packed. However, on the other hand, with extra flexities Queen's Quay, and Union Loop, will be quite busy; having to combine extra 509s with 510s will likely make the Union Loop in particular very inefficient. Also, a LOT of tourists somehow manage to be confused by the difference between the 509 and 510 at Union, it makes it easier if there's only one route departing from there.

The 510 Spadina page on ttc.ca and the service changes/route diversions pages don't say anything about it, so I don't think they're doing it.

BTW for anyone interested, I find one very useful trick during the CNE, if travelling out of Union, is to try to walk, e.g. through the PATH, down to Queen's Quay Station--tons of tourists exit the streetcar at that stop to board ferries and there are relatively few westbound passengers boarding, usually, and tourists don't tend to spread out all the way down all 5 doors of the platform (nor do people at Union filter to the back of a flexity that much). You skip the massive line at Union--if the 510 is running this is a great strategy, even for the 509 it's likely to work better than waiting there. Same goes for Harbourfront Centre--lots of people get off there and the back of the platform is somewhat less busy westbound.

Link below on Toronto's Dirtiest Subway Stations

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...-stations-are-on-the-bloor-danforth-line.html

I'll concur w/Main being on the list, probably for the bus terminal ceiling which is supposed to be a white painted ceiling. It hasn't been cleaned in years and I can't remember the last paint job, so let's go w/10 years plus. It looks very grimy.

Warden should be there for the trackside walls which haven't had a good power wash in ages.

That the TTC seems confused on why its stations look dirty is rather baffling. Its rather obvious to me.

Link below on Toronto's Dirtiest Subway Stations

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...-stations-are-on-the-bloor-danforth-line.html

I'll concur w/Main being on the list, probably for the bus terminal ceiling which is supposed to be a white painted ceiling. It hasn't been cleaned in years and I can't remember the last paint job, so let's go w/10 years plus. It looks very grimy.

Warden should be there for the trackside walls which haven't had a good power wash in ages.

That the TTC seems confused on why its stations look dirty is rather baffling. Its rather obvious to me.

Dundas Station is Number 10 in terms of cleanliness? You've got to be kidding me - it's the armpit of stations in the system.

AoD

After so many years in Toronto I'm still surprised that streetcars making left turns at intersections get no priority in this city. It's so crazy might never get used to it.

Dundas Station is Number 10 in terms of cleanliness? You've got to be kidding me - it's the armpit of stations in the system.

AoD

You read that wrong. Here's the tidbit you missed:

The audits are administered by a third-party firm called the Surge Group. They evaluate different categories, including litter, elevators, stairs, glass and more. Each category is scored out of five and then combined into a percentage.

The 10 dirtiest stations, from dirtiest to cleanest:

Woodbine, Dundas West, Chester, Scarborough TC, Donlands, Old Mill, Coxwell, Main, Dufferin, Pape

The 10 cleanest stations, from cleanest to dirtiest:

Rosedale, Davisville, King, Downsview, Wellesley, Museum, Queen, Ellesmere, North York Centre, Dundas
Dundas West is the second dirtiest out of 69 stations. It means that 49 stations are in the middle, between the 10 dirtiest and the 10 cleanest.

You read that wrong. Here's the tidbit you missed:

The audits are administered by a third-party firm called the Surge Group. They evaluate different categories, including litter, elevators, stairs, glass and more. Each category is scored out of five and then combined into a percentage.

The 10 dirtiest stations, from dirtiest to cleanest:

Woodbine, Dundas West, Chester, Scarborough TC, Donlands, Old Mill, Coxwell, Main, Dufferin, Pape

The 10 cleanest stations, from cleanest to dirtiest:

Rosedale, Davisville, King, Downsview, Wellesley, Museum, Queen, Ellesmere, North York Centre, Dundas
Dundas West is the second dirtiest out of 69 stations. It means that 49 stations are in the middle, between the 10 dirtiest and the 10 cleanest.

Er no - it reads of the top 10 cleanest stations, Dundas on Line 1 is at No. 10. I am not talking about Dundas West on Line 2.

AoD

Back