News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 378     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Cool graphic out of Transit Oriented: http://pdovak.com/toronto

It's all the GTA transit vehicles. They have them for other North American cities too.

Yeah, but he also didn't include 40' MiExpress, Viva, or Zum buses, Mississauga Transit buses in the old scheme, or Wheel-Trans, Transhelp, etc. Also left out HSR, which operates in Burlington. Can't put everything in.

Yeah, but he also didn't include 40' MiExpress, Viva, or Zum buses, Mississauga Transit buses in the old scheme, or Wheel-Trans, Transhelp, etc. Also left out HSR, which operates in Burlington. Can't put everything in.

Also left out YRT's ElDorado 30' buses, and Viva's articulated NovaBus. But he did include both the four-car TR sets, and four cars from the six-car sets, so there's that...

Here's an interesting project explained at this link. Wonder if someone or group could do the same here in Toronto.

To be honest, I doubt people would find anything terribly interesting since there aren't complex transfers like in NYC. The one thing that might surprise people is that a few stations (notably Bloor-Yonge and St. Clair) aren't aligned with the street grid above them. St. Clair is rotated about 20 degrees counter-clockwise, and Bloor-Yonge is about 15 degrees clockwise.

I guess some on this board must be under 2.5 or 3.5 years old.
In a city that is about half made up of people not born in Canada some have been here only about that long. I'm thinking of a starting an office pool on when a recently arrived person from somewhere it never snows gives up smoking.

Toronto has about 3 months of consistently below 0 temperatures. about 5 months with the "shoulder period" of -2 - +5 degree weather.
I think the record of straight days under 0, is closer to 30-45 - let alone the average. Not sure most Canadians consider +5 weather spring.

He had two Miway local XD40. Could have made one express. Also the lack of Miway Orion VII NG express or local.

The trouble with social media debate (and a lot of political debate, for that matter) is that there is very low tolerance for paradox. In life, many opposing viewpoints can be equally true and valid at the same time. There is no one right or wrong answer.

Which is why you will never see people like me riding a bicycle in a blizzard (and yes Toronto gets blizzards, and it sometimes even kills streetcars), but you will see me gleefully trudging around on foot in foul weather getting pictures of it all.

We should be planning transportation to maximise the number of choices and options, not naysaying one or the other because of weather. then people can take their pick.

Snow Biker 2.jpg

- Paul

Attachments

• Snow Biker 2.jpg
    Snow Biker 2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 319
We should be planning transportation to maximise the number of choices and options, not naysaying one or the other because of weather. then people can take their pick.

But you have to recognize that the number of people who ride bikes in blizzards, or in the winter in general, is extremely low. I would estimate winter ridership to be 10% at most of summer ridership, on days with severe snowfall probably <5%. That has to be taken into consideration. It doesn't mean we shouldn't build bike lanes, just we have to remember that.

People will still walk, take the bus/streetcar/subway, take taxis/uber, and drive in the winter in much greater percentages than they will bike. Many of those 90% of bike riders that don't ride in the winter switch to transit.

Which is why you will never see people like me riding a bicycle in a blizzard (and yes Toronto gets blizzards, and it sometimes even kills streetcars), but you will see me gleefully trudging around on foot in foul weather getting pictures of it all.

But you have to recognize that the number of people who ride bikes in blizzards, or in the winter in general, is extremely low. I would estimate winter ridership to be 10% at most of summer ridership, on days with severe snowfall probably <5%. That has to be taken into consideration. It doesn't mean we shouldn't build bike lanes, just we have to remember that.
I am avid rider, do serious long-distance too, and wouldn't ride most days in the winter. It's hell on a machine, let alone yourself. I've argued this with a number of die-hards, who insist that salt and grit doesn't take a toll on a good machine, but I've been building, riding and repairing bikes for generations, and have seen what it does. Plus it's incredibly dangerous when it's icy and slippery, let alone when the curb is buried and there's no shoulder.

Common sense has to kick in at some point, and when it's no fun, dangerous, and bad for the machine, it's time to walk or take transit. Sometimes the TTC is the better way.

Back