News   Jul 15, 2024
 115     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.7K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     1 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Ok, then more of a broader question. With the disability laws in place, could we still keep the ALRVs for certain lines - so long as 4/5 (or 9/10) of that line's vehicles are LFLRVs? Or is it mandated that every single vehicle must be fully accessible, I guess with the exception of special event cars like PCC? I really like the ride offered by C/ALRVs, and it'd be a great shame to dump them.
I'm not 100% what the full accessibility laws are but I do know that everything is supposed to be completely accessible by 2025 or there are stiff fines for missing that date.

Last edited:
That's if we don't eliminated ourselves with nuclear warfare, polluted atmosphere or some unbeatable disease .

TTC put out a tender for lowest qualifing bidder. They can't choose the second lowest bidder without getting into a legal fight.

They can and do reject the lowest bidder all the time. It's not just qualifying, a lot of tenders are split on a financial - lowest cost - and technical basis.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Hopefully they have inserted a penalty clause with teeth.

AoD

Well, ideally instead of just punishing municipalities for not meeting the deadline, they would have provided some, any funds to help with the expensive job of retrofitting the entire subway network with elevators.

I think the TTC is on track to meet the 2025 date though. The federal funding really helped because before that, most of the station retrofits were "below the line" capital expenses.

Exhibit-2.jpg

ex-3.gif

Montreal currently has it much worse, and the goal is 2038 for the system to be accessible.

Meanwhile, the entire Vancouver SkyTrain system is accessible.

Well, ideally instead of just punishing municipalities for not meeting the deadline, they would have provided some, any funds to help with the expensive job of retrofitting the entire subway network with elevators.

I think the TTC is on track to meet the 2025 date though. The federal funding really helped because before that, most of the station retrofits were "below the line" capital expenses.

Exhibit-2.jpg

Montreal currently has it much worse, and the goal is 2038 for the system to be accessible.

Actually I was referring to Bondfield getting the Glencairn bid, not Easier Access. Sorry about the confusion.

AoD

Last edited:
Shuttle bus line is awful today. At Eglinton is stretches from the bus stop (Mandarin buffet) pretty much to Eglinton Avenue.

I remember it a much better service in past years.

Why doesn't the TTC use artic buses for subway shuttles?

They've mentioned this in a few places. One is that the artics are badly needed on the routes where they usually operate, switching them to regular buses would result in extremely poor service around the city, and for many of those routes there are not necessarily useful alternate routes vs. certain subway closures where there are many alternates.

Additionally, many of the subway closures are in environments where the artics would be difficult to maneuver. This is compounded by the sheer number of shuttle buses needed--it can already be hard for regular buses to work their way in and out of their stops, in tight environments like downtown yonge it would be very difficult to handle a ton of artics at every stop.

Why doesn't the TTC use artic buses for subway shuttles?
The turns they have to make are probably to tight for them, also there may not be space for them in the particular station to allow them to be used/ They do sometimes use them for Bloor Danforth and SRT closures.

Back