News   Jul 15, 2024
 251     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 398     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.9K     1 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Interesting noting the original coloured glass will be restored as well.

Looking forward to this and the return of Arc En Ciel at Yorkdale.

Interesting noting the original coloured glass will be restored as well.

Looking forward to this and the return of Arc En Ciel at Yorkdale.

If only we can get those moulded chairs back at Glencairn as well. As to Arc en Ciel - what the station needs is a completely top to bottom revitalization as well. Reinstalling the piece in the degraded state of the space wouldn't be doing it justice.

AoD

Let's sit back and watch how many delays this project will run into. With Bondfield running this project i'm not holding my breath.

Let's sit back and watch how many delays this project will run into. With Bondfield running this project i'm not holding my breath.

Typical TTC just nickel and diming with the lowest possible bid.... Have they not learned that the lowest bid has the highest risk of extras, problems and cut corners? Theres a reason why the other bids were higher.
IMO they shouldve gone with at least the second lowest (which in this case is the middle). I wont be surprised if the finished work will cost just as much if not even more than the other bidders' quotes

Typical TTC just nickel and diming with the lowest possible bid.... Have they not learned that the lowest bid has the highest risk of extras, problems and cut corners? Theres a reason why the other bids were higher.
IMO they shouldve gone with at least the second lowest (which in this case is the middle). I wont be surprised if the finished work will cost just as much if not even more than the other bidders' quotes
TTC put out a tender for lowest qualifing bidder. They can't choose the second lowest bidder without getting into a legal fight.

Bondfield actually seem to have got Union Station back onto schedule so it MAY be OK.

well, back on schedule at what cost? I dont know how TTC selects the winning bidder but they cant just blindly go for the lowest one all the time, especially for large infrastructure projects.
One does not simply undercut the competition by millions without cutting something from the bottom line.

. As to Arc en Ciel - what the station needs is a completely top to bottom revitalization as well. Reinstalling the piece in the degraded state of the space wouldn't be doing it justice.
I think there was some discussion on the Yorkdale mall thread in the buildings section about how the original designer of it is working on a design that will use LEDs rather then the NEON from before. Plus there was also talk that Yorkdale Mall would be paying for part of the upgrades as it will benefit them as well. Yorkdale Station is one of the ones that needs a lot of work to add elevators to it to make it accessible plus the bridge to the mall needs to be overhauled at the same time.

I think there was some discussion on the Yorkdale mall thread in the buildings section about how the original designer of it is working on a design that will use LEDs rather then the NEON from before. Plus there was also talk that Yorkdale Mall would be paying for part of the upgrades as it will benefit them as well. Yorkdale Station is one of the ones that needs a lot of work to add elevators to it to make it accessible plus the bridge to the mall needs to be overhauled at the same time.

That's the understanding re: switch to LED (just like the reinstallation of Joy is really is an adapted piece created anew from the old artwork). And yes, Yorkdale has to get Easier Access, but it probably is one unique station design that can use some LTC to restore it to the original glory.

AoD

I'll keep an eye out for it nxt time I'm on the SRT.
I got some pictures and video of it today. Only one of the two cars have the LED boards but both have had sections of seat removed to allow space for wheelchairs and also for more standing room.
34953938483_8f99dbd6ee_z_d.jpg

The LED screen is mounted in the middle of SRT car #3027, SRT car #3026 doesn't have one. My guess would be because of the short length of the SRT trains having two in a row is a bit redundant even for the TTC.
35632086411_0d66f15203_z_d.jpg

Looking towards the driver's cab end of car #3026 you can see the space for wheelchairs and standing.
35764019185_e518d0565a_z_d.jpg

The other side is the same except in red. They also redid the garb bars to add a few more cross members and some bus style straps to hold on to.
34923526834_fe98c41766_z_d.jpg

Here's a look at the placement of the LED sign on the inside of car #3027.

I got some pictures and video of it today. Only one of the two cars have the LED boards but both have had sections of seat removed to allow space for wheelchairs and also for more standing room.

The LED screen is mounted in the middle of SRT car #3027, SRT car #3026 doesn't have one. My guess would be because of the short length of the SRT trains having two in a row is a bit redundant even for the TTC.

Looking towards the driver's cab end of car #3026 you can see the space for wheelchairs and standing.

The other side is the same except in red. They also redid the garb bars to add a few more cross members and some bus style straps to hold on to.

Here's a look at the placement of the LED sign on the inside of car #3027.

Thanks. These look really good. Are these the ones shipped out that have been completely rehab'd (e.g structural)? If so I didn't realize it would be so fast. Somewhat related, but I wonder if the TTC will ever do a similar interior refurb for the ALRVs.

Thanks. These look really good. Are these the ones shipped out that have been completely rehab'd (e.g structural)? If so I didn't realize it would be so fast. Somewhat related, but I wonder if the TTC will ever do a similar interior refurb for the ALRVs.
I'm not sure which of them has gotten shipped out for structural repairs but I think all of the interior work is being done by the TTC. I'm not sure if they will redesign the ALRVs too much as at this point if they do too much to them they would have to make them accessible and they determined that because of the height of them it would be to dangerous to do. Alos even though they did plan to refurbish a lot of them they seem to be disappearing faster then the CLRVs are now at this point.

I'm not sure which of them has gotten shipped out for structural repairs but I think all of the interior work is being done by the TTC. I'm not sure if they will redesign the ALRVs too much as at this point if they do too much to them they would have to make them accessible and they determined that because of the height of them it would be to dangerous to do. Alos even though they did plan to refurbish a lot of them they seem to be disappearing faster then the CLRVs are now at this point.

Ok, then more of a broader question. With the disability laws in place, could we still keep the ALRVs for certain lines - so long as 4/5 (or 9/10) of that line's vehicles are LFLRVs? Or is it mandated that every single vehicle must be fully accessible, I guess with the exception of special event cars like PCC? I really like the ride offered by C/ALRVs, and it'd be a great shame to dump them.

Back