News   Jul 15, 2024
 229     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 379     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.9K     1 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Several months ago we discussed the Chinese straddling bus. This from BBC today:

"Police in Beijing have arrested 32 people for illegal fundraising linked to a scrapped project to create a "straddling bus" to beat traffic jams.

The futuristic idea to lift commuters above congestion quickly attracted international attention when it was launched last year - but was finally scrapped last month.

There had been growing speculation that it was no more than an investment scam.

In a statement, police said they were working to recover investors' assets.

China has seen a series of scams where online platforms offer big returns on money invested into start-ups, an area mostly ignored by the country's state-run banks.

Among those arrested was Bai Zhiming, the 47-year-old CEO of the Transit Elevated Bus Company (TEB) who is also the founder of peer-to-peer financing company Huaying Kailai Asset Management.

The other 31 were Huaying Kailai employees.

Investors had reportedly been offered returns of 12% if they put money into the project, but allegations in the Chinese media had said it had been a way of luring them into buying financial products.

See: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-40492697

Several months ago we discussed the Chinese straddling bus. This from BBC today:

"Police in Beijing have arrested 32 people for illegal fundraising linked to a scrapped project to create a "straddling bus" to beat traffic jams.

The futuristic idea to lift commuters above congestion quickly attracted international attention when it was launched last year - but was finally scrapped last month.

There had been growing speculation that it was no more than an investment scam.

In a statement, police said they were working to recover investors' assets.

China has seen a series of scams where online platforms offer big returns on money invested into start-ups, an area mostly ignored by the country's state-run banks.

Among those arrested was Bai Zhiming, the 47-year-old CEO of the Transit Elevated Bus Company (TEB) who is also the founder of peer-to-peer financing company Huaying Kailai Asset Management.

The other 31 were Huaying Kailai employees.

Investors had reportedly been offered returns of 12% if they put money into the project, but allegations in the Chinese media had said it had been a way of luring them into buying financial products.

See: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-40492697

well as sad as the outcome is, at least they built something and had a working demo to show it was technically feasible. Maybe in the future someone can take on this idea when building those green startup cities

A pair of SRT cars (3026-3027) has received a few more upgrades than the others that have been refurbished. Four seats on one side at either end have been replaced with perch seats, creating more standing room and a space for mobility aids. The cars also have more interior rails and straps as well as side destination signs.

A pair of SRT cars (3026-3027) has received a few more upgrades than the others that have been refurbished. Four seats on one side at either end have been replaced with perch seats, creating more standing room and a space for mobility aids. The cars also have more interior rails and straps as well as side destination signs.
any pictures?

Is TTC planning on telling riders on the 501 that it will be on detour starting at 10 pm Friday until late Saturday or Sunday since Yonge to Bay will be closed off for the erection of the new bridge??

The street will be close to pedestrians as well with no access to/from the Bay or Eaton to Queen St.

There were no notices up when I left the area at 6 pm today. Did see a detour notice on Queen Quay E for July 2 & 3 closing of Queen

June 16
This this the future for TTC stations or will they be remove once the new fare gates are install?? This is at Osgoode Station and the only one I have seen so far. They are doing something at the Islington Station that has seen new steel columns and beams added just east of the current south collector booth.
35342077130_d1dbb4e693_k.jpg

Last edited:
I don't think there's any closure this weekend. The city hasn't put anything on their road restrictions website, which lists anything happening in the next seven days.

I don't think there's any closure this weekend. The city hasn't put anything on their road restrictions website, which lists anything happening in the next seven days.
Given the amount of equipment on site and the cost, the bridge is moving this weekend, let alone from highly place personnel. Been wrong in the past and could be wrong again for this weekend and par for the course for one hand not knowing what the other is doing.

Could have be the schedule for last weekend and not ready.

The glazing company has been spending a lot late night the past 2 weeks to get this bridge ready for moving and that not cheap.

June 16
This this the future for TTC stations or will they be remove once the new fare gates are install?? This is at Osgoode Station and the only one I have seen so far. They are doing something at the Islington Station that has seen new steel columns and beams added just east of the current south collector booth.
This isn't new. It's done on the Dundas southbound collector booth by the Dundas street exit for a year or so. It's just a covering and is very removable.

When PRESTO is fully implemented I thought all the collectors will be redeployed to wander around, answer questions etc and if/When this happens I assume that the booths can be removed, or relocated, so that additional gates could be installed. Some stations, King for example, really have too few gates/turnstiles so being able to get more would be good.

Actually, one of the collector booth at Sheppard West has received the same treatment too (in grey). Dundas is yellow.

Cities like NYC and Chicago had already been using a card system but they still have collector booths to act as information booths. I believe TTC wants informational assistance to be more visible with a desk (like Union) instead of behind a booth to give a friendlier feeling towards customers.

June 16

Most of the second booths around the system were redone like this about 2 or 3 years ago. It's simply a printed vinyl wrap that is done to match the tilework of the appropriate station.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Back