News   May 06, 2024
 175     0 
News   May 06, 2024
 449     0 
News   May 06, 2024
 1.2K     1 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Has the TTC studied keeping a large portion of the trains at stations each night?

For the most part they use most of the track all night for transporting maintenance equipment and staff around the system. You could do this with the handful of pocket tracks and tail tracks, but I think they already do store trains in most of those locations.

The new signalling system might enable storage on one track and transportation on the other with occasional cross-over points. Dealing with the no-show staff would be tricky; even staff with the best of intentions get into car accidents.

Last edited:
If I'm not mistaken, it sounds like there is confusion occurring between SSE, the Scarborough Subway Extension, and TYSSE, the Toronto York Spadina Subway Extension. It sounds like @Voltz is saying there will be a lot of extra expense to replace Line 2 signals+trains with ATC/TRs because the SSE will require them--I think @smallspy got that confused with TYSSE/YUS on which, of course, signal replacement was necessary for both age and increasing capacity, and the TRs already run there.

You're absolutely right, I did mis-read the original comment. My apologies.

That said, by the time the SSE does open the signal system on the B-D will be close to be needing to be replaced. The cost will still be there regardless of whether or not the SSE is built, but simply advanced up a couple of years.

Has the TTC studied keeping a large portion of the trains at stations each night?

Would mean:
- a consistent closing time for the subway (vs the rolling closing based on catching the last train to the end of the line)
- operators would not be in the yard every morning night (difficult...the union would fight this)
- slightly higher costs for cleaning crews (they would be travelling to each station to clean the cars)
- long term lower capex for smaller yards and less track
- more time for repair crews in the tunnels

First off, the TTC does already do this on a limited basis, during inclement weather.

But doing so on a permanent basis would increase costs greatly. The cleaning crews would not be able to do nearly as much work as they would spend a lot more time travelling. Operating crews would still need to be bused to and from the division regardless of where they are picking up their trains. And it would be much harder to coordinate repair work in the tunnels, as they would have to work around the parked trains.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

There was a good article in the Ottawa Citizen yesterday about the decision to eliminate the transit tax credit: http://ottawacitizen.com/opinion/co...cutting-the-transit-tax-credit-is-a-good-idea (Full disclosure: One of the two authors is a Liberal MP)

Prof. Rivers revealed that the transit tax credit increased transit ridership by between 0.25 per cent and one per cent. Many Canadians already commuting on transit took advantage of the tax break. These people are what economists call “free riders,” rewarded with subsidies for actions they were already taking.

Prof. Rivers calculated the cost of greenhouse gas emission reductions as exceeding $1,000 per tonne. Other climate change policies have costs ranging from negative (meaning it’s actually profitable to make changes) to $200/tonne. B.C.’s carbon tax is $30 per tonne. The cost of closing Ontario’s coal-fired power plants was roughly $100 per tonne.

The latest data show that roughly 1.8 million Canadians claim the credit, but only about 1.3 million people make enough money for the credit to actually reduce their taxes. That’s half a million transit riding Canadians left out in the cold by this policy. Hundreds of thousands more Canadians can’t even try to claim the credit because they can’t afford to shell out for monthly passes, buying single tickets instead.

So this tax credit appearenlty only increased ridership nationwide by 0.25%. I'd rather those funds go to increasing the subsidy for trainsit agencies. From past experiences, I believe it would be far more effective at boosting ridership than a tax credit.

Grimey and Tory holding a transit related photo op at Park Lawn and LSBW today at 11am

Anyone know more? No attendance from Il Duce so not GO related. Maybe some curbs for the streetcar tracks?

There is a new cycling lane being added to Lakeshore, with curb separation, it fills in a gap on the waterfront trail. It is being built at the same time as the streetcar track renewal which is about to begin, they are doing all the way from Humber Loop to Dwight Ave (roughly Royal York Rd). Suspect that is the 'event'.

Watch these two claim that the streetcar is being upgraded to 'LRT' along the Lakeshore - I bet a box of donuts that quote appears in the media tonight.

- Paul

There is a new cycling lane being added to Lakeshore, with curb separation, it fills in a gap on the waterfront trail. It is being built at the same time as the streetcar track renewal which is about to begin, they are doing all the way from Humber Loop to Dwight Ave (roughly Royal York Rd). Suspect that is the 'event'.

Watch these two claim that the streetcar is being upgraded to 'LRT' along the Lakeshore - I bet a box of donuts that quote appears in the media tonight.

- Paul
You're kidding? Bike lanes are now transit improvements? If there's one thing the area has plenty of is good bike trails. We need actual transit.

You're kidding? Bike lanes are now transit improvements? If there's one thing the area has plenty of is good bike trails. We need actual transit.

Don't worry. Turns out the only announcement today is that John Tory is asking for money (again) to fund waterfront transit. No mention of specific projects, modes, funding amounts. Well done!

Bike lanes are transportation infrastructure too. I can bike faster than the TTC usually.
The meeting was meant to be about 'public transportation' of which bikes and bike lanes are not. Unless roads and highways are now public transit.

Moot point as the meeting was Tory grovelling for more money to fund Scarborough transit while using our transit woes as a backdrop. Shit move.

There was a good article in the Ottawa Citizen yesterday about the decision to eliminate the transit tax credit: http://ottawacitizen.com/opinion/co...cutting-the-transit-tax-credit-is-a-good-idea (Full disclosure: One of the two authors is a Liberal MP)
The latest data show that roughly 1.8 million Canadians claim the credit, but only about 1.3 million people make enough money for the credit to actually reduce their taxes. That’s half a million transit riding Canadians left out in the cold by this policy. Hundreds of thousands more Canadians can’t even try to claim the credit because they can’t afford to shell out for monthly passes, buying single tickets instead.
There was another way to get around the first criticism - make the credit refundable. The affordability issue is a harder one to clear, but as long as the user has a smartcard AND the transit operator provides the necessary tax reclaim, then the user should be able to demonstrate enough rides to get the credit even as singles.

The meeting was meant to be about 'public transportation' of which bikes and bike lanes are not. Unless roads and highways are now public transit.

Moot point as the meeting was Tory grovelling for more money to fund Scarborough transit while using our transit woes as a backdrop. Shit move.

And then later I open my twitter and see this. I mean FFS this is not helping.

Screen Shot 2017-04-12 at 1.48.25 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-04-12 at 1.48.25 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-04-12 at 1.48.25 AM.png
    33.1 KB · Views: 159

Back