News   May 17, 2024
 2.3K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 1.4K     2 
News   May 17, 2024
 10K     10 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Probably ATC and new trains. I know the T1s have an expiry date of the mid 2020's, so deliveries have to probably start in 5 or 6 years. Means the process of selecting their replacement begins now.

Probably ATC and new trains. I know the T1s have an expiry date of the mid 2020's, so deliveries have to probably start in 5 or 6 years. Means the process of selecting their replacement begins now.

And, of course, the new trains will actually go to Line 1 and the TRs will go to Line 2 (except the 4-car sets on Sheppard). New trains are likely to be more reliable and have a slight capacity increase, which prioritizes them for Line 1. Plus, with how unlikely it looks for the DRL to come any time soon, it might be time to slightly lengthen the cars or go up to 7 cars to provide that much more capacity.

No it's the outer platform wall on the northbound university platform. Up until now it's been blank concrete. I believe they are preparing for tile installation.

I imagine this is the work that was done over the weekend during the subway closure.
maybe but the main work was on the switch tracks around union station. The TTC tweeted some picture of it on their
account

The TR2s need to have subway maps that are actually electronic screens, not those Lite-Brites.

Oh, and Wi-Fi too.
I don't think either of those will be in the cards as installing on vehicle wifi isn't as easy as it is to in the stations plus the TTC will likely want to go as cheap as they can with the maps.

Which will in part be more costs triggered by the SSE

How do you figure? Half of the signal system needed to be replaced on the YUS anyways, might as well go whole-hog and upgrade to ATC/ATO while you're at it.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

How do you figure? Half of the signal system needed to be replaced on the YUS anyways, might as well go whole-hog and upgrade to ATC/ATO while you're at it.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

It's been said it would not be worthwhile to upgrade the T1's with ATC, so that fleet would have to be replaced sooner than it would otherwise need to be. And if the plan involves moving the TR's to Line 2 then they might need a new yard since the existing one can't handle fixed length trains.

Which will in part be more costs triggered by the SSE

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

It's been said it would not be worthwhile to upgrade the T1's with ATC, so that fleet would have to be replaced sooner than it would otherwise need to be. And if the plan involves moving the TR's to Line 2 then they might need a new yard since the existing one can't handle fixed length trains.

If I'm not mistaken, it sounds like there is confusion occurring between SSE, the Scarborough Subway Extension, and TYSSE, the Toronto York Spadina Subway Extension. It sounds like @Voltz is saying there will be a lot of extra expense to replace Line 2 signals+trains with ATC/TRs because the SSE will require them--I think @smallspy got that confused with TYSSE/YUS on which, of course, signal replacement was necessary for both age and increasing capacity, and the TRs already run there.

Continuing drama over Healthy Fit:

More than 100 TTC workers resigned, were fired over alleged benefits fraud

The Toronto Transit Commission says more than 100 of its employees have been dismissed or have resigned over benefits claims irregularities.

Toronto police laid criminal charges in July 2015 against the owner of Healthy Fit, a health care products and service provider that TTC employees frequented.

It is alleged that receipts were provided to employees by Healthy Fit for claim reimbursement where no product or service was obtained, or where receipt amounts were inflated.

It is also alleged that Healthy Fit and the employee making the claim would then share the money paid out by the TTC’s insurer at the time, Manulife Financial.

Investigators are continuing to interview employees who filed benefits claims involving Healthy Fit and the TTC says they will be dismissed if the evidence shows the benefits plan was defrauded.

To date, the TTC says 82 employees have been fired and more than 20 have resigned or retired to avoid firing, and it expects those numbers to grow.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...-over-alleged-benefits-fraud/article34591903/

If I'm not mistaken, it sounds like there is confusion occurring between SSE, the Scarborough Subway Extension, and TYSSE, the Toronto York Spadina Subway Extension. It sounds like @Voltz is saying there will be a lot of extra expense to replace Line 2 signals+trains with ATC/TRs because the SSE will require them--I think @smallspy got that confused with TYSSE/YUS on which, of course, signal replacement was necessary for both age and increasing capacity, and the TRs already run there.

Seems that did happen.

Has the TTC studied keeping a large portion of the trains at stations each night?

Would mean:
- a consistent closing time for the subway (vs the rolling closing based on catching the last train to the end of the line)
- operators would not be in the yard every morning night (difficult...the union would fight this)
- slightly higher costs for cleaning crews (they would be travelling to each station to clean the cars)
- long term lower capex for smaller yards and less track
- more time for repair crews in the tunnels

Good. I hope those that resigned/retired are also denied post-retirement medical benefits. Insurance fraud is theft and it astounds me that people are so willing to steal if they think they can get away with it. I hope the TTC also got their money back.

I hope they also have looked into the LTD fraud. The rates of LTD are very high at the TTC and its so easy to catch people nowadays who are able bodied. 90% of the people that steal are idiots. A lot of people are now getting caught via their social media posts (or their friends social media posts).

Back