News   Jul 15, 2024
 637     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 780     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 612     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

And then later I open my twitter and see this. I mean FFS this is not helping.

This seems coordinated.
  1. GO gets money for RER. Province says it free's up cash for other priorities. TTC hasn't received federal cash yet but details of spending will already have been discussed at length and in detail.
  2. Province restates it wants Richmond Hill subway extension
  3. Tory does the whole DRL First dance.
  4. Tory runs around advertising specific projects the city has been working on but requires funding for, including the DRL.
  5. Province has a budget coming and we know Wynne won the last election almost entirely due to the transit funding plan.
Tory is starting the provincial election campaign.

Last edited:
  1. GO gets money for RER. Province says it free's up cash for other priorities. TTC hasn't received federal cash yet but details of spending will already have been discussed at length and in detail.

I'm actually surprised that it took this long. The moment Justin announced his contribution, I expected the Ontario Cabinet to start scrapping over where the freed-up money goes.....let alone caucus, let alone municipalities.

I'm impressed that the money is still earmarked for transit. (I hope that remains true)

- Paul

This seems coordinated.
  2. Province restates it wants Richmond Hill subway extension
  3. Tory does the whole DRL First dance.
  4. Tory runs around advertising specific projects the city has been working on but requires funding for, including the DRL.
  5. Province has a budget coming and we know Wynne won the last election almost entirely due to the transit funding plan.
Tory is starting the provincial election campaign.

I agree with you 100%, however I do want to point out the TTC has gotten cash from the feds, specifically last spring. This coordinated approach seems like a decent plan in my mind.

60% of subway delays are caused by passengers, CBC Toronto data analysis shows

chart-1-good.jpg

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ttc-subway-delays-1.4068358

Riders have been great over the years saying it was X system causing all their delays when it in fact the opposite. Having numbers out there showing riders are the main cause for their delays, they will understand they need to do better to help improve service.

It would be interesting to have numbers showing how much riders hold up service by not having their fare ready to board a vehicles, moving to the back of X or blocking access points.

Since I stated to look at transit closely, riders being a problem has stood out from day one.

60% of subway delays are caused by passengers, CBC Toronto data analysis shows

chart-1-good.jpg

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ttc-subway-delays-1.4068358
Just looking at the headings, I would say that
#2 (Fire/Smoke) and #4 (Door Stuck) are the only TTC related delays - and even there it appears some passenger related causes are included in the numbers.
#1 (Ill passenger) and #3 (Disorderly) sound mostly like typical passengers fault.
The bottom 4 sound like passengers who have crossed the legal line.

I'd say 60% sound like a low estimate of delays caused by passengers.

With those stats, platform screen doors might be considered, even at half-height, funding pending.
Would this not reduce the numbers by 25 (<2%).
Not sure if any person at track level enter at platform, or do they enter at ends of platforms that act as emergency exits from track and would not be blocked anyway. I am surprised by this 92 number.

Screen doors would do very little to increase service. The screen doors would stop riders on track and some fire/smoke which is still cause by riders. Riders having not put stuff into the containers on the platform get blown onto the track and will cause fire/smoke.

Screen doors act as a shield to stop people falling/push onto the track at over loaded platforms, as well stopping them from taking their lives.

Fire/smoke will still be cause by other TTC issues.

Door issues could be 50-50 caused by riders forcing the door open or holding them to let someone on because they are too lazy to wait for that next train.

Back