News   May 06, 2024
 415     1 
News   May 06, 2024
 1K     0 
News   May 06, 2024
 651     1 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

I always found it funny that the TTC included the 69 Warden South as a frequent service. While on paper its branches combined provide a 10 minute service each branch is basically a different service. One branch operates clockwise and the other one counter-clockwise.
Majority of the riders on the 69 head to the south end near Kingston Rd. Technically they can take either branch and would take about 10 minutes. If one is headed to 3/4 of the route, it would take 15 minutes either if they board the branch leaving the station or wait 10 minutes and ride the other branch for 5 minutes. Mathematically the maximum trip time is 15 minutes for anyone with 8-12 min being average when one branch shows up.

Yes, I agree it's not true a 10 minute service. It's amazing that the TTC can provide 10 minutes at midnight to the burbs. The 905 and many other North American cities could only dream of such good service.

No A/C on any mode of public transport.

I can't speak for the buses and trams but I know there are quite a few tube lines with a/c now. Boris also announced last year that engineers have finally figured out a way to bring it to the deeper lines by the early 2020s as well.

I can't speak for the buses and trams but I know there are quite a few tube lines with a/c now. Boris also announced last year that engineers have finally figured out a way to bring it to the deeper lines by the early 2020s as well.
You mean they realize they can buy a/c trains?

They also need to build better ventilation shafts with bigger fans too or the tunnels would suffer from heat exhaust like every station in the downtown U are boiling hot in the summer thanks to all the a/c TRs.

You mean they realize they can buy a/c trains?.

The issue is the deepest lines are also the narrowest in the system - 3.7m wide. Because they're so narrow, it's really difficult to dissipate the heat produced by a/c units.

https://www.railnews.co.uk/news/2013/10/04-first-airconditioned-tube-train-goes.html

I also think that fitting a/c units into those tube trains is difficult because they're smaller due to the narrow tunnels. Check out the size of these ones for example. Very cramped! Not uncommon for people to be hunched over that aren't stood in the middle.

2683925458_6597026433_z.jpg

IMG_0318.jpg

images via google

Attachments

• 2683925458_6597026433_z.jpg
    2683925458_6597026433_z.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 403
  • IMG_0318.jpg
    IMG_0318.jpg
    261.2 KB · Views: 401
Last edited:
The issue is the deepest lines are also the narrowest in the system - 3.7m wide. Because they're so narrow, it's really difficult to dissipate the heat produced by a/c units.

https://www.railnews.co.uk/news/2013/10/04-first-airconditioned-tube-train-goes.html

I also think that fitting a/c units into those tube trains is difficult because they're smaller due to the narrow tunnels. Check out the size of these ones for example. Very cramped! Not uncommon for people to be hunched over that aren't stood in the middle.

View attachment 102550

View attachment 102551

images via google
The most they could do was build trains with a ventilation system similar to the ones in Montreal for the Victoria Line with the 2009 stock trains.
EDIT: trains are made by Bombardier as well.

NYC subway is pretty frequent for it's network. Many of their subway services (not correct to be called lines) may seen infrequent but multiple subway services operate on one line in the higher demand part of the route. Split services avoids terminal bunching that we have on the TTC. TTC and many other metro systems only operates one service on one line only.

MTA never refers 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,A,B,etc as lines.
See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_New_York_City_Subway_services
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_New_York_City_Subway_lines

Technically we have more than 4 lines on the TTC by MTA's definition.
1. Bloor Line
2. Danforth Line
3. Yonge Line
4. University Line
5. Spadina Line
6. Scarborough RT line
7. Sheppard Line

NYC has 25 subway services and 36 lines
TTC has 4 subway services and 7 lines

When the BD line opened in 1966, multiple services operate on one line.
In the vernacular, services are often referred to as "train" as in the song "Take the "A" Train"

http://web.mta.info/nyct/subway/howto_sub.htm

While Uber will now be charged HST, they are dropping the federal public transit tax credit. See link.

Canadians who have claimed their public transit passes for a tax break will have to start looking elsewhere for refunds starting on June 30, 2017.

After that date, any transit pass purchased won’t be eligible to submit to the Canada Revenue Agency next spring.

“We found that it was not doing what it was intended to do,” explained Finance Minister Bill Morneau.

Specifically, the credit was supposed to encourage the use of public transit and reduce greenhouse gas emissions.

Instead of the individual “boutique” credit, the Liberals say they are investing on a broad scale – to the tune of $20 billion over 11 years – to improve transit systems and encourage usage across Canada

Ride-sharing’s free ride when it comes to HST/GST rules is officially over. The definition of a taxi business is being amended under the Excise Tax Act so it will include ride-sharing services, including UBER and Lyft, as of July 1, 2017.

What that means is the average consumer is now going to see an HST and GST charge on their receipts after using a ride-sharing service, just like they would on a regular taxi ride.

I created this map recently showing the TTC's frequent service network, which they define as ten minutes or better between 6 am to 1:30 am Monday to Saturday, and 8 am to 1:30 am on Sundays. It's amazing how extensive it is, especially knowing that all of this runs 7 days a week until 1:30 am. Imagine what this could become if the TTC had more funding.

View attachment 102491

I have more TTC maps at this link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1QojQiXHRvqouOrjN1p3jGkK-jsc&usp=sharing

They could turn those lines into Streetcar lines a la Spadina or St Clair.

The city needs to convert the frequent buses to higher order transit.

The problem is, where do you start when there is so much needed?

They could turn those lines into Streetcar lines a la Spadina or St Clair.

The city needs to convert the frequent buses to higher order transit.

The problem is, where do you start when there is so much needed?
The TTC had a Transit City Bus Plan with initial plans of simple improvements such as queue jump lanes which I often find to be the biggest delays on a bus route. Buses forced behind cars to wait another signal because they can't enter the right turn lane or reach the bus stop. Signal priority is also another thing but I don't know if this would be useful as most bus route schedules are padded. Just to point out the TTC states that its going to build i think it was 4 bus lanes this year. This is a start. They should also allow buses on frequent routes to run as fast as possible to the end point instead of dawdling and wasting time. It is annoying to know that the bus is forced to move like a turtle due to the ridiculous schedules.

Don't worry though, another fare hike is in effect. I'm sure service and ridership will be great after that!

Honestly, a 15% increase for 50% of TTCs customers will have major impact, maybe not 90s level decreases, but pretty big nonetheless. I know I'll stop buying metropasses for the first time in 8 years, and ride my bike a lot more. Good news is it will add to the years before Yonge is overcapacity, yay team!

Out of curiosity, can anyone explain why politicians in this city are so ecstatic that the federal budget includes $20 billion over 10 years for public transit for the entire country? Is it just me or does that seem like peanuts and it's the equivalent of nothing for the TTC, since they would get roughly $400-$500 million.

Out of curiosity, can anyone explain why politicians in this city are so ecstatic that the federal budget includes $20 billion over 10 years for public transit for the entire country? Is it just me or does that seem like peanuts and it's the equivalent of nothing for the TTC, since they would get roughly $400-$500 million.

Except the conservatives (small "c") would rather have zero for public transit.

Except the conservatives (small "c") would rather have zero for public transit.

Feds kicked in for 1/3rd of Spadina and had money ready for both Sheppard LRT and SSE. The conservatives were relatively good at setting timelines on how their generic funds could be used then letting the provinces (since cities don't exist) decide how it gets used.

And frankly, $1B into roadways (like Gardiner) would free up $1B that the city could invest elsewhere.

But yeah, TTC can consume $2B over 10 years just doing maintenance on the existing system.

Last edited:

Back