News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 393     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

There are lots of stops that didn't have paper schedules before. I would rather a basic statement of headway than a chronically out of date paper. As for the digital displays, I complained to ttchelps about those a couple of Sundays as they were missing runs and the answer I got amounted to "it's a third party thing so too bad"

There are lots of stops that didn't have paper schedules before. I would rather a basic statement of headway than a chronically out of date paper. As for the digital displays, I complained to ttchelps about those a couple of Sundays as they were missing runs and the answer I got amounted to "it's a third party thing so too bad"
Odd TTC response, the digital displays surely come from the TTCs own GPS on the vehicles and the TTC owns the displays themselves so I am not quite sure where a 3rd party comes in. Maybe they meant the CUSTOMER was the 3rd party and we all know that the TTC's views on those annoying people.

I suspected that TTChelps is automated.

Oh, and there's no shortage of third-party transit apps out there. The TTC needs to develop an effective first-party app, complete with users being able to see where the nearest vehicle is (which many third-party apps already can do, complete with vehicle and run numbers).

Odd TTC response, the digital displays surely come from the TTCs own GPS on the vehicles and the TTC owns the displays themselves so I am not quite sure where a 3rd party comes in. Maybe they meant the CUSTOMER was the 3rd party and we all know that the TTC's views on those annoying people.
It's true that TTC owns the display and GPS on the buses but the data from the screen is pulled directly from nextbus. All GPS info has to go through a third party before coming back. If nextbus feed doesn't get through, the screens would be blank. This could be nextbus' problem for not updating the schedules in time, bad internet connection or slow TTC network.

I suspected that TTChelps is automated.

Oh, and there's no shortage of third-party transit apps out there. The TTC needs to develop an effective first-party app, complete with users being able to see where the nearest vehicle is (which many third-party apps already can do, complete with vehicle and run numbers).
Again, all apps uses nextbus data which comes from one source. Unless the TTC takes the GPS location and provides it's own prediction, it wouldn't make a difference. TTC is paying nextbus to provide prediction so why would they do it by themselves? There is no point of taking nextbus data and putting it in their own app when other develop would do a better job. Also why does the majority of the people even care if the next bus is 7462 on the 47th run of route 185? Do 99.999% people even care if it's a S50 Orion VII showing up on that specific run?

Something I am noticing about the history of the TTC and it's buses, Streetcars and Subways.

Yonge and Bloor had streetcars. Now they do not, and they have subways.

Currently, there is plans to put the DRL under Queen. Queen currently has a busy streetcar line.

Can we expect that many streetcar lines could be switched to subways?

You have to accommodate those who don't have smart phones, at least for the next several years..
No you don't. These are the folks with high switching costs and little option than to take the TTC. They are either too poor, trapped by circumstances (hours or location of work, school, etc.) or otherwise unable to switch to a more convenient transit mode. You do not need to do anything to keep their business.

That may sound crass, but that's the TTC model - if they gave a sh#t about their captive customers (those trapped by huge switching costs) they would make sure the aircon worked on the subways, at minimum.

It's the other potential TTC market that Uber-like GPS tracking of vehicles appeals to - me, and those who have a car and can afford other options to get around, but would consider the TTC if it was convenient and reliable.

These are the folks with high switching costs and little option than to take the TTC.

Found the Rogers executive

if they gave a sh#t about their captive customers (those trapped by huge switching costs) they would make sure the aircon worked on the subways, at minimum.

You act as if the TTC has a choice. Their budget is at the whim of City Council, and by extension, the people of Toronto. The only ones the people of Toronto have to blame for their shitty transit experience is themselves. If they want a better transit experience, then they need to pay up quit whining about a $15 property tax increase.

You act as if the TTC has a choice. Their budget is at the whim of City Council, and by extension, the people of Toronto. The only ones the people of Toronto have to blame for their shitty transit experience is themselves. If they want a better transit experience, then they need to pay up quit whining about a $15 property tax increase.

Ha...and if we pay that $15 increase, the complaint from City Council would be that it is not enough. You better watch who you blame!

Reactions: DSC
Something I am noticing about the history of the TTC and it's buses, Streetcars and Subways.

Yonge and Bloor had streetcars. Now they do not, and they have subways.

Currently, there is plans to put the DRL under Queen. Queen currently has a busy streetcar line.

Can we expect that many streetcar lines could be switched to subways?

Think about it. Subways move the most people, then streetcars and then buses. As the population increases it is likely that a route that was once able to be served by a bus may 'need' a streetcar and that a route served by a streetcar may 'need' a subway. Of course the subway may not exactly follow a bus or streetcar route but IF YOU LIVE LONG ENOUGH you may see more streetcars (replacing buses) and even see more subways replacing streetcars.

The current DRL route will not be replacing the streetcars, since they will only go under small sections of the current 501 QUEEN streetcar.

downtown-relief-line.jpg

It may replace the 72A PAPE bus though. The 72B PAPE might be renamed and serve only between Queen-Pape and Union Stations, unless the Queens Quay East streetcar/LRT actually happens.
072map.gif

The 505 DUNDAS streetcar may get its eastern terminal rerouted from the BROADVIEW station to the GERRARD station, via Dundas Street East and either Carlaw Avenue or Pape Avenue.
505nmap.gif

Last edited:

Back