News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 397     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Why doesn't the TTC just maintain cash payments, like various other GTA agencies?

Why should they? No legacy infrastructure, and the agency want to move away from staff overseeing payments anyways. It's 2016 - they should just get with it. Besides, machines can handle the job just fine - with the added bonus of being able to provide multi-lingual interface (which is de rigeur elsewhere).

And frankly, machine (in working order) vs. people? Choose machine every time.

AoD

Last edited:
Presentation from the Dec 20 TTC Meeting:

http://ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Commission_reports_and_information/Commission_meetings/2016/December_20/Reports/PRESTO Update TTC Board update_December 20.pdf

upload_2016-12-21_12-2-52.png

Seems like cash isn't going away.

AoD

Attachments

• upload_2016-12-21_12-2-52.png
    upload_2016-12-21_12-2-52.png
    123.4 KB · Views: 299
Indeed re: Spadina, but I am also thinking about other routes that can benefit from a similar (if slimmed down) arrangement.

AoD
That's exactly what I'm saying is planned.
Of course, I can't find a link, but it was discussed a couple years ago, as part of the planning for Flexitys taking over on other lines.
Off-board Presto machines will be installed at the busiest streetcar stops across the system.

As usual, on the "Buying a PRESTO card" slide they do not mention that one can also buy PRESTO cards (and have them set for senior or youth fares) at GO and at all other transit agencies that use PRESTO. I realise that this was a presentation for TTC Board but the TTC seems to find it hard to get their heads around the fact that PRESTO is NOT a TTC product and that many people whoa re primarily (or even only) TTC customers will find it easier to get/load/update cards elsewhere.

As usual, on the "Buying a PRESTO card" slide they do not mention that one can also buy PRESTO cards (and have them set for senior or youth fares) at GO and at all other transit agencies that use PRESTO.

We've been over this. TTC cannot send 200,000 people to use GO staff that TTC isn't paying for. If they recommended this officially GO would be well within their right to sue TTC for part of their station operating costs (or take it off the top from gas tax contributions that flow through Metrolinx).

Perhaps it should work that way but neither agency is going to volunteer a the few million to make it happen; and yes, it would be a few million as many GO stations already get lines at agent booths.

I expect TTC plans to have station agents do this kind of work when the fare-booths are eliminated.

Last edited:
That's exactly what I'm saying is planned.
Of course, I can't find a link, but it was discussed a couple years ago, as part of the planning for Flexitys taking over on other lines.
Off-board Presto machines will be installed at the busiest streetcar stops across the system.

I also remember there being a plan to install fare vending machines at more of the busier streetcar stops, like the ones currently on Spadina, and that is was probably planned to be done by now. If this was delayed with the delays of LRV deliveries, or due to usual TTC foot dragging I don't know.

And having presto readers on these vending machines would not be a bad idea.

Last edited:
TTC cannot send 200,000 people to use GO staff that TTC isn't paying for. If they recommended this officially GO would be well within their right to sue TTC for part of their station operating costs

No, they wouldn't be. That's ridiculous.

Just saw today that a Gateway has opened in the TTC portion of Union, and it does sell Presto cards:

IMG_0180.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0180.JPG
    IMG_0180.JPG
    326.7 KB · Views: 354
No, they wouldn't be. That's ridiculous.

Okay, so you think GO would just say "oh jeeze, guess we better hire extra staff to deal with all these TTC only customers" or "hope our own customers don't complain about the unusually long lines"?

Nope. They'll clawback that added operating expense either directly from the city as a Presto implementation surcharge or through other means; particularly when Brown asks GO to cut their operating deficit by 20%.

Back