News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 398     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

But they wanted to talk about fare integration...

Not really. The politicians who made a promise want them to talk about fare integration (but ignore the money aspect). The people handling the budgets want absolutely nothing to do with it and say as much every time it comes up.

Actually, I won't be surprised if we see a trade of tolls on Gardiner in exchange for GO/TTC/905 fare integration where Toronto eats the subsidy (perhaps with a bit of fare-by-distance thrown in somewhere below GO rates). That would politically work out well for Brown.

Last edited:
Okay, so you think GO would just say "oh jeeze, guess we better hire extra staff to deal with all these TTC only customers" or "hope our own customers don't complain about the unusually long lines"?

Nope. They'll clawback that added operating expense either directly from the city as a Presto implementation surcharge or through other means; particularly when Brown asks GO to cut their operating deficit by 20%.

Mississauga does that and seems to have no issues doing so:

From the MiWay website:

A new card costs $6 plus a minimum load of $10 and can be purchased and loaded:
  • Via the PRESTO website
  • At any GO Train Station in Mississauga
  • At the MiWay Tickets & Passes Booth at Islington Subway Station or the City Centre Transit Terminal
  • At Mississauga Community Centres
  • The Square One GO Bus Terminal (240 Centre View Drive)
  • TTC's new self-serve reload machine at Islington Subway Station

Unless you live close to the community centre or have a car, not easy to get to one without using transit or doing long walks.

The City Centre Terminal has been a bitch from day one with long line up. Its only been a year or 2 that there 3 counter to get fares from, compare to the past where it was one or 2 on duty.

Again, unless you go by a GO Station that is open off peak 7 days a week, very hard to get a card, let load it. Mississauga Islington booth is only open at peak time, 5 days a week.

There was a plan to setup loaders and get card from at various malls and other location, but never got off the ground due to Metrolinx excess fee charges.

Mississauga does that and seems to have no issues doing so:

Right, Mississauga isn't paying the bill so their choice is very simple. GO pays it on the justification that parking is just as (if not more) expensive for them.

Getting GO to give Mississauga $5M/year to avoid building and maintaining $50M parking garages is easy. Getting GO to give TTC $200M/year with no cost savings (lets be honest, 95% of those discounted transfers will be at Union) isn't so easy.

Just so I'm clear, Metrolinx currently pays the full fare to all 905 transit agencies for GO connections and lets you pay a fraction of that (I'm not sure how Barrie works; they visually accept Presto but don't have a Presto machine to count taps). Metrolinx has not made the same offer to the TTC and when asked why they state cost is the primary reason.

Last edited:
At least provide printed schedules for low frequency routes.
I certainly agree that having printed schedules on the 10-minute routes was stupid and wasteful but agree that having them on low frequency routes would be good IF THE TTC ACTUALLY RAN TO THE SCHEDULE! What would still (and always) be useful would be some ROUTE MAPS along the route. Torontonians may know that the 504 runs from Dundas West to Broadview but tourists certainly don't and many do not yet know that the 514 runs along most of the same route.

You got to give it to the TTC - utterly failing to modernize where it matters and counting on riders having universal adoption of technology and not providing alternatives otherwise.

AoD

You got to give it to the TTC - utterly failing to modernize where it matters and counting on riders having universal adoption of technology and not providing alternatives otherwise.

AoD
Alternatively you could be a transit geek and memorize every route and approximate frequency at most times of the day.

After a nudge to @BradTTC, the signs at Coxwell promising the bus loop rebuild complete in October or December 2016 have been replaced with new ones calling for April 2017. Question is which is the critical item - reconstructing the loop or the front entrance (since the temp entrance uses the 22 platform)

In my opinion, this is premature.

The savings are relatively small; the rollout of the digital signs is more than a decade from completion, and the ownership rate of smartphones is still under 80%.

Printed schedules should stay until 100% of shelters have digital signs; and/or the smartphone penetration rate exceeds 97%
I've never believed the printed schedules, especially on streetcar routes. Instead have an app like Uber that shows exactly where the bus or streetcar is.

I've never believed the printed schedules, especially on streetcar routes. Instead have an app like Uber that shows exactly where the bus or streetcar is.

So long as you mean with digital signage at the stop, I'm fine with that.

You have to accommodate those who don't have smart phones, at least for the next several years.

Its not even the exact times I'm concerned about. Its first and last run times, and overall frequency.

You don't want someone standing at a stop late night or early morning for a bus that will never come.

Back