News   Jul 15, 2024
 447     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 556     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 2K     1 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Wind? Seriously? What is that 1% of mobile subscribers in Toronto? Although it's good for the Wind subscribers...some of my friends with it regularly find themselves without coverage even in the downtown.

The DC metro has had mobile coverage for all the major carriers for about as long as I can remember. Time to catch up with a solution that includes more carriers.

I hope this means that Presto will go in as soon - or sooner - than the wifi. I seem to recall that the need to install power and data capacity was one part of why Presto is taking so long to install on the subway.
If the power for one is related to the power for the other, probably most likely the opposite. The Presto implementation will speed up the WIFI. There might only by 26 stations that will have Presto by the end of June, but 34 stations have already had their power upgraded, and another 22 have the design completed.

Wind? Seriously? What is that 1% of mobile subscribers in Toronto? ... Time to catch up with a solution that includes more carriers.
Any phone carrier has been able to sign up for this for a couple of years now.

Wind is the only one that has chosen to do so.

Complain to your carrier. Threaten to change to Wind if they don't get their act together.

Wind? Seriously? What is that 1% of mobile subscribers in Toronto? Although it's good for the Wind subscribers...some of my friends with it regularly find themselves without coverage even in the downtown.

The DC metro has had mobile coverage for all the major carriers for about as long as I can remember. Time to catch up with a solution that includes more carriers.

Wind is Canada's fastest growing carrier last time I checked. They do have significant market share in Toronto.

Unfortunately, Rogers, Bell and Telus are not interested in providing underground cellular service

WIND is absolutely garbage. Their price is cheap but the network is absolutely abysmal.

I've been with them for three years, and other than a few hiccups, I can't complain. Especially on the price. Their service in smaller cities needs work, but every time I go to London it seems to be improving.

The worst I can say is that downtown their data can struggle, despite having full bars. Not sure if this is because of the tall buildings, concentration of users, or too many idiots trying to run a bittorrent client from their phones. Fortunately WiFi is easy to find in the area in most cases.

Can't think of anything even close to shovel ready that would qualify for funding right now.
The press conference is happening at Hillcrest and John Tory will be attending.

Anyone have a good guess as to what this project can be?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 173
Scarborough subway rehash? Won't be the first time monies get reannounced over and over again, especially since an election is coming up and Stevie got to scatter some cash. Who knows, maybe he'd raise Sheppard from the dead.

AoD

60 more streetcars?

Hard to think what would be such a big announcement at Hillcrest. And you'd think would be bus or streetcar-related.

I doubt it by making announcement at Hillcrest. I'd do that in Scarborough.

I scratch my head on what would be anywhere near there, other than new buses and streetcars. I suppose it could be funding for a bus garage - seems a bit much for the Prime Minister AND the Finance Minister.

Could be some major system-wide (nation-wide) commitment to operational transit funding using TTC buses and new streetcars as a backdrop. But the report is something about infrastructure. The only unfunded biggie I can think of that they'd do there is the 60 additional streetcars.

Toronto Sun is saying funding "Will provide relief for overcrowded transit corridors, connect Torontonians to each other, and to major employment centres across the GTA, and further facilitate commercial flows through the region"

Hmmm, I'd say Smart Track/GO RER, but the "further facilitate commercial flows through the region" part throws me off. Starting to think its simpy re-announcing the infrastructure funding that was included in the budget.

DRL, Smart Track, and tunneling the entire Gardiner!

OMG, it better not just be funding for the Hybrid option! :mad:

Back