255     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 446     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 550     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

TTC introduces 10-minutes-or-better service on buses, streetcars

June 15, 2015

Toronto Transit Commission Chair Josh Colle and TTC Deputy CEO Chris Upfold today announced major improvements to transit service in Toronto.

Last August, the TTC Board approved a report, Opportunities to Improve Transit Service in Toronto. Funding for the improvements was approved by the Board as part of the TTC's 2015 Operating Budget and City Council's commitment to improved transit in Toronto.

In a report to be presented to the TTC Board at its June 22 meeting, 52 bus and streetcar routes will constitute the TTC's Ten-Minute-or-Better Service Network. Fifty-one routes will operate every 10 minutes or better to ensure that frequent and reliable service is available across the city, making transit more convenient for all residents of Toronto. (List of the 52 routes and route map attached)

"Providing quality transit service that is reliable, punctual, frequent that allows Toronto residents to reasonably opt for the TTC when making their way around the city at all times of the day, is critical to our success as a city," said TTC Chair Josh Colle. "Earlier this year, Mayor Tory and City Council made an unprecedented commitment of almost $100 million to the TTC in the form of frontline services for the people of Toronto. As Chair, I am pleased to see us continue to make headway on improving -public transit in Toronto."

The improvements include all four subway lines, 10 streetcar routes and 37 bus routes and will be implemented through the end of 2015 and into 2016.

TTC introduces 10-minutes-or-better service on buses, streetcars

The improvements include all four subway lines, 10 streetcar routes and 37 bus routes and will be implemented through the end of 2015 and into 2016.

10min-service_map061.jpg

65 Parliament caught me by surprise, given it was recently reduced to only once every 18 minutes in AM peak, and is only once every 30 minutes after 10:15 PM on weekdays.

I'd have thought the 75 Sherbourne would have been a better option, as it's already under 10 minutes much of the time.

Every 10 minutes or better on the rapid transit (subway) lines? Currently, they are every 5 minutes during the non-rush hour, or every 2 ½ minutes during the rush hours. Except for Line 4 Sheppard, where it is every 5 minutes during rush hours.

Could they be thinking about changing the headway on Line 4 from every 5 minutes to every 10 minutes, during the non-rush hours. They would still be "every 10 minutes or...", and it would be true, if they do so. The ridership on the Line 4 warrants it, if just to please the bean-counters.

65 Parliament caught me by surprise, given it was recently reduced to only once every 18 minutes in AM peak, and is only once every 30 minutes after 10:15 PM on weekdays.

I'd have thought the 75 Sherbourne would have been a better option, as it's already under 10 minutes much of the time.

I agree. Sherbourne is an absolute mess. Good to see Queen and King get a boost. I take both lines regularly and they can be very frustrating at times.

TTC announcing something to improve the customer experience this morning. Likely speeding up the rollout of Wifi at all subway stations?

As expected, it is WiFi expansion and WIND on the platforms. Big deal. Can we have better housekeeping, less delays and platform barriers instead of this triumphalist BS?

AoD

As expected, it is WiFi expansion and WIND on the platforms. Big deal. Can we have better housekeeping, less delays and platform barriers instead of this triumphalist BS?

AoD

I love WIND. I was so disappointed when I had to switch carriers.

On the bright side, that means you can now browse facebook while waiting on a dirty platform to be crammed into a delayed train.

AoD

There's enough wind on the platforms from the trains pulling in and out. Ugh.

At the end of the day, this costs nothing to the TTC.

Back