News   Jul 15, 2024
 291     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 464     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 550     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

At the end of the day, this costs nothing to the TTC.

But is it important enough to warrant the mayor showing up as if it is the best thing since sliced bread, when the rest of the system is so unreliable? And yeah, those WiFi antennae and associated wiring is doing wonders to the already cluttered aesthetics of the stations - case in point - College.

AoD

On the bright side, that means you can now browse facebook while waiting on a dirty platform to be crammed into a delayed train.

On the even brighter side, you can have people yapping away and hang out in the station at Yonge-Bloor while it is crammed to the tilt with people.

AoD

But is it important enough to warrant the mayor showing up as if it is the best thing since sliced bread, when the rest of the system is so unreliable? And yeah, those WiFi antennae and associated wiring is doing wonders to the already cluttered aesthetics of the stations - case in point - College.

AoD

Should they not announce anything or do anything to improve the customer experience until the new signalling system is installed in 2020?

Nothing wrong with doing short term improvements like signage, wifi, clean bathrooms while longer term and real service improvements are happening in my opinion. There's no mutually choice between one or the other. Installing wifi doesn't negatively impact reliability in any way..

Should they not announce anything or do anything to improve the customer experience until the new signalling system is installed in 2020?

Nothing wrong with doing short term improvements like signage, wifi, clean bathrooms while longer term and real service improvements are happening in my opinion. There's no mutually choice between one or the other. Installing wifi doesn't negatively impact reliability in any way..

On the contrary, I think they are announcing these non-improvements precisely because the rest of the system is so crappy. That's why you do all these big announcements about nothing - because you don't have all that much else to show for it and you want to look like you're doing something.

And of course, just how much annoucements have we heard about real "little things" like cleaniness, audibility of the PA system, signage, etc and concrete steps to improve them? Crickets.

AoD

On the contrary, I think they are announcing these non-improvements precisely because the rest of the system is so crappy. That's why you do all these big announcements about nothing - because you don't have all that much else to show for it and you want to look like you're doing something.

And of course, just how much annoucements have we heard about real "little things" like cleaniness, audibility of the PA system, signage, etc and concrete steps to improve them? Crickets.

AoD

Cleanliness:

https://www.ttc.ca/News/2012/March/0302_clean_trains.jsp

Audibility of PA:

http://metronews.ca/news/toronto/13...s-about-unintelligible-service-announcements/

Signage:

https://www.ttc.ca/News/2014/March/0303_wayfinding.jsp

Of course, just like the wifi and Wind announcement made today, these all take time to implement.

Except some of those quotes are up to three years ago. If you need 3 years (and there are presentations and reports even before that) to figure out how to keep the stations at a higher level of cleanliness, we are in serious trouble (which we are). Ditto the PA system - did we just learn about the issue in April? Anyone who has ever ridden on the subway would know that has been a historical issue. Throwing a bone out for placation is a fairly well practiced PR tactic - where's the beef? The whole cell/wireless access announcement is frankly a big "meh" - as if this is somehow a game changer in transit. It's not.

How cute, just as I am typing this there is yet another tresspasser on the track at Line 2 Spadina.

AoD

Last edited:
Speaking of concrete steps, the entrance to Queen Station at the south-west corner of Queen & Yonge should be re-opening soon with new steps, plus there's elevator refurbishment still in progress at Dundas West and they replaced the missing "tiles" at the bottom of the curved outer walls at Queen's Park, so there IS remedial work being done, but it just seems like so little when there are so many things that need repair.

Except some of those quotes are up to three years ago. If you need 3 years (and there are presentations and reports even before that) to figure out how to keep the stations at a higher level of cleanliness, we are in serious trouble (which we are). Ditto the PA system - did we just learn about the issue in April? Anyone who has ever ridden on the subway would know that has been a historical issue. Throwing a bone out for placation is a fairly well practiced tactic.

AoD

Wow, someone's real nitpicky today. One of the quotes is 3 years old. The rest are recent.

Here's a more recent one on cleanliness for you, which lists some of the improvements that have been made since the older story:

http://metronews.ca/news/toronto/1235117/expect-a-cleaner-more-punctual-ttc-in-2015-byford-says/

That piece is platitude - like should we take this seriously?

“Our stations are world class,” he said. “They’re cleaner than any comparable station around the world.”

Attitudes like that is highly problematical, especially when the claim can be challenged. Besides, if the changes/plans whatnot from 3 years ago had been effective, we won't be having yet another announcement along similar lines 3 years later (i.e. now).

As to being nitpicky - yes, but as a user of the system, I am fairly tired of the unwillingness to address the issues head on instead of being showered with platitudes (like the one previously quoted) - it's disappointing. It's like listening to the station announcements telling you to ride to rocket because it is "the better way" and then followed by one on service suspension because of signal malfunction. It'd be funny if it wasn't so tragic.

And speaking of signals - have additional resources been deployed on the ATC front? The current chief magistrate bragged about spending extra millions to spend up the work on Gardiner West, but I don't recall any herculean effort to do so on the Line 1. Telling isn't it?

AoD

Last edited:
I love WIND. I was so disappointed when I had to switch carriers.

On the bright side, that means you can now browse facebook while waiting on a dirty platform to be crammed into a delayed train.

Don't know your circumstances, but if you are in the GTA most of the time, you might want to just get a prepaid for when out of their calling area. Hell, you might even want to just suck it up and pay the roaming fees, which are pretty low (15 cents per minute, 5 cents per text or per meg of data).

I hope this means that Presto will go in as soon - or sooner - than the wifi. I seem to recall that the need to install power and data capacity was one part of why Presto is taking so long to install on the subway.

- Paul

I love WIND. I was so disappointed when I had to switch carriers.

WIND is absolutely garbage. Their price is cheap but the network is absolutely abysmal.

That piece is platitude - like should we take this seriously?

Attitudes like that is highly problematical, especially when the claim can be challenged. Besides, if the changes/plans whatnot from 3 years ago had been effective, we won't be having yet another announcement along similar lines 3 years later (i.e. now).

As to being nitpicky - yes, but as a user of the system, I am fairly tired of the unwillingness to address the issues head on instead of being showered with platitudes (like the one previously quoted) - it's disappointing. It's like listening to the station announcements telling you to ride to rocket because it is "the better way" and then followed by one on service suspension because of signal malfunction. It'd be funny if it wasn't so tragic.

And speaking of signals - have additional resources been deployed on the ATC front? The current chief magistrate bragged about spending extra millions to spend up the work on Gardiner West, but I don't recall any herculean effort to do so on the Line 1. Telling isn't it?

AoD

World class stations? I wonder what these guys are smoking.

Back