News   Jul 15, 2024
 747     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 904     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 633     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Filip, judging by your posts it appears that living at Humber Bay is more frustrating than it's worth. There is not a single transportation option at that's good enough for you (and perhaps rightfully so). Please do us a favour and move somewhere else, so that we don't have to listen to your rants even couple weeks.

I've lived here for 17 years. Why would I move?

I have to listen to your LRTista fetish rants almost daily, so please spare me the victim complex.
Just buy a car and you can stop complaining about streetcars.

I have one and I use it exclusively for my off-peak driving. Two rules I have:

1) No commuting to work (downtown) using my car
2) No drunk driving (this one is self explanatory and explains my recent adventure with the TTC)

I think that traffic jam at Humber Bay is even more rage-worthy.

What traffic jam? The only jam is being caused by the road works at the Park Lawn/Lake Shore intersection, otherwise smooth sailing.

So re: better transit for Humber Bay Shores. I don't feel like you'll ever get good, fast, reliable transit into downtown from Humber Bay Shores with the 501 streetcar. Yes, you can improve service, but it will always be slow and vulnerable to traffic. Same thing with a bus, it will always be slow, unreliable and stuck in traffic.

Yet the GO Lakeshore line is within a 15 min walk of most of the condos in the area, a GO line with all day two way 30 min service and will likely get more service in the future, and of course 15 min service with GO RER.

A station on Park Lawn would be 15 min walk from most of the condos according to google maps, and 20 min from some further east closer to the river. You could look at other options between Park Lawn and the Humber river but of course people would need a way to walk under the Gardiner from the south to reach the station.

Alternatively, good bus service to the Bloor line, or Mimico station would be a 10 min bus ride.

But yeah, if it were me personally living there right now, and if good transit to downtown were important to me, I'd consider moving. I doubt the above solutions would happen anytime soon. Adding a GO station is a long process. Personally assuming I'd want to live in Etobicoke I'd rather be near the Bloor subway.

Same with a neighbourhood like the Beaches, which I think is beautiful, I'd rather choose east Danforth to be near the subway. I don't want to be in a situation where I'd rely on taking the streetcar for long distances.

I've lived in HBS since 1996 - that is before it was called HBS and back when there were only three condos. Grand Harbour, Marina Del Rey and the Palace Pier/Place twins. I was always a proponent of further development because I naively thought - more development = community perks such as improved transit. The 501 was always a legendary shitshow. Service levels in 1996 are about the same as today. It's not the growth of the area that's causing the issues, the 501 was and remains the issue.

I am not wed to a particular technology. When the 501 is replaced by buses suddenly traffic and transit moves more smoothly along the lake. Frequencies are up, people are getting where they need to go.

Route 66 Prince Edward would need higher frequency.

I had the pleasure of using this bus once in the PM rush. Was left at Old Mill due to the bus being packed - next bus in 15 minutes. Apparently frequencies is something the TTC needs helps with.

Calling for streetcars to be replaced with buses because he hates streetcars isn't my idea of discussing how to improve services.
God forbid what this thread would be like if we all complained about our personal issues with the TTC. *ahem* Bathurst bus *ahem*

Am I wrong to say that if the problem is not enough streetcars to adequately cover Queen + Lakeshore, then shouldn't we just do the right thing and cut the Lakeshore streetcar service? Both camps would be happier.

For me transit is supposed to be functional, not aesthetic. I'd commute on a flying carpet if it were faster than the GO.

I've managed to ween myself off the TTC (I use GO to get to work, and aside from the 10min walk to Mimico, it's great). No more metropasses, no more surly drivers, no more short turns... If only I can find a way to avoid it entirely even off-peak...

Last edited:
But your idea of discussing how to improve services it to tell people to buy a car?

If we can't fix the TTC's reliability issues, people WILL continue to buy cars and traffic WILL continue to get worse and the city WILL become less livable.

Considering he said he would be cabbing from now on, my suggestion on buying a car is reasonable. Save more money. It looks like he does own a car, so maybe he should drive into work if the TTC isn't working for him, or bike to work.

Biking to work from Humber is a good option as the Martin Goodman Trail is cleared during the winter months. It's a popular bike commute route, and the bikes regularly move faster than the traffic along Lake Shore

Considering he said he would be cabbing from now on, my suggestion on buying a car is reasonable. Save more money.
Is it? Last time I looked at vehicle costs in detail (had to claim on my taxes for a couple of years), it was about $7,000 a year - though there was some significant mileage. But it's hard to be under $5,000 (assuming you buy an inexpensive subcompact) once you count depreciation (or drive a $500 junker for 10 years). That's 250 $20 cab rides. or $1500 for an annual Metropass and 175 $20 cab rides.

You can get a lot of cab rides for the cost one pays each year for a car!

2) No drunk driving (this one is self explanatory and explains my recent adventure with the TTC)
Need a rule 3. No drunk posting! :)

Biking to work from Humber is a good option as the Martin Goodman Trail is cleared during the winter months. It's a popular bike commute route, and the bikes regularly move faster than the traffic along Lake Shore

The VP of Development for Concord Adex actually bikes from Humber Bay Shores to Spadina/Bremner along the MGT!

I am not sure why anyone is defending the poor line management - anyone who had ever ridden on transit should know that getting short-turned is the MOST annoying thing ever. You don't improve transit by dissing someone who point out that as it stands the line simply sucks, and people do chose with their feet.

AoD

I am not sure why anyone is defending the poor line management - anyone who had ever ridden on transit should know that getting short-turned is the MOST annoying thing ever. You don't improve transit by dissing someone who point out that as it stands the line simply sucks, and people do chose with their feet.

Exactly. If we want people to use transit, we need to make it something that people want to use.

And it's not as if Humber Bay to downtown is an rare or obscure origin-destination combo. There are thousands of people making that trip every morning. Steve Munro has mentioned many, many times the issues with poor quality of service on 501 and, in particular, west of Humber Loop.

Biking is by far the best option between Humber Bay and downtown. You can get from Humber Bay to Bathurst/Queens Quay pretty much nonstop. I usually do the ride in 20 minutes. Way faster than transit would ever be.

Exactly. If we want people to use transit, we need to make it something that people want to use.

And it's not as if Humber Bay to downtown is an rare or obscure origin-destination combo. There are thousands of people making that trip every morning. Steve Munro has mentioned many, many times the issues with poor quality of service on 501 and, in particular, west of Humber Loop.

Indeed, and the issue is only going to get worse considering the multitude of development sites in the area. Transit planning and performance hasn't caught up with the times. Digging one's head in the sand won't solve the problem.

Biking is by far the best option between Humber Bay and downtown. You can get from Humber Bay to Bathurst/Queens Quay pretty much nonstop. I usually do the ride in 20 minutes. Way faster than transit would ever be.

That's not a universal solution unfortunately.

AoD

It's no secret that TTC line management sucks.

But getting short-turned when the following vehicle is parked right behind the one being short-turned is far less annoying, than having a 20-minute gap in the opposite direction because they didn't short turn on of the two mostly empty bunched vehicles!

But getting short-turned when the following vehicle is parked right behind the one being short-turned is far less annoying, than having a 20-minute gap in the opposite direction because they didn't short turn on of the two mostly empty bunched vehicles!

No excuses. The average rider don't give a damn what happens on the other side - the ridership experience is shaped solely by the one they're on - and it sucked. They paid to get from A to B, not to understand the ifs/ands/buts - that's for the org to figure out and remedy and it isn't happening so far.

AoD

Last edited:

That is true, but unfortunately that never happens. As my example showed, we had two streetcars short turned one after the other at Roncy, with no service for the following 86 minutes!

I had to dig for this wonderful quote from Steve Munro, but he describes it pretty well. How come the route managers don't get fired? At my job, you'd lose your head for such poor performance.

"'My analysis of the 501 route on May 25, 2013' illustrates a complete collapse of anything remotely resembling 'management' of the service, and is a common problem seen in analyses of other route behaviours evenings and weekends. The problems cannot be attributed just to 'traffic congestion' but show an abdication of any attempt to maintain properly spaced service."

Or you know... Build the WWLRT for a minuscule price.

For the people mentioning the WWLRT, please recall that we STILL don't know how that line would get downtown. The project was "delayed" before they figured it out.

Yeah. Do those who mention WWLRT support the Bremner, under the Gardiner thing? It involves a new tunnel to union and new ROW right beside the cityplace condos & Skydome. I don't think it would be THAT cheap.

If it goes on the 509 route between Exhibition and Union, then you have problems with streetcar congestion and a slow route.

Back