News   Jul 15, 2024
 711     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 875     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 625     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

The 509 could be made into a very quick route by:
- elimination of redundant stops (before construction they had 8 or 9 stops from Fleet St to the tunnel (2 km in length). They only need York, Rees, Spadina, Bathurst (stop east of Bathurst on Queens Quay), Fleet. They could also get rid of Bastion on Fleet St.
- burying the streetcar from Dan Lekie onto Fleet St

These small changes would create an express route that then can be extended from the Ex to become the WWLRT fairly inexpensively (all relatively speaking)

Many of the stops you are proposing they eliminate are high demand, and since the reconstruction, stops are well-spaced-apart as it is. From the tunnel (Union, and Queen's Quay Station--hope you're not proposing they eliminate that, half the people getting on at Union get off there in the summer, same at morning rush especially since RBC expanded) to Spadina you have described exactly the stops that exist currently. However, at that point there are some issues: Dan Leckie and Bathurst are both extremely busy stops in my experience. Combining them would inconvenience about half of the streetcar's rush hour users, and makes no sense for a local, non-express route. Similarly, I have found that Bastion is anywhere from 75% to equally busy as Fleet--Dan Leckie, Bathurst, Fleet, and Bastion seem to be almost the entirety of the streetcar's load during rush hours, provided a 510 is kind enough to run ahead of it at the east stops. After that point, Fort York could potentially be eliminated as the two condos that it serves are only a couple of metres closer to it than Bastion, but then Strachan needs to be kept as it can get very busy during events at the DEC and some people transfer between 509/511 and the 29 there. Even if you combine Dan Leckie with Bathurst, and eliminate Bastion--note I would be more in favour of combining Bastion with Fleet at Stadium instead actually--you're not shaving much run time off the route or really preventing it from catching many reds. Bastion's light is almost always green, and loading/unloading usually takes less then 5 seconds there now that POP is in place. Merging 4 stops into 2 will not fix the route and suddenly open it up sufficiently for the extra vehicles needed for the WWLRT--it will save 1 minute, 2 if you're really lucky, each way, and at the cost of a significantly longer walk for many residents.

You seem to be mixing the need for WWLRT, an express/RT line, with the 509, a very well-used local service that serves a route packed with densely populated condos. Yes, WWLRT needs a quick route with few stops, but dismembering the 509 will do huge collateral damage for absolutely no reason whatsoever, as it is a local, non-express route. I think while most WWLRT riders would hate all of the Fleet/QQ stops if it ran along that route, you'll similarly find that most 509 riders will say that, as far as the number/spacing of stops goes, that's not a real issue for the line at all.

Burying it from Dan Leckie to, say, Fleet and Stadium would of course be nice, but there is simply no money for that, especially given that it would only save 3-4 minutes.

Right now, the issue with the 509 is the absolutely idiotic signals along the revitalized QQ, in addition to the sheer number of them. We'll have to wait and see how the priority signalling works starting June/July--CNE increased service should be a really good indicator of how it is. I am strongly suspecting it will be almost as crippling to the 509 as it is today, but I'm a pessimist. Other issues are the pedestrians who jaywalk right in front of the streetcar on its very short green signals, in large crowds, with kids, not caring at all; the cars that block the ROW; the cars that enter the ROW and get confused and decide to sit there for 10 minutes looking at a map...but lights are the biggest. If future service is added the amount of service density on the line--and limitations at Union, unless the toyed-with second loop is built--will get to be an issue, but removing 2 stops will not fix that by even 1 minute.

Its about time that this happen and now to work on the other stops that need to go.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...ps-near-churches-to-be-shuttered-in-june.html

Sunday streetcar stops near churches to be shuttered in June

TTC says move will improve service and fairness, since other places of worship don't have special stops. "It's now 2015,” said spokesperson.

They got rid of the Sunday stops on Roncesvalles Avenue & St. Clair Avenue West, and seems to be OK.

Its about time that this happen and now to work on the other stops that need to go.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...ps-near-churches-to-be-shuttered-in-june.html

[h=1]Sunday streetcar stops near churches to be shuttered in June[/h][h=2]TTC says move will improve service and fairness, since other places of worship don't have special stops. "It's now 2015,” said spokesperson.[/h]

Great news. Just yesterday I was thinking to myself that the stops should be scrapped.

And the "it's 2015" line... Ouch.

The "I understand that they’re saying others don’t have it, but does that mean no one should have it?†is rich.

People would be complaining if we proposed adding religious day stops to mosques or temples.

The "I understand that they’re saying others don’t have it, but does that mean no one should have it?” is rich.

People would be complaining if we proposed adding religious day stops to mosques or temples.

These seniors complain about having to walk a tiny bit more, which makes me wonder how they manage to get on the streetcar from their home in the first place. Some of them probably live midblock or on a side street, other may have transferred from the subway and it's many stairs. I call BS on their whining.

The TTC still have quite a bit of "regular stops" to get rid of, nevermind the Sunday stops. Here's an obvious example: 29th street which is literally 50-70 metres away from 30th street

Have there been any updates on the investigation into that Transit Enforcement Officer who punched a man? It's been more than a month since the investigation was started.

These seniors complain about having to walk a tiny bit more, which makes me wonder how they manage to get on the streetcar from their home in the first place. Some of them probably live midblock or on a side street, other may have transferred from the subway and it's many stairs. I call BS on their whining.

Shhh! You'll ruin the strawman used by some to ensure that the TTC remains as slow as possible! After all, we all know that even if your "theoretical" case existed, that the extra 100 feet they would have to walk would surely make them collapse, you monster!

Seriously, I'm all for making transit accessible, but we need to have a serious discussion rather than the "Won't somebody think of the seniors?" appeal to emotion which seems to come up every time someone discusses consolidating stops. You should see the commotion on the Star's Facebook page about this.

It's not like there's a universal standard for transit stop spacing. What do seniors do in jurisdictions with wider average spacing?

It's Sunday today (May 10th, Mother's Day). Have you used a Sunday Stop today?
Can't recall when I last used a Sunday stop and it has to be a few years or more.

I have yet to see anyone use a Sunday stop this year at all.

I have seen the odd rider used a Sunday stop outside of church service hours over the years, but not around service time.

Shhh! You'll ruin the strawman used by some to ensure that the TTC remains as slow as possible! After all, we all know that even if your "theoretical" case existed, that the extra 100 feet they would have to walk would surely make them collapse, you monster!

Seriously, I'm all for making transit accessible, but we need to have a serious discussion rather than the "Won't somebody think of the seniors?" appeal to emotion which seems to come up every time someone discusses consolidating stops. You should see the commotion on the Star's Facebook page about this.

If it's their facebook page then there probably aren't many seniors.

Back