News   Jul 16, 2024
 106     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 269     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1K     3 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

The first couple of buses - and the first streetcar or two, I believe - which had the stop-calling equipment installed for prototyping and testing were given either a different program or different hardware for the stop-calling display, and used to display all sorts of different types of wipes, flashes and fades on the display every couple of seconds until the next stop was called - at which point it would do it again. I don't know if those vehicles still do this with the most recent update of the stop-calling software, but they certainly did with the previous update.

I don't know what the situation with Dan Leckie Way is, as I can't recall ever seeing anything like that when I've ridden the 509. None of the cars I've ridden have done that with the previous software update.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Now the bigger question is why they even have the Dan Leckie way stop on the 509. It's only about 200 meters from Bathurst St and 300 meters from Spadina (and the condo buildings entrances are even closer to these 2 stops). I was hoping that they would look at rationalizing the stops while getting them ready for the Flexity but I guess we'll have to wait until this part is rebuilt to the south side of the street.

This happened at Queen and Church. Looks like a derailment

w9h8W8J.jpg

oK1FJ3F.jpg

UUR7slh.jpg

http://imgur.com/a/mXMMc

Attachments

• w9h8W8J.jpg
    w9h8W8J.jpg
    801.2 KB · Views: 618
  • oK1FJ3F.jpg
    oK1FJ3F.jpg
    980.9 KB · Views: 626
  • UUR7slh.jpg
    UUR7slh.jpg
    960.1 KB · Views: 660
Do you have any news on the tender for the 40 foot busses? I thought they were expected to be selected more than a month ago.

The 40 footers? Nova won the tender, the TTC managed to have the contract extended to 105 buses, and the first one is on the property at Arrow Division.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Do you suggest they show all 22 current diversions on the front of m.ttc.ca? That kind of devalues the page, doesn't it.

I don't see why not. Not everyone is a transit geek which keeps up to date on every little change or announcement. Having all deviations from the map, whether they were scheduled in advance or occurred unexpectedly, in one place would be convenient.

TTC has an amazing ability to tarnish brand new subway station cladding. This is what I saw at Sheppard-Yonge today, next to the newly built subway entrance on the Sheppard subway platform. I hope it's temporary, but the same thing happened at Downsview station a year or so ago, and no doubt it will happen on the starchitect-designed Spadina extension. I don't understand why?

16637030554_487b5df52c_b.jpg

17233505466_ea907341a2_b.jpg

17259482795_0ece745483_b.jpg

17073256959_a4704b1f4b_b.jpg

TTC has an amazing ability to tarnish brand new subway station cladding. This is what I saw at Sheppard-Yonge today, next to the newly built subway entrance on the Sheppard subway platform. I hope it's temporary, but the same thing happened at Downsview station a year or so ago, and no doubt it will happen on the starchitect-designed Spadina extension. I don't understand why?
Is there no signs up in the station explaining why they are doing this? There normally is.

Sheppard-Yonge is on the list of stations that's supposed to have Presto within 9 weeks, and also on the list of stations where they hadn't started installing power and communications infrastructure in mid-April - so I would expect this is what they are doing. Presumably we are going to see a lot of this in the next 18 months.

Of course, if people didn't insist that they install thing like Presto, wi-fi, and more and more information screens, perhaps they wouldn't have to do stuff like this. :)

Is there no signs up in the station explaining why they are doing this? There normally is.

Sheppard-Yonge is on the list of stations that's supposed to have Presto within 9 weeks, and also on the list of stations where they hadn't started installing power and communications infrastructure in mid-April - so I would expect this is what they are doing. Presumably we are going to see a lot of this in the next 18 months.

Of course, if people didn't insist that they install thing like Presto, wi-fi, and more and more information screens, perhaps they wouldn't have to do stuff like this. :)

As long as they put it back together then it's all good. I've seen a lot of stations where the ceiling looks a lot worse than before there was work done on it. I wish I had pictures to show what happened to Downsview.

I never really understood the TTC's fascination with the drop-ceiling thing. It looks so dated, to me. Montreal makes out just fine with bare concrete. Raddison, Verdun and L'Assomption all come to mind. I always liked how the bare concrete looked on the Sheppard line and thought it was a step in the right direction.

As opposed to the feeling of being in a public washroom on the rest of the BD line?

Can you name all of Toronto's rapid transit stations?: http://m.sporcle.com/games/BillyMumphrey/torontosubwaystations

I got all of them except Midland. I knew I was forgetting the one in between Ellesmere and Scarb Centre and I knew it began with "M". Ughhh

Any regular of this forum who gets a score less than 90% should immediately have their posting privileges revoked :)

Last edited:
Can you name all of Toronto's rapid transit stations?: http://m.sporcle.com/games/BillyMumphrey/torontosubwaystations

I got all of them except Midland. I knew I was forgetting the one in between Ellesmere and Scarb Centre and I knew it began with "M". Ughhh

I wish there was a similar quiz for naming every ttc bus/streetcar route. I got 100% in less than 5 minutes. I also have a transfer from every subway station.

Screen shot 2015-04-27 at 11.38.08 AM.png

Any regular of this forum who gets a score less than 90% should immediately have their posting privileges revoked :)

Ok, then I'll report this post to the mods. You shall be banned because you forgot about Midland station. Say hi to CN Tower for me :)

Attachments

• Screen shot 2015-04-27 at 11.38.08 AM.png
    Screen shot 2015-04-27 at 11.38.08 AM.png
    550.4 KB · Views: 448

Back