News   Jul 16, 2024
 304     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 415     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.2K     3 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Has anyone been on the TTC Mobile site? I had a horrible experience because of it. Was going out to Spadina and Queen on the weekend. On the way to the subway checked the mobile site and say there were 8 TTC warnings (and looked on the display advertising at the station as well). Nothing about the Spadina diversion. (and for some reason my mind blanked and forgot about it)

If I know about it I would have gone Bloor to University to Queen streetcar and it should have only been a 45 minute trip. Instead I got off at Spadina and the replacement service made it a 1 hour 10 minute trip.

Re-looking at the mobile website they only show unscheduled issues (i.e. elevator out of service) and not the scheduled ones. Stupidity! Why aren't they all populated together on one screen? (I understand the need for elevator warnings for the disabled but not showing the Spadina diversion????)

re: door width

I am not sure if wider doors are the solution. Removing the glass panel and prevent riders from blocking the doorway might be a good start. Further down the line, maybe we should look into a 5 door subway car instead (increasing ingress/egress points will probably gives you a better bang for the buck than increasing the already wide doors further - at the cost of increasing complexity, decreasing seating, etc)

AoD

Has anyone been on the TTC Mobile site? I had a horrible experience because of it. Was going out to Spadina and Queen on the weekend. On the way to the subway checked the mobile site and say there were 8 TTC warnings (and looked on the display advertising at the station as well). Nothing about the Spadina diversion. (and for some reason my mind blanked and forgot about it)

If I know about it I would have gone Bloor to University to Queen streetcar and it should have only been a 45 minute trip. Instead I got off at Spadina and the replacement service made it a 1 hour 10 minute trip.

Re-looking at the mobile website they only show unscheduled issues (i.e. elevator out of service) and not the scheduled ones. Stupidity! Why aren't they all populated together on one screen? (I understand the need for elevator warnings for the disabled but not showing the Spadina diversion????)
The service alerts are not for long-term service changes. They normally announce long-term changes there for a few days ... but it's been going now for 2 weeks.

It's still shown right on the front of the TTC home page - http://www.ttc.ca/

If I open ttc.ca on my Blackberry, I can see the announcement.

If I open m.ttc.ca on my Blackberry I don't see it straight away, nor any of the other 21 current diversions, but if click on 510, then it shows me.

Do you suggest they show all 22 current diversions on the front of m.ttc.ca? That kind of devalues the page, doesn't it.

I'm not sure why when you got off at Spadina station, and noticed that the streetcar was replaced by bus, that you didn't just get on the next train, which would have only cost you about 5 minutes instead of 25 minutes.

I know TTC can be bad at communication at times. I don't think this is an example of that though.

This is a bit random, but anyone ever notice the when the 509 streetcars (CLRVs) are heading towards the Dan Leckie Way stop, that the stop announcement sign has fun with the stop name?

Normally, the streetcar announces the upcoming stop, and the stop name comes up on the LED sign behind the driver, staying there, solid, for like 10 seconds. When Dan Leckie Way comes up, the text on the LED sign scrolls, and flashes, and has all kinds of effects done. That's the only stop I've noticed it happen anywhere on the streetcar system.

I feel like someone was having fun when they programmed the LED sign...

Was this on a Nova bus? I believe only the Nova articulated buses were restricted.

That is correct, only the Nova articulated are thus far restricted. Bikes are allowed on all other makes and models of buses.

8400 was delivered with the same type of rack that the articulated buses were delivered with, so it remains to be seen what will happen exactly when the 40 footers begin to enter service.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

This is a bit random, but anyone ever notice the when the 509 streetcars (CLRVs) are heading towards the Dan Leckie Way stop, that the stop announcement sign has fun with the stop name?

Normally, the streetcar announces the upcoming stop, and the stop name comes up on the LED sign behind the driver, staying there, solid, for like 10 seconds. When Dan Leckie Way comes up, the text on the LED sign scrolls, and flashes, and has all kinds of effects done. That's the only stop I've noticed it happen anywhere on the streetcar system.

Does this happen all the time?

I've seen this happen on the Eglinton West bus on New Years. I think the operator erraneously put on a celebration preset.

It happens on buses and streetcars and not at any particular stop. It's pretty rare, I'm not sure why it happens. My best guess is it's a default effect cycle built into the display that is triggered for whatever reason.

It happens on buses and streetcars and not at any particular stop. It's pretty rare, I'm not sure why it happens. My best guess is it's a default effect cycle built into the display that is triggered for whatever reason.

The first couple of buses - and the first streetcar or two, I believe - which had the stop-calling equipment installed for prototyping and testing were given either a different program or different hardware for the stop-calling display, and used to display all sorts of different types of wipes, flashes and fades on the display every couple of seconds until the next stop was called - at which point it would do it again. I don't know if those vehicles still do this with the most recent update of the stop-calling software, but they certainly did with the previous update.

I don't know what the situation with Dan Leckie Way is, as I can't recall ever seeing anything like that when I've ridden the 509. None of the cars I've ridden have done that with the previous software update.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I haven't seen it in a while so it might be patched out, who knows. One thing I don't like is that it stops displaying the stop name after a few seconds and is just a black screen. I'd rather have it persist until the doors open or the next stop is announced.

I haven't seen it in a while so it might be patched out, who knows. One thing I don't like is that it stops displaying the stop name after a few seconds and is just a black screen. I'd rather have it persist until the doors open or the next stop is announced.
Yes, this is a very annoying feature of an otherwise very useful service. I raised it with Brad Ross several years ago and was told "that's how it is" but it does seem silly not to display the stop one is actually at. I often hear people (visitors?) saying "Is this X?" It would seem easy to adjust the timing to keep the stop name lit for longer but what do I know!

Back