News   Jul 16, 2024
 398     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 509     2 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.3K     3 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

I doubt the Hong Kong model would work here. For one, MTR and the government work together. Good luck getting TO council to work together in improving the TTC.

175% from fares alone is incredible.

Im pretty sure as the article suggests, that the root cause of such profit is the fact that stations are integrated with the community aka community hubs.
As a contrast, many TTC stations pop out to nothing but old neighbourhoods and low density residences. I remember them starting to sell off development rights along a couple
stations on the west portion of the ECT but in order to actually make money and be profitable they need to develop something on the scale of the celestica redevelopment proposal.
Unfortunately that will never happen and I'm afraid alot of stations in the 2020s will perform alot like Bessarion

I doubt the Hong Kong model would work here. For one, MTR and the government work together. Good luck getting TO council to work together in improving the TTC.

Well so far Tory and Byford have made a fairly positive start. Theyve pushed up the Presto integration by a year and did a whole sweep of the subway extension. Lets see what happens after year 1, but I agree
the divide may be too great for our generation unfortunately

If the city and the TTC (and GO for the same reasons) could actually own the buildings and be able to lease them out, they both would be able to run much more efficiently in the long term. Unfortunately, the city keeps selling off property for the quick cash, instead of thinking long term.

Yeah.

Hopefully they retain some land with the Relief Line and SmartTrack, especially around the Uniliver site. I could see those lands become very valuable in the future.
Though I agree that retaining land for transit functions is a good idea do you actually know if any of the land around the Unilever site is currently in public hands?

Also, why are they getting paid for 8 hours when they are only providing 5 hours of standby? I'm all for unions and good pay, and I know that this isn't going to balance the budget, but it seems like a lousy deal for the TTC. If they want to be paid for 8 hours, then stay on standby for 8 hours.

The contract currently includes NO part-timers, whence the 8 hour minimum pay. The arbitrators during the next contract negotiations should accept part-timers.

Back