8     0 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 249     0 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 408     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

More delays

1716309279001.png

Honestly after today's cluster***** clown show, I dont see how Rick Leary can or should continue as TTC CEO. The number of safety incidents which have happened under his watch, not even talking about general service degradation and non existent line management, has gotten out of hand.

Let's make a list of all the near disasters which have happened under his watch (feel free to add other incidents I missed):

1) Near catastrophic collision of 2 trains on Line 1 around Osgoode station, with 1 train stopping just metres short of colliding with an in-service train

2) Keele Yard derailment of subway train, in which was caused by the TTC failing to replace a part they knew needed to be replaced for over 2 years

3) Near catastrophic SRT derailment, leading to the ultimate permanent closure of Line 3

4) Cracked switch near Museum station which could have led to a severe derailment had the TTC not been lucky with instituting a slow order around the problem spot (only reason the slow order existed was because the TTC instituted around a dozen slow orders around the system because of the Line 3 incident).

I dont know what the mayor is waiting for to give this sorry fool the boot, do we have to wait for customers to get killed in an incident before he finally gets fired?

This would be a great letter to the editor of The Star. Get the general public clamouring for his head and then maybe it will finally roll.

theres only so much TTC can do against people who are dumb and dont deserve to drive...
Those curbs should be high enough and strong enough to stop cars. I know it's not scenic, but the current ones seem more of a suggestion. Why not use similar ones used to stop them from running of the bridge?

1716329167673.png

Those curbs should be high enough and strong enough to stop cars. I know it's not scenic, but the current ones seem more of a suggestion. Why not use similar ones used to stop them from running of the bridge?

That's a pretty stiff curb........something like 8 inches? (its well over double, if not triple most sidewalk curbs). Most cars will not take well to attempting to mount that.

I don't think it would be worthwhile to mount industrial grade guard rails or jersey barriers all along the route, a side to side climb by accident isn't quite impossible but beyond unlikely.

That said, where, as in this case, an intersection faces the ROW, I think there's a case to be made for a 15M stretch of guard rail. {there shouldn't be, but the evidence is what it is)

View attachment 565714
Having passed this area daily for years higher curbs would be pointless since it’s so rare, if someone wants to purposefully do something dumb they can just block the intersection or drive onto the tracks there

Having passed this area daily for years higher curbs would be pointless since it’s so rare, if someone wants to purposefully do something dumb they can just block the intersection or drive onto the tracks there
Rare on this one spot? Sure, rare on the whole corridor? I won't be so sure. Cars crash all the time all over. You want to protect the right of way from potential intrusions to minimize disruption.

Rare on this one spot? Sure, rare on the whole corridor? I won't be so sure. Cars crash all the time all over. You want to protect the right of way from potential intrusions to minimize disruption.
True, especially considering that even the subway ROW caught a piece of car (albeit not a whole one) back in September.

Back