News   May 08, 2024
 668     0 
News   May 08, 2024
 919     1 
News   May 08, 2024
 2.1K     3 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

This station in Wales has the longest name (without spaces):

the-station-with-the-longest-name-if-the-world-llanfairpwllgwtngl-GT39KF.jpg

This is Metrolinx fault.
How SO???

Given the fact 4400 arrived almost 6 month late and 4401 & 4402 almost a year late. Long before Metrolinx every order their cars. Two different animals in the first place as well

How SO???

Given the fact 4400 arrived almost 6 month late and 4401 & 4402 almost a year late. Long before Metrolinx every order their cars. Two different animals in the first place as well

Honestly it makes total business sense to do this. If the TTC has reason to believe that Bombardier will not meet their obligations they have every right to want to find new suppliers.

Can you honestly expect them to wait another 10 years to complete the order (if it came down to it). We have no way of predicting how badly they will screw up so the TTC wants to hedge their bets and cover their asses.

Good on them.

Honestly it makes total business sense to do this. If the TTC has reason to believe that Bombardier will not meet their obligations they have every right to want to find new suppliers.

Can you honestly expect them to wait another 10 years to complete the order (if it came down to it). We have no way of predicting how badly they will screw up so the TTC wants to hedge their bets and cover their asses.

Good on them.
You have taken my comment out of content and if you look back to 2015, you would see me calling for TTC since then to issue a tender for the option 60 cars, since TTC would see them before BBD fulfill their contract. I have no faith in BBD and look forward not seeing their name on the the tender list for the new order of subway cars that will happen sooner than later.

My comment that you used was in response to someone statement that it was Metrolinx fault for TTC cars being late. How did Metrolinx cause TTC order to be delay??

I am surprise that an RFI has gone out and long over due. BBD can't force TTC to fulfill the option to them for the extra 60 cars as its an option that can be change anytime. Given the fact that the current order is about 2 years behind schedule gives TTC the option to look elsewhere and many system have gone this route in the past for various reason. It has happen a few times this year for a few systems. At this time you got Alstom, Siemens AG, CAF, Stadler Rail AG, CRRC Corp Ltd, Kawasaki Rail Car Inc, PESA, Škoda Transportation as right off the bat that will/could look at TTC RFI. There are a few other that could be on the list as well. Škoda Transportation as T15 is close to what TTC has today.

One question that should be asked, why BBD hasn't pickup an order since they blew Minneapolis order in the early 2000's??? Same issues as TTC then, related to welding and frames.

BBD has 6 days to ship 3 cars to comply with Sept delivery schedule and don't seeing it happening. Only 4 cars this month with 7 to come in Oct.

As for the option, it was supposed to happen in 2015 upon the arrival of the 60th car that is now schedule for Nov or Dec this year that is 2 years behind schedule.

Last edited:
There is still the main problem with Bombardier's problems. The suppliers. The very same suppliers who would also supply the other manufacturers. Most follow the "just in time" inventory strategy (in theory, increases efficiency and decrease waste by receiving goods only as they are needed in the production process, thereby reducing inventory costs). Of course, if there are problems, it escalates lateness.

As for the option, it was supposed to happen in 2015 upon the arrival of the 60th car that is now schedule for Nov or Dec this year that is 2 years behind schedule.
The TTC and Bombardier are talking about deferring that at this [oint ther isn't relly afixed date for it. If you wnt to know waht my source is read the article you linkled to from the satr.

Read the full article and not just the headline also go and rewatch the last TTC commission meeting Andy Byford even say it in his CEO's reprt. Theya re in talks to possibly defer when they willd ecded to order the extra 60. The offer they jkust pout out is for an addtianl 100 cars outside of the Bambardier contart Bomabarierd has even said that they have looked at oit as as has Semins if you read the artiucal and don't just jump to the conclusions that satr wants you too with ther headline.

Read the full article and not just the headline also go and rewatch the last TTC commission meeting Andy Byford even say it in his CEO's reprt. Theya re in talks to possibly defer when they willd ecded to order the extra 60. The offer they jkust pout out is for an addtianl 100 cars outside of the Bambardier contart Bomabarierd has even said that they have looked at oit as as has Semins if you read the artiucal and don't just jump to the conclusions that satr wants you too with ther headline.
TTC like any other system can defer or cancel options when it's in their best interest. They can go else where for those options.

Based on TTC going out for an RFI and a meeting schedule in Octobers with suppliers, TTC is saying they may defer looking at the option pertaining to the contract until they know what the markets looks like as well what time frame they maybe looking for delivery. They will also have an idea what cost they maybe looking at for these cars. Once TTC has all this info, only then will they say which way they want to go to the point they may say bye bye BBD and we will see you about 10 years or so down the road bidding on our contracts then.

Since Siemens has the lion share of new cars in NA, they want to add TTC to that list of buyer for their cars as well keep the market to themselves. The 3-7 cars orders can be handle by small suppliers in the US at this time, but will not stop Siemens bidding on them.

I thought I was bad for posting, but yours took some doing to understand what you are saying.

Back