News   May 03, 2024
 571     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 365     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 204     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

I'm surprised they aren't planning to retain the existing tracks on Parliament.
They are and part of future lines to go into the 2018 update city plan. Its will run from the QQE to Castle Frank Station

Who says?

I think that nfitz was making the logical progression that because they weren't listed on the map of the future Harbourfront East network that they would be removed.

In fairness, I think that the map shows the future routes, and not the actual track layout.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I think that nfitz was making the logical progression that because they weren't listed on the map of the future Harbourfront East network that they would be removed.

In fairness, I think that the map shows the future routes, and not the actual track layout.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.
OK - during the QQE EA discussions it was clear that they would NOT bring the existing Parliament Street track south of King (where it ends now - Bridge too narrow, Cherry gives better access to more people etc.). There was never discussion of removing track on Parliament north of King and this area is really not in the 'waterfront area" so there was/is no reason why it would appear on the map Walter Lis posted..

Who says?
The figure posted above showed nothing on Parliament - though I suppose it could simply exclude non-revenue trackage now that the 508 service has been cancelled. I also assumed that it was part of the RFI, given the context of the image; I'm actually not sure why it's there now I read further.

OK - during the QQE EA discussions it was clear that they would NOT bring the existing Parliament Street track south of King (where it ends now - Bridge too narrow, Cherry gives better access to more people etc.). There was never discussion of removing track on Parliament north of King and this area is really not in the 'waterfront area" so there was/is no reason why it would appear on the map Walter Lis posted..
The amount of work they have to do at Bay and Cherry, and widening a bridge isn't an option? God forbid we should actually ever connect across the tracks.

I really think they messed this up. Cherry also makes little sense, pretty much failing to serve the new West Donlands area to the point they are now talking about extending the 121 east of Parliament, to actually provide service to this area. Although Cherry might ultimately be redeemed with the proposed subway station at King and Sumach (though hopefully the idiots who designed the tracks can figure out how to install a northbound stop there ...).

The obvious way to service the area would be an east-west track down Front East . Perhaps even finding a way to weave it over the railway tracks, Don River, Don Roadway, and under the DVP onto the Lever lands and meeting (and crossing?) to the Broadview extension and East Harbour (Broadview/Eastern) station. Heck, if you run it west to Union (would double-ended streetcars kill us?) and you can get rid of all those *#&(@ shuttle buses that plague the area.

Last edited:
The figure posted above showed nothing on Parliament - though I suppose it could simply exclude non-revenue trackage now that the 508 service has been cancelled. I also assumed that it was part of the RFI, given the context of the image; I'm actually not sure why it's there now I read further.

The amount of work they have to do at Bay and Cherry, and widening a bridge isn't an option? God forbid we should actually ever connect across the tracks.

I really think they messed this up. Cherry also makes little sense, pretty much failing to serve the new West Donlands area to the point they are now talking about extending the 121 east of Parliament, to actually provide service to this area. Although Cherry might ultimately be redeemed with the proposed subway station at King and Sumach (though hopefully the idiots who designed the tracks can figure out how to install a northbound stop there ...).

The obvious way to service the area would be an east-west track down Front East . Perhaps even finding a way to weave it over the railway tracks, Don River, Don Roadway, and under the DVP onto the Lever lands and meeting (and crossing?) to the Broadview extension and East Harbour (Broadview/Eastern) station. Heck, if you run it west to Union (would double-ended streetcars kill us?) and you can get rid of all those *#&(@ shuttle buses that plague the area.
1. I was not stating what made sense only saying that in the East Bayfront EA the idea of extending the streetcar tracks on Parliament south of King and toQQE was rejected. The rationale to use Cherry is in the EA document.
2. The 121 bus has gone east on Front to Cherry Street since it was introduced last year, there is talk of extending it a bit further so it goes to Bayview.
3. There have always been 'hopes" - if not firm plans - to bring the Cherry Street spur streetcar line through to QQE. It is POSSIBLE that this work may be incorporated into (or done with) the work GO are planning with widening/rebuilding the rail bridges so they can add more tracks. The GO work will certainly require the relocation of the historic (and soon to be unused) signal 'tower' to the east of the Cherry Street bridge and this would also be necessary if the streetcar ever got its own tunnel through the berm.

From day one, the vision for Cherry St extension are:
1) As is with 514 in Mix traffic:

2) Punch a hole on either side for cycles and pedestrians with 514 in the centre lane ROW that will require the road to be lower or in the northbound lanes;

3) Punch a hole on the east side for the 514 with the exist underpass been converted to single lane with cycle lanes to match the north side;

4) A new underpass to fit everything in its own lanes at a cost about $50 million and that price included access to a GO Cherry St Station that is now dead.

There has never been "HOPE" to extend the Cherry St Line, but "WILL HAPPEN" when the Portland area is ready for it.

The earliest it can happen is between 2025-2030 base on when the land is clean up, the new channel built and the new Cherry St Bridge. Work is supposed to get underway this year to start filling in the land to the south that will support the south pier of the bridge and supposed to be completed by 2020. As to when the bridge is built depends on when there is money for it and after 2020.

You got to build the infrastructure for the new Cherry St as well a new bridge on Commissioner St over the new channel that will include the ROW for the new lines.

All the the existing land will be raise about 1.5 meters and that is a lot of back filling to be done.

There was a vision to relocated the control tower, but no time frame back in 2008.

I had an interesting experience today on one of the new cars on 509 today it was on 4442 as it was coming out of Queens Quay station. I was watching another car pull in and saw a blue flash and we slowed almost to a stop and the Ac stopped working and the lights dimmed a bit too then it sort of rebooted itself and we moved along fine afterwards I wonder if it's posable that the poles of the two cars touched or something else happened for it to do that,

4443 will finally enter service for Friday AM peak Service.

Will 4444 show up at Hillcrest on Friday as well, or will we see it on Monday??

2. The 121 bus has gone east on Front to Cherry Street since it was introduced last year, there is talk of extending it a bit further so it goes to Bayview.
Routes 72 and 172 got to Cherry before that, going back years.

I was referring however, to routes serving the West Donlands, which are bordered on the west by Cherry. They'd have been better by a route along Front. Or at a minimum, down Cherry, and then a long loop up to River, and back west on King from River/King - which is similar to the earlier proposals.

Back