News   May 06, 2024
 470     1 
News   May 06, 2024
 1K     0 
News   May 06, 2024
 669     1 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

Well in any case, if water snow and ice do become a problem, its not like designing some kind of roof covering structure after the fact would be that hard to do, and would probably be paid for by Bombardier.

Depending where CP is on delivery of 4429, we may see it by Wed. 4428 could be ready to go into service on Wed/Thurs with the amount of hours its been on the road these days if testing doesn't have any issues. 4428 has been out in Long Branch the last 12 plus hours from what I have seen so far. It currently at the Long Branch loop and has been there the last 15 minutes..

Not sure how TTC doing crew changes for these 12 plus hours runs. Have only done a few spot check and wasn't planning on being up this late to see it still out in the west end.

We may see 4430 get ship mid week and still leaves time to get 4431 and 4432 to TTC by year end. If 4431 and 4432 did show up by year end, TTC got a nice Christmas gift by seeing 31/32 car, not the promise 30 car.

Will BBD continue to give better deliveries in 2017 like the past few cars?? If so, TTC will get more than the plan 47 in 2017 and TTC will love that.

As for TTC equipment on the roof, Europe being doing this for decades and don't seem to have any issues with it being open to the weather.

My contact in Thunder Bay forwarded three additional photos of TTC 4429 being switched by CP 4400, on Sunday, December 11th, 2016, in CP's "E" yard in downtown Thunder Bay. Just for contrast he converted one picture to black and white. Bryan Martyniuk photos with permission.

cr cp4400  ttc4429 E yard-1.jpg cr cp4400  ttc4429 E yard-2.jpg r ttc4429bw.jpg

Attachments

• cr cp4400  ttc4429 E yard-1.jpg
    cr cp4400 ttc4429 E yard-1.jpg
    352.5 KB · Views: 512
  • cr cp4400  ttc4429 E yard-2.jpg
    cr cp4400 ttc4429 E yard-2.jpg
    396.8 KB · Views: 702
  • r ttc4429bw.jpg
    r ttc4429bw.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 482
At least Bryan Martyniuk is attempting to be careful not to photograph too much of the Flexity's organs.

Well this is a family forum. ;)

It's good to see another Flexity on its way. I really hope that Bombardier has straightened out their problems and that we'll see at least forty new streetcars in the New Year.

4428 was been tested on St Clair tonight and currently at Hillcrest.

4429 was put on a Toronto bound CP train Sunday and a little early for 4428 to pickup 4429 at Hillcrest.

If 4428 is about ready for service any day now, then TTC is cutting the lead time down to get a car tested to match the weekly delivery of cars starting in 2017. No idea if TTC/BBD is setup to handle 2 cars being tested at the same time, so they don't get backup on cars being delivery weekly or every 5 days.

How many of the old CLRV's and ALRV's will they have retired by the end of 2016?
so far only CLRVs have been retired in a one for one with the arrival of Flexs. Parts are stripped from them that can be used for rebuilding others. Mainly it's also been ones in accidents and the one that was stripped to see if rebuilding from the ground up would be possible.

4428 was been tested on St Clair tonight and currently at Hillcrest.

4429 was put on a Toronto bound CP train Sunday and a little early for 4428 to pickup 4429 at Hillcrest.

If 4428 is about ready for service any day now, then TTC is cutting the lead time down to get a car tested to match the weekly delivery of cars starting in 2017. No idea if TTC/BBD is setup to handle 2 cars being tested at the same time, so they don't get backup on cars being delivery weekly or every 5 days.
I wonder if hey are going to keep it up there until 4429 arrives so it can bring it down to Lesslie before 4428 goes into service?

I wonder if hey are going to keep it up there until 4429 arrives so it can bring it down to Leslie before 4428 goes into service?
It was back up on St Clair later for testing. It currently setting in the Barns and wouldn't surprise to see it in service come Wednesday or Thursday if no issues are found.

A lot of those scrap cars weren't worth the time and money to keep them on the road for a few more months. If TTC keeps gets cars like they have been this past month, you keep scraping cars as they come due to be retire.

CP may have 4429 at Hillcrest anytime from Wednesday to Friday this week and will 4428 go and pick it up before going into service like 4427 did for getting 4428??

And we have a shortage of streetcars? Shouldn't they be delaying the retirement until they no longer need replacement buses for the streetcars?
Remember Hillcrest is kept busy refurbing ALRVs so presumably there is only so much capacity left to keep dying LRVs serviceable, and that's before you factor substantial crash damage which might have seen the LRV written off whether or not there were new ones coming.

It often feels like the 510 Spadina might have too many streetcars running on it, I was out filming the Flexities yesterday and remember watching 3 or 4 streetcars go Northbound before the first came South. If they better managed the route they could probably move some of the cars to other routes and still maintain good frequency.

I think the number of cars is fine--it's solely an issue of poor (or, rather, nonexistent) route management.

Back