News   May 27, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   May 27, 2024
 965     1 
News   May 27, 2024
 5.2K     3 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

Here is TTC 4429, the 29th Flexity tram, sitting at the gate of the Bombardier plant in Thunder Bay, this afternoon, Friday, December 9th, 2016. GO 358 the next CEM cab car to be delivered is also at the gate. The CP switcher will pick them up and transfer them downtown to "E" yard, where they will be staged for pickup by CP Train 420. Bryan Martyniuk photo with permission.

View attachment 93787

Finally kicking it into high gear. Only took 2 years.

Lets see if Bombardier can maintain a similar pace in the new year.

To me right now this feels like a College Freshman racing to get all his essays done the night before finals week.

Let's just hope they are of better build quality than my last minute essays.

I don't really care too much about the reasons behind Bombardier's slow performance to date, I suspect there are multiple reasons most of which we'll never know. The important thing is that they step up production and start delivering quality streetcars on a frequent and regular basis. It looks to me like they may have the bugs ironed out so let's all keep our fingers crossed for better performance from Bombardier in the New Year.

I don't really care too much about the reasons behind Bombardier's slow performance to date, I suspect there are multiple reasons most of which we'll never know. The important thing is that they step up production and start delivering quality streetcars on a frequent and regular basis. It looks to me like they may have the bugs ironed out so let's all keep our fingers crossed for better performance from Bombardier in the New Year.
That's been my think all along people always seem to only believe they want to about something, and trying to convince them otherwise is like trying to break a rock with a pin.

"The average voter is ignorant and gullible" is the #1 rule of politics right now pretty much world wide. A few half truths about forcing Bombardier to deliver will help Tory in 2018.

Often in politics the best thing you can do is nothing as most situations resolve themselves. Tory managed to do nothing while also making it look like he did something.

I call it "SmartTracking"

4428 on Lake Shore W just west of the Humber Loop

DSC_7422.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_7422.jpg
    DSC_7422.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 770
It always seems kind of odd to me that Flexities don't have a covering on top, i.e., the machinery is exposed to the elements. Anyone know anything about this?

It always seems kind of odd to me that Flexities don't have a covering on top, i.e., the machinery is exposed to the elements. Anyone know anything about this?

We've had these streetcars for several years and they underwent extensive extreme weather testing at the NRC prior to that--rest assured, when they put the machinery on top, they were aware that these streetcars would sometimes be outside.

We've had these streetcars for several years and they underwent extensive extreme weather testing at the NRC prior to that--rest assured, when they put the machinery on top, they were aware that these streetcars would sometimes be outside.

I know that this is part of the design and I'm sure the NRC did a good job as they always do (my dad used to work for the NRC years ago, so I'm biased in their favour). It just looks strange to me. Oh well, what the hell, I'm not an engineer! LOL

Just because the top of the vehicle isn't finished like the sides, doesn't mean the things important parts aren't enclosed. We can clearly see that most of the components are enclosed in a casing. Adding proper exterior finished to the top would only add to cost and weight.

And in any case, I'm sure the engineers at BBD have thought long and hard about this.

o-STREETCARS-CRASH-facebook.jpg

I had the same initial reaction - but trapped water, salt, and heat are usually more harmful to machinery than exposure to open air. I'm betting the design takes waterproofing seriously. I have seen other types of railcars 'deluge tested' - they are put through a lot.

Mounting all of it on the roof is probably better than having it underfloor as older designs did - less opportunity for crud to accumulate and better drained and dryed.

Cheaper to maintain, too. Yeah, there may be occasions where accumulated ice has to be thawed off the top before components can be worked on, but shrouding equipment means added workload to remove the covers every time it must be inspected or serviced, and the covers get in the way.

My question is - how good is the drainage up there.... don't want the runoff seeping into the interior walls of the railcar. That's a recipe for corrosion, mould, and electrical issues.

- Paul

Just because the top of the vehicle isn't finished like the sides, doesn't mean the things important parts aren't enclosed. We can clearly see that most of the components are enclosed in a casing.

I'm definitely not concerned about that. It's just that aesthetically, it's like having a car without a hood.

My question is - how good is the drainage up there.... don't want the runoff seeping into the interior walls of the railcar. That's a recipe for corrosion, mould, and electrical issues.

- Paul

There is virtually no opportunity for water to sit on the roof of the car, except for perhaps on the lids of some of the equipment boxes. The roof is slightly curved from side-to-side, and water is able to seep underneath the roof-top "skirts" and down the outsides of the cars.

I'm definitely not concerned about that. It's just that aesthetically, it's like having a car without a hood.

A hood is below your eye level. In the majority of the cases, the top of the streetcar is not.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Back